• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do You Know Who This Is?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't see it

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
:laugh: If you are from the US, you will know who Clint Eastwood is! I was so distracted by looking at him with the budgies on his shoulder, so I never even looked at the cage!!! Yes, it is pretty miserable. Unfortunately it was pretty typical for the time the picture was taken - I'm guessing the 1960's?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Clint Eastwood with two little budgies. Why do you judge the norms of the past by by norms of today, which will undoubtedly be different than the norms of the future?

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
You are right @Hankmacaw ! Sometimes I think "what will people 50 years from now think about some of the stuff we are doing now"? The only answer would be, we didn't know any difference until someone pointed it out or made a great invention. For now I'll love the picture and not be hard on him about the cage.

BTW - who wouldn't love being a human perch for their budgie?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Lady Jane

Were those female budgies? Is that why there's no poo on him?

:laughing7::laughing6:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wowza! I barely noticed the birds, let alone the cage! :dreamyeyes:

My parents each had budgies when they were growing up. Neither spent much time in their cage when anyone was home. :) I love the stories of their birds flying through the house, riding on their shoulders, and "helping" with chores. :swoon: My dad's the same way with the budgies he has today. They're out all day & know to fly into their cage to roost at night or when it's time to eat. So I'm thinking that's probably more of a night cage?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow, I was trying to look up whether those were his birds or if he was just posing with them and found out he's apparently a huge animal lover! I'm pasting this interview with his from a People.com article in case some have trouble with the link:

The Eastwood Family's Menagerie: Chickens, Rats – But No Cats!
Growing up, Francesca Eastwood’s friends felt uneasy going over to her house – not because of her famous father, Clint, but because of the rat room.
“We call it the rat room because we have, like, really, 14 rats,” she tells PEOPLE. “But they’re really sweet animals. They’re very clean and loving.”

Francesca, 18, who stars with step-mom Dina and 15-year-old sister Morgan in the new E! reality series Mrs. Eastwood and Company, has joined her animal-loving family in caring for chinchillas, chickens, pigs and tortoises over the years, but don’t expect to see any dogs or cats. “My step-mom and my dad are both allergic to cats and dogs,” Francesca explains. “[But having different animals] always been really fun. I’m such an animal lover now, and no doubt because I was raised in a house full of animals.”

It all started when, as little girls, Francesca and Morgan spontaneously asked their parents for some chickens – and the request was granted immediately. Chickens led to more birds, then rats, and at some point, “the vet would call us and be like, ‘Hey, there’s an animal with a broken leg that needs a home.’ We, of course, would take it in.”

I even found references to him having rabbits, chinchillas, and an 80lb tortoise!
"He just kind of wanders the courtyard, and has his own house out there, like a doghouse. He takes up a little space. But he’s a character, you know? He loves to hang with you.
They don’t do much, but they love to come over if you’re sitting in the yard and sit next to you. He’s got a little social side of him."

And despite mention of being allergic to dogs, there are tons of pictures of him with them over the years. :pinksmile:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you were to go back in time to the 50's when i was a teen and see how bird cages looked you would more appreciate how far we have come. I had a parakeet in a small cage that ate Hartz bird seed and lettuce. He lived for 10 years! He also landed on my glass of milk at dinner time and drank. Never saw avian vet, if there were any.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Ditto @Lady Jane in my family in the 60's! Our little parakeet loved mashed potatoes. During the end of his life, he started getting numbness in his left leg and then we took him to the vet. Fortunately the vet knew about birds and told us he had a swollen liver that was pressing against a nerve but there was nothing to be done about it. He died about 3 months later. I often think about that little bird. He was such a great family pet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Funny thing about all this since that 1950’s bird I have never had a budgie that lived as long as that one did. His name was Martini.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Funny, isn't that! Our little guy was named Billy Boy by my dad. To this day I have no idea why dad brought him home. One day he walked into the house with bird, cage and all. He wasn't any special color, just the typical green parakeet. That little guy bonded with everyone in the family but especially my sisters and I. If one of us would walk up to his cage, he'd jump on the cage bars right where we were standing. He adapted to the family schedule and would play when we got home from school and stayed up playing, chirping and singing until we went to bed. During the summer when we home, we found out he napped in the afternoon. During the summer, he ignored us and still napped in the afternoon. That little guy is why I love birds today.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I truly do think that every bird lover has a story from their past. I was a pretty lonely only child in a less than ideal home. I wanted a dog. Badly. I was supposed to get one for my 9th birthday until our landlords said "No". My mother felt so bad that when they said "nothing larger than a parakeet" she took the bus to a pet shop an hour away and came home with a little green budgie in a cardboard box. She scrounged up a second cage and bought a bell, a mirror and some bulk seed. I came home and took one look at that terrified little budgie and my heart melted. To this day I still miss him. His small cage didn't matter as he was never in it. He talked like a champ and ate everything we did. Even with the pathetic diet of seed and 2 parents who smoked he lived to be 7 yrs. old. He made a less than stellar childhood bearable and I miss him to this day.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The cage we got for Ferd and Nerd was 19x19 and about 24 inches high. Guillotine doors and aluminum feeder cups that slid in through little lift up doors. We got it in 78 because it was what mom could afford after I paid 200 for both birds because they didn't want to split them up. That was still typical in the 70s but at least it had a plastic base and tray so it didn't rust and was somewhat easy to clean. They were out whenever I was home and Nerd happily lived in it and protected it as it was home. As long as they get lots of out time they will be ok. I bought a new cage when I had Lurch and for the money it's really nice and he and now Dobby really like it.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Love these stories. One day martini got outside. I grabbed the cage and tried to follow him. Neighbors came out to help. I saw him up on thr roof of my house. Ran upstairs and climbed out the window over the roof. Martini flew straight for his cage and went in. I got in trouble for climbing out window on to roof but I did not care. He was the only pet I was ever allowed to have as a child.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Circa 1957.... This was my baby sitter.... I would lay there for hours watching that little budgie. And.... that's how my love story began with birds!

Bird watcher.JPG

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Wait the cage doesn't have any food or water in it!