• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you manage your doves diet?

JoeA92

Meeting neighbors
Or let them eat at liberty?

What I mean by manage is, providing them with enough food to be satisfied when they run out. So that the bulk of their feeding is more or less scheduled as opposed to "grazing"

Currently I heap about 2 medicine cups of feed and I switch it out every other day. There's plenty of seed left that goes to wild birds and it's usually the same type of seeds.

I've considered doing this for a few reasons.
A: always having seeds available creates a reason not to eat a variety of food.
B: I'm not a bird diet expert. I use a pre packaged pigeon & dove feed mix. I'm assuming the mix was made for balanced diets. I dont know what he is missing from what he selects out.
C: makes training/bonding a little easier. He usually doesn't mind touch, and has gotten affectionate as he's grown more comfortable around us, but spring... Well ...spring

If anyone has any input or guidance about managing (or not to manage) diet, I would appreciate it

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My doves have free liberty of the food, they eat the cockatiel blend, and the tiny fruity pellets, broccoli florets ( cut off the bigger floret) scrambled eggs and tiny cut up cuttlebone. Cut up pasta and toast crumbs are a hit too. :)

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
My doves eat a variety of seed mixes (often tiel or budgie blends), and Harrison's super fine pellets. I give a bit more than they typically eat in a day (don't want any squabbling or hungry birds!) but too much extra and they fling seeds everywhere. They like broccoli florets, as well as other veggies like cauliflower and carrots - chopped up in the food processor. They also love picking at millet.