• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you think these are cat snow Prints?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
The last picture has a footprint of mine as well for size reference. Prints are 1-2 inches deep.

IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1195.JPG

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd say maybe not as the animal has a longer print to what would be the back hind leg so I'm thinking more like rabbit but a rabbit would have the back feet together if they hopped.
Still does not look like rabbit.

Depends how deep the snow & how much the animal sank/ A cats hind eggs could make a more flat print if it sunk down far.

Well, I'm guessing but its an interesting question & guess t would be good to know if you were in the wilderness & a wild animal was stalking you.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree, it looks like neither cats nor rabbits. Not sure what it is. :unsure:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They find ways. We had one running around above the ceiling in Australia & it sounded like it was huge. Scary in the night. They look for places to hide. Australian houses are not fort knox. Things get in.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Snow if too deep to really tell the foot print.

Looks like a rabbit but the hind legs are moving separate not jumping with back legs together like a rabbit would. 1st pic looks like it could be a rabbit. The back legs moving side to side close together.

Trouble is can;t see the actual footprints but from what I can see I can;t rule out rabbit.
If you check the first photo you can see the back legs are almost together in a back hop.

Last edited:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
In Virginia, it's very likely to be an opossum, skunk, or a raccoon. Given the size, I'd probably lean more towards a raccoon. Cats typically leave very small, rounded prints.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
They find ways. We had one running around above the ceiling in Australia & it sounded like it was huge. Scary in the night. They look for places to hide. Australian houses are not fort knox. Things get in.
That would be a possum, though, right? (This is very confusing.)
What I have read is that opossums live in Canada and the Americas, whereas possums live Australia. Both are marsupials, though,

This is a possum:
IMG_1200.JPG

This is an opossum:
IMG_1201.JPG

Oh, sorry, I got distracted by the adorableness.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yes, I never saw the possum or realized it was spelled differently but these possum were in Australia & can be tough little guys. Spell check adds a o. Dad says possum get up there from time to time.

Actually if you ever got awoken in the middle of the night in a dark room in a strange house by one that sounded like a huge creature running over your bedroom afraid it would break thru the ceiling it would not be so cute.
Scared the fright out of me it really sounds quite huge & menacing.

Last edited:

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Oooooh, possible rabbit?
IMG_1212.JPG IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1215.JPG
The tracks sort of come in clusters of 3 visible prints, and each cluster is about 18-24 inches apart.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Cats have a very long stride when walking through snow. Coons, skunk possum... really don't care if their feet get wet. :D

Looks like cat to me. I have prints outside right now that look like a rabbit but I watched our squirrel make them. ;)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The first pictures track like a rabbit. The later pictures are tracking differently: I think a different animal made them.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
3 legged rabbit?

Rabbits rear legs should be close to side by side next to each other as they hop. The back legs sort of move together not independent.

Look about 55 min onward from behind how the back legs are used together side by side in a hop. Back legs are much longer print than front