• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do your female Tiels talk?

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
So I have a question... Do your female tiels talk? I still don’t know for sure of the gender of my Tiel, as I never got the DNA test results from the breeder, but I’m fairly sure she is a female because she is very loving and friendly. I’ve heard that males are more independent. But I’ve also heard that males are the ones talk more. She says “Pretty Bird”, “I Love You”, “Whatchoo Doin?”, and “Helloooo”. :) She also whistles and makes clicking/kissing sounds. Quite the large vocabulary, as some Tiels never talk. And of course the moment we have all been waiting for, here are some pics! :D

C00059D2-42F2-4362-B357-EA4538D72AA4.jpeg
96214563-1650-4F78-BA6A-24ABE115AD36.jpeg
1777FC6A-F33E-476C-B423-0A37ED46EB41.jpeg

FYI: These pics were taken awhile ago, she is about a year old now.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
So I have a question... Do your female tiels talk? I still don’t know for sure of the gender of my Tiel, as I never got the DNA test results from the breeder, but I’m fairly sure she is a female because she is very loving and friendly. I’ve heard that males are more independent. But I’ve also heard that males are the ones talk more. She says “Pretty Bird”, “I Love You”, “Whatchoo Doin?”, and “Helloooo”. :) She also whistles and makes clicking/kissing sounds. Quite the large vocabulary, as some Tiels never talk. And of course the moment we have all been waiting for, here are some pics! :D

View attachment 378412
View attachment 378413
View attachment 378414

Your's is talking up a storm and I thought only the males did the talking. Cute Tiel by the way. :)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
What a cutie!
Both genders can be both friendly or independent, it’s really down to the individual. And I’ve honestly never heard of a female cockatiel talking extensively or whistling, let alone both.

They’re known for their singular toned vocalizations. Mimi is very chatty but still sticks to one or two kinds of chirps.

I’m sure there’s been a rare exception here and there.. but I’d bet money that your bird is a male just because they are whistling and mimicking. Perhaps look into a DNA test?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I also think you probably have a boy. Females very rarely talk, and if they do, it’s probably very little. You’re bird is a cutie!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you have a boy too. That's quite a bit of talking for a tiel. Out of my 3 males, only one talks and he just says "whatcha doin". I am really doubtful that a female would speak that much. (And your tiel is a cutie!)

Gigibirds

Adorable bird! Wow, you sure are lucky that he/she has such an extensive vocabulary!!! I wish my birds would say anything! Sounds like he/she is probably male, but you may have just lucked out on an awesome girl! He's/she's so cute btw!!

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Most likely a boy! My girl doesn't talk, whistle, or mimic at all. :D

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
From what I've read, females don't make that much noise. So your's is most likely a male. (or you are very lucky and have a girl w/ a large vocabulary :D)

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Thanks everyone for your feedback :) I made a YouTube channel Autumn the Tiel so I can post videos of her talking. I’ll try and record her/him. Subscribe! :roflmao:

I paid the breeder $25 for a DNA test... results never came... :mad:
That's frustrating, have you contacted them about it yet or got a refund?
It sounds like a boy, usually the males are more outgoing and vocal.

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson

View attachment 378412
View attachment 378413
View attachment 378414

My 1 yr old female isn't vocal at all whilst my male was very. Yours looks female