• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you think a dog and a parrot could use the same puzzles?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Our dog is exclusively fed from puzzles and treat balls, no bowl. I have a TON of them so I can swap them out regularly.

It has occurred to me that a lot of them might be something a parrot could enjoy as well.. rolling things, tipping things, levers and sliders.

It would be cool if I could pick some that work for both animals and swap them back and forth rather than having a set of puzzles for each.
The parrot might be more destructive but the dog isn't gentle on them anyway.

But I'm worried about the health aspects of the idea.. obviously I don't want to give a parrot something with dog slobber on it, but HOW paranoid would I have to be? Is a wash off in the sink and drying enough, or would I want to disinfect everything?
Is there a contaminant besides slobber that I've not yet thought of?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
In my opinion, if you clean the puzzles well, the risk of cross-contamination is low. That being said, some puzzles have a lot of nooks and crannies, so there is still going to be some risk of exposure between the two animals. Separate puzzles would eliminate this concern, but add to your costs and the space required to store all the puzzles. I'd be inclined to buy two copies of their favorite puzzles and share the easier-to-clean or most expensive/biggest ones, when necessary. Just be careful with selecting dog-puzzles for your parrot because not all of them are made from parrot-safe materials or are designed in a way that is safe for birds. You will want to select carefully and supervise play.

On a side-note, I wouldn't risk it with a cat, because I have heard horror stories about cat saliva.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they can be well cleaned (dishwasher safe toys are the best) I don't see why not :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Dogs have a lot of mold and fungus and bacteria on their hair and feet, so I would definitely disinfect between each switch. Doesn't have any information about dog to bird transmission, but common sense tells us that birds aren't immune to all microbes carried by dogs.

Dog saliva may be good for dogs, but it's not good for you—ever. Dog saliva contains hundreds of bacteria, viruses, and yeast. While most of a dog's bacteria are only transmitted from one dog to another, some can be transmitted to people as well. Humans are no strangers to bacteria.

If your dishwasher has a super heat function you can wash it in the dishwasher, then spray well with F10 and be pretty safe.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
On a related note from a homeschooler (new to parrots though), many of the Montessori toddler puzzles and games are parrot wood safe and I think would intrigue smart birds. You could even teach them basic numbers : )

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Like Hankmacaw, because of pasturella and other nasties, I'd want them properly sanitized with something like virkon (or prevail) and surgically clean before I'd even think about giving it to a bird. I'd worry about the food and other detritus get stuck in sliding bits and other unreachable parts that typical cleaning can't get to, but a bird beak could reach.

There's also a slim possibility the dog doesn't want to share his toys which would could wind up being a problem too.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
On a related note from a homeschooler (new to parrots though), many of the Montessori toddler puzzles and games are parrot wood safe and I think would intrigue smart birds. You could even teach them basic numbers : )
I am so excited about that part. I used to be a Montessori preschool teacher, I have a hoard.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
That they're made of plastic and used for food adds to the contamination risk, but I want to echo the issue that redindiaink mentioned about sharing and ownership because I think it's so important.
It could be a problem if either species views a toy as theirs, and becomes possessive of it, while the other is using it (it could go both ways). I'm not sure what your plan is for managing bird and dog access to each other, but it's a danger.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Good points!
The dog does try to steal the budgie toys whenever he gets a chance (if he finds one in a box).
He has a history of very minor resource guarding with yummy bones that we had to condition him out of, but it could always come up.