• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you use Probiotics

LuluZuzu

Sitting on the front steps
Are they safe and recommended? Do they work? How/when do you use them?

Found one called BeneBac on amazon but one of the reviews says it clumps and can kill the bird, others say its great so I'm looking for some more input here.

Thanks

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes! They're very useful and can be safely used every day. You mainly want to use them after antibiotics.

I use a few different brands so in case one is missing something they get some of the other as well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't currently but I don't have anything against them :) For the most part as far as I am aware there is little harm in them. Usually it's when you are dealing with antibiotics that they are the most beneficial, of if you are dealing with other digestive issues.

Some that look good:

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My vet had recommended about a year ago to start using Bene Bac powder probiotic after one of my budgies was on antibiotics. I have used it on and off especially if any of my birds are on antibiotics. And I usually start any new birds on probiotics too for a short time during quarantine and transitioning to a new environment. But my vet also said it wouldn't hurt to give it everyday. I have never had an issue with it really clumping too bad, I just add it to their water bowls after I've filled them with water and then stir it really well.

LuluZuzu

My vet had recommended about a year ago to start using Bene Bac powder probiotic after one of my budgies was on antibiotics. I have used it on and off especially if any of my birds are on antibiotics. And I usually start any new birds on probiotics too for a short time during quarantine and transitioning to a new environment. But my vet also said it wouldn't hurt to give it everyday. I have never had an issue with it really clumping too bad, I just add it to their water bowls after I've filled them with water and then stir it really well.
I see. So they are important if the bird is on antibiotics. Do you use them during the antibiotic treatment or after?

Also, whether it's for treatment or maintenance, how often do you add it to the food?

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I see. So they are important if the bird is on antibiotics. Do you use them during the antibiotic treatment or after?

Also, whether it's for treatment or maintenance, how often do you add it to the food?
My avian vet always says to have them on the probiotic during and after antibiotics for a bit. When I'm giving it daily during antibiotics I add it to their water each time I clean and refill their water bowls. Currently for maintenance, my vet just said to do a few days a week, so I'm doing 3 days out of the week to add the probiotic, but might bring it down a bit more eventually.

LuluZuzu

My avian vet always says to have them on the probiotic during and after antibiotics for a bit. When I'm giving it daily during antibiotics I add it to their water each time I clean and refill their water bowls. Currently for maintenance, my vet just said to do a few days a week, so I'm doing 3 days out of the week to add the probiotic, but might bring it down a bit more eventually.
Thank you :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Priobiotics, as said already, are good for when a bird is on antibiotics and about 30 days after. I would sprinkle mine on food. My cockatiel liked Higgins Worldly Cuisine a lot so I would sprinkle it on that- something easy for it to stick to. Eventually because of health issues my vet and I decided to keep my tiel permanently on probiotics but that's not typical.