• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you think Jacob is trying to tell me something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
In her book Clicker training for birds, Melinda Johnson mentions that birds love clicker training so much that some start bringing you the clicker. I thought to my self "ok I get it, clicker training is fun, no need to exaggerate!" Well yesterday Jacob flew to the table where I keep the training toys, picked up the clicker and flew with it back to me! He dropped it mid-flight because this is the first time he has ever carried something while flying. I took a hint and we had a training session. We are working on putting plastic coins in a piggy bank. Times are hard, bird toys are expensive so a bird needs to start saving! :hehe:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe how cute! And it's a good idea to start saving...lol You two sure are developing a wonderful relationship!

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Awe how cute! And it's a good idea to start saving...lol You two sure are developing a wonderful relationship!
He changed so much once he realized he could fly. He now seems to trust me completely :)

ahahah @ having to start saving. Jacob is soo clever to train you like that :D
hahaha yes my boyfriend says I'm like an ineffective speed bump :rofl:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
i see your training is coming along nicely..Jacob is training you very well:lol:

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
That is awesome!!!

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
One of my Amazons was flighted. He never developed the issues of thinking he was head of the flock and the aggression that sometimes follows. The clicker training seems to be the answer.

Jacob sounds like a very a happy bird.

Just remember to re-inforce your place as the leader of the flock with the training and boundaries; so he doesn't start to think that he is the one that gets to make all the rules.

And then please fly to New York and explain that to the unruly G2s :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Jacob is such a special parrot, Herdis! I LOVE reading about him. Hit up your craft store for some really cheap stuff to make your own, foraging and chew toys. Here's a link to a great video for some foraging toys you can make really cheaply yourself (w/ craft store finds).You've been sent a VideoMail! by Good Bird Inc!
Thank you for that link, I must encourage Jacob to forage more. He's not used to it and rather lazy when it comes to working for his food if it's not a sunflower seed.

And then please fly to New York and explain that to the unruly G2s :)
I don't know if that's a good idea, the G2s and Jacob would probably just exchange ideas on how to best train your human :lol:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
:rofl: I love it. Jasper's not so keen on the whole 'working' for food bit either.

Status
Not open for further replies.