• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do your lovebirds like music?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So recently there was a thread about birds and music ( Music | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum ) ....

But I want to put it to the lovebird owners... do your lovies like music? Because I don´t know if mine do or don´t. Lovebirds don´t typically ¨dance¨ or bob along with the music.

I´m getting some work done, and I thought I´d put some music on while I do. I´m playing the ¨pop rock shot¨ playlist on spotify.(it´s quite good ;) )

I got the usual response - flock calling and a general racket.

But, if I start singing, clicking my fingers, gently clapping or tap the desk along to the beat, they fall quite silent and watch me. I turn into the entertainment...
That´s not ideal while I´m trying to work as I need both hands.
When I stop, the flock calling starts up.

For now, they have been excluded and I have my earphones in :roflmao:

BTW, If i have Sydney out with me while I play music, he´s silent. I dont think he cares for the music, he just likes being with me...

I would love to know what happens with your lovebirds when you play music!
It will be interesting to see how flocks of different numbers of lovebirds react.

:serenade::sing:

:bml::bpflb::fischers::flb::blb::lbpied2::sglb::opflb::pflb::piedlovie::rflb::vlb2::wflb::ypflb:

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Is the lovebird signature the flock you aspire to? Haha they're so cute drawn up.

I have the radio on often for Aoife. She's not a lone bird, but she's a lone lovebird. She doesn't seem to have an opinion on the music, and same as yours, I turn into the entertainment. I like to make her "dance" while she's on my hand. Her "song" is Dancing Queen, but I change it to Dancing Bird. She seems to have fun with me but doesn't care about the music. I like to have noise for her when I'm not home and often it's NPR (public radio that does lots of news.)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Is the lovebird signature the flock you aspire to? Haha they're so cute drawn up.

I have the radio on often for Aoife. She's not a lone bird, but she's a lone lovebird. She doesn't seem to have an opinion on the music, and same as yours, I turn into the entertainment. I like to make her "dance" while she's on my hand. Her "song" is Dancing Queen, but I change it to Dancing Bird. She seems to have fun with me but doesn't care about the music. I like to have noise for her when I'm not home and often it's NPR (public radio that does lots of news.)
Also, I'm kind of a crazy person, I sing at all my animals, all the time. :cool::dance5::dance4:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Haha they're so cute drawn up.
Right?

Yea, if the birds are out of cage, they don´t scream as much over the music.

I just gave it another go, I´m just gonna have a little break from work, so I played the music for them again. At first they were quiet, listening... But iwthin a few minutes the calling started.....

Wait for it...

Vichy (the lovebird who is the twin of Loki) who lives 4 apartments down the road started flock calling back :facepalm:

It is pretty warm here now, so my door is wide open, and in front of us is another apartment block so sound travels up and down the road like a halfpipe. Vichy lives up in the corner flat, same floor. The neighbours between us are going to get angry hahaha - That´s payback for Mr Martillo (hammer) who lives next to me between me and Vichy :muahaha:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Apollo likes to bob his head to music, Cole will only do one bob and just stare at me. I usually have the radio one when I leave for work but my intention is to drown out the noise from my neighbors garage opening or maybe hearing a door open/close so the boys don't think I am home and start calling for me. I think Loki enjoys napping to music or maybe she just enjoys napping in general. Her yesterday when I was at work. If I am home playing music I'll just usually get a grunt from the boys, Loki will occasionally go into the tissue box and bang her head like a drummer girl. Apollo only "dances" if he is on me.

Last edited:

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I play our local classical music station 24/7 in the bird room. I turn it way way down at night so it is just white noise, but during the day it is up at a comfortable level. The birds don't bob their head or dance, but they seem relaxed and they chirp and chortle and talk to each other and there is much less screaming. They get quiet when there is choral playing.........they get real still and just listen, LOL.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Also, I'm kind of a crazy person, I sing at all my animals, all the time. :cool::dance5::dance4:
me too lol I like to think my fids enjoy the fun but idk about when I obnoxiously sing and gesture at them lol.

The best lovebird/music experience I’ve had was with a friend’s four masked lovebirds, the Ginuwine song My Pony came on and something about the first note set them off - it was hysterical every time that sound repeated all four of them yelled at the exact same time.

Baby_Shark

Sitting on the front steps
This is so interesting to read! My little guy doesn’t seem to care much about music. We have the tv on for white noise all day and my kids are both home during the majority of the day, so in general it’s noisy here.

However, when I start up the vacuum or hairdryer he gets his groove on! He flies to perch on my shoulder and will sing sing sing. Clicks, whistles, chirps and generally just loves it lol. He also starts up a racket if my youngest child is crying.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Mine don’t really seem to care for music, though I do keep instrumental playlists on for them while I’m gone during the day. That being said, there’s something about the intro to Come Together by the Beatles that really riles them up. :dance5:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Today I learned my fids quietly listen when I play classical music! Opera is hit and miss though. Some songs bounce from pianissimo to fortissimo too much and it seems to startle them. I listen to classical to clear my mind, so it’s a real gift that the kiddos mellow too ❤

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The lady I gave Adelies 2 brothers to plays classical music for them and the nap on her. How sweet :)

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Eros enjoys watching TV. He'll sit and watch and matches body language of whatever is on.

He does seem to enjoy music - bobs his head or weaves. His favourite band is the Pussycat Dolls. However, if he's out with music, I become the entertainment too. He flies to me and if I don't dance and sing with him on me.... Well, my dad reckons he'll become deaf in both ears, not just one...

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
My two love classic rock and metal. They really love it when we play stuff from the 70's though. Bo will try to sing a long and Gracie just screams along because she thinks she has rhythm. And the both for sure love Queen hands down their favorite.

Pandalicious

Checking out the neighborhood
Peri LOVES music! I first noticed that he would chirp and bop around to the theme song at the start of a TV show. As he grew up he really, really started liking metal (which I listen to a lot, so probably a good thing!). The heavier the better, but especially female singers. His favourite seems to be Arch Enemy with their latest singer.

My opinion is that he thinks she's his girlfriend since she has similar colouring to him and likes to sing! :smuggrin:

Pistachio1

Meeting neighbors
I know this is an old post but I want to reply anyway.
Our new lovebird LOVES to chirp along with music. We find he likes sea shanties and gypsy music the most. He doesn’t seem to react to pop. Some older alternative like Flaming Lips also gets him going. He seems to enjoy piano music but he won’t necessarily chirp to it.
He dances by bobbing his head and walking back and forth wherever he’s perching when he sings. Sometimes he flies and sings along too. I think he’s learning the songs as he’s keeping the beat and singing along with them closer and closer over time.