• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do You NEED Feeder Doors??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
If you were going to design a custom cage... would you leave out feeder doors altogether? I was thinking about this a lot, and I realized, I seldom use the feeder doors on cages where they actually are... I might use one of them for water but otherwise I typically place a bunch of different bowls at different locations all over the cage. *I would still have side doors on both panels, for ease of reaching in and placing perches and things like that.* I am just thinking that perhaps I don't need the little food cup holder attached to the door or wall anymore.

What do you guys think?? :huh:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use feeder doors simply to reach those difficult places. Never for the food bowls.:)

I like to change their food bowl locations every so often as well and I also like to remove food from the cage completely at times.

If I had feeder rings built into the custom cage , I'd find it somewhat inconvenient to have to always leave an empty bowl in the ring. For Emma's EH cage, the *feeder doors* are so large that they just seem like side doors to me. By the way, the size of the feeder doors can be customized as well.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I like feeder doors :) Not only for the food dishes, but to reach places that I couldnt/wouldnt be able to reach without them :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I use feeder doors simply to reach those difficult places. Never for the food bowls.:)

I like to change their food bowl locations every so often as well and I also like to remove food from the cage completely at times.

If I had feeder rings built into the custom cage , I'd find it somewhat inconvenient to have to always leave an empty bowl in the ring.
I'm exactly the same way... I am thinking more and more that perhaps I should just forgo the feeder rings! Thanks for your input Saemma :) Much appreciated.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
I have cups with wing nuts on so they can be placed all over the cage.
I have 4 feeder doors on my cage, but I only use one of the hoops for Indys water bowl, I have taken the others off, so they are purely used as access doors.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I like feeder doors :) Not only for the food dishes, but to reach places that I couldnt/wouldnt be able to reach without them :)
Well, I will still have little doors for just that purpose :) But do you think I should have feeder doors with rings built into them in addition to my doors for hard to reach places?? :huh:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have cups with wing nuts on so they can be placed all over the cage.
I have 4 feeder doors on my cage, but I only use one of the hoops for Indys water bowl, I have taken the others off, so they are purely used as access doors.
I use cups like that as well :) Sounds like you use about as many of the built-in feeder hoops as I do. Thanks for your input!!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I like to have them for when I have someone come over and take care of them.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I were to decide to purchase a cage from NW.. I would decide to go completely without the feeder rings.
;) With EH, I don't think they offer feeder rings as a choice.
Instead they offer Stainless steel non magnetic bowls that can be placed anywhere in the cage.

Last edited:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I like to have them for when I have someone come over and take care of them.
Good point... I didn't think about that... then again I don't really go anywhere :p :rofl:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I will still have little doors for just that purpose :) But do you think I should have feeder doors with rings built into them in addition to my doors for hard to reach places?? :huh:

What would you need the rings for specifically?:) By the way, has Lola used her Forever Bowl yet?

Tricia from EH is sending me these stainless steel thumb screw and nuts to hang Emma's Forever Bowl so I don't have to always pull out a screwdriver each time I want to bolt it on.:dance4:

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
I too would want them, incase I went away and someone else was feeding the birds, not too many people want to stick their hands in the cages.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Hmm.. Im not sure.

If you ever sell the cage, it'll be a bit more with food dish holder..

Tough decision.:chin:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm.. Im not sure.

I think she's hoping this is her LAST cage purchase.:p

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
What would you need the rings for specifically?:) By the way, has Lola used her Forever Bowl yet?

Tricia from EH is sending me these stainless steel thumb screw and nuts to hang Emma's Forever Bowl so I don't have to always pull out a screwdriver each time I want to bolt it on.:dance4:
She has, but not in the cage :p I haven't put it in yet. She likes it though!

What a good idea for the Forever bowl... I think I can pick some up at HD!!

I too would want them, incase I went away and someone else was feeding the birds, not too many people want to stick their hands in the cages.
Thank you for your input :)

Hmm.. Im not sure.

Well... I don't think I'll ever plan on selling it if I go all custom, all SS. If I ever get another or want to upgrade her in size or something, this one would either be a back up or go to either my mother or one of my sister's houses for when we visit. Good thinking though, I didn't even consider that!! :o:

Lex123

Nope I don't use the feeder doors. I only use the bowls on top of the playtop for water, and I use a double diner feeder for food.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I think I have decided to leave the feeder doors off. I am almost never away from my birds, so nobody else would have to feed them... and if I were, I would most likely have them stay with my mother at her home, where I have an aluminum King's cage for her set up :)

Thank you for your input everybody!

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I don't use the doors for anything except to help me hang stuff. I prefer using Lixit bowls and putting them where Capri likes them better. That's my only cage with them and I'm not crazy about the actual bowls and neither is Capri. We tried using them and she definitely prefers the Lixits. I like having tons of food stations too- her fresh food, her pellets, her dried mix, a treat....

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess I'm in the minority .. I use my feeder bowls, in addition to others that I add.

I do have to go out of town on rare occasions, so it's important that whomever is caring for the birds can change their water and food without needing to reach into the cage.

All my cages have 3 built in feeder doors/bowls .. I use all three, plus another one or two for additional things depending on the bird. I like being able to change the location what I put in each bowl though. I don't move bowls around so much, as I've set up the cages where the bowls are strategically placed to avoid poop bombs. I just change what I put in each bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.