• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you let your finches out?

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
hey there sure. :) two Liberta cages which are joined to make one flight cage.
It looks like the Liberta Gama cage, is that right?

How did you join them together, I am assuming you must have removed a side from each cage somehow?

I am looking for something with similar dimensions for when I get a partner for my Canary and may do the same thing, depending.

I let my Canary, Raedwalda, out of her cage at least once per day, 2-3 times on the weekends or any days off, and I leave the cage door open for up to an hour each time, she goes back into her cage willingly and doesn't spend the whole hour outside.

She has a bird bath outside of the cage, which I fill fresh every time, and she uses almost every day. I also have lots of plants for her to perch on, and even graze on such as Aloe Vera plant. I did a thread about it with some pics. Australian Bottlebrush plant is recommended, but mine is dieing, probably from being placed in an east facing window in London.

I also did some other threads on lighting for Canaries and bird song, would be interested to hear what you do about that if you have time to look.

Last edited:

Solly

Strolling the yard
It looks like the Liberta Gama cage, is that right?

How did you join them together, I am assuming you must have removed a side from each cage somehow?

I am looking for something with similar dimensions for when I get a partner for my Canary and may do the same thing, depending.

I let my Canary, Raedwalda, out of her cage at least once per day, 2-3 times on the weekends or any days off, and I leave the cage door open for up to an hour each time, she goes back into her cage willingly and doesn't spend the whole hour outside.

She has a bird bath outside of the cage, which I fill fresh every time, and she uses almost every day. I also have lots of plants for her to perch on, and even graze on such as Aloe Vera plant. I did a thread about it with some pics. Australian Bottlebrush plant is recommended, but mine is dieing, probably from being placed in an east facing window in London.

I also did some other threads on lighting for Canaries and bird song, would be interested to hear what you do about that if you have time to look.
I had help from my Brother, we removed 2 panels and then clipped them together. We also used a few cable ties to stabilise it.
yes that’s the cage.

I don’t have any real plants as they are usually sprayed when being imported and also the chemicals they use to feed them at the growers can still be contained within the plant cells. So I never advise people to put real plants in unless they have grown them personally. Although I have a lady comes in and buys spider plants for her cats… I keep trying to put her off but it’s up to her lol

bottlebrush is more of an outdoor plant and need plenty of space. So probably isn’t enjoying it’s stint indoors.

re lighting. I do have an Avian full spectrum light for when I had them in quarantine. I will probably sell it because I have lots of natural light coming in for them now. But many people swear by them. And for some darker corners they would be excellent. Also great if you want to get your birds into breeding condition early.
I will see if I can find your threads or you can tag me in them.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
I had help from my Brother, we removed 2 panels and then clipped them together. We also used a few cable ties to stabilise it.
yes that’s the cage.

I don’t have any real plants as they are usually sprayed when being imported and also the chemicals they use to feed them at the growers can still be contained within the plant cells. So I never advise people to put real plants in unless they have grown them personally. Although I have a lady comes in and buys spider plants for her cats… I keep trying to put her off but it’s up to her lol

bottlebrush is more of an outdoor plant and need plenty of space. So probably isn’t enjoying it’s stint indoors.

re lighting. I do have an Avian full spectrum light for when I had them in quarantine. I will probably sell it because I have lots of natural light coming in for them now. But many people swear by them. And for some darker corners they would be excellent. Also great if you want to get your birds into breeding condition early.
I will see if I can find your threads or you can tag me in them.

Here are some links to my threads as I don't know about tagging:

Setting up room for free flying Canary (About plants and meshing windows)

How much light/darkness Actually I don't use any type of avian lighting, just sunlight and some normal lamps. I was wondering how much darkness people give their Canaries.

Thread on birdsong with some links to good birdsong videos to play to Canaries.

I may copy the set up you have done with the two cages.

Solly

Strolling the yard
Here are some links to my threads as I don't know about tagging:

Setting up room for free flying Canary (About plants and meshing windows)

How much light/darkness Actually I don't use any type of avian lighting, just sunlight and some normal lamps. I was wondering how much darkness people give their Canaries.

Thread on birdsong with some links to good birdsong videos to play to Canaries.

I may copy the set up you have done with the two cages.
Please do, or buy a ready made flight cage.. I just couldn’t find one here at the time… I was always used to keeping birds in an aviary setting so I find small cages difficult to come to terms with. Bigger is always better in my opinion when keeping birds. I am debating a small indoor aviary for the hens in winter and large cages for my cock birds So I can separate them if necessary. The finches could also go in with my canaries.

Solly

Strolling the yard
Update.. so was doing a deep clean today, 3 of the finches came out this time. Mulder seemed to have found his feet *wings* and had a fab time i think. He terrorised the canaries, flew around the room and no crash landings. phew! He watched me clean from his perch atop the canaries cages and seemed very happy with that. :cheer:

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He’s so pretty!

Solly

Strolling the yard
He’s so pretty!
thank you, I think so too lol I am going to the local bird club on Monday (first time so very excited) evening and the Gouldian breeder is bringing stock to let me see, if I can I will find him a wife or companion. He tried climbing onto the sleeping pyramid the bengalese make so I think he’s lonely.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh that will be fun! Yeah they definitely prefer their own kind. Wil be waiting to see his new friend. :)

Solly

Strolling the yard
Oh that will be fun! Yeah they definitely prefer their own kind. Wil be waiting to see his new friend. :)
im just looking right now lol.. or at least I keep telling myself that, but I do feel he would be happier with a companion of his own sort.. so.. watch this space. :rolleyes:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
so out with the Terrorising-towel-of-engulfing. I gently miss and he lands on the correct cage eyeballing me with his death-stare-of-WTF-was-that. A little gentle coaxing and slow movements of the TT (terrorising towel) and he popped in the top door and down to roost for the night with his buddies.
I laughed so hard at the 'terrorising towel' thing!
:heart: So glad to hear no crash landings yesterday. He is SO colorful and gorgeous. Can't wait to see if you get another... yes, I'll be watching and waiting!

Solly

Strolling the yard
I laughed so hard at the 'terrorising towel' thing!
:heart: So glad to hear no crash landings yesterday. He is SO colorful and gorgeous. Can't wait to see if you get another... yes, I'll be watching and waiting!
im glad-it gave you a chuckle, I have the worst sense of humour so if I get a giggle from just one person that makes my day and hopefully theirs too. :smuggrin: I do love him but think I should have called him Constantine as he won’t bath he tries to in the water drinker and it’s like he’s throwing holy water everywhere- he’s baptised me and the TV hahah