• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 545 65.9%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.7%

• Total voters

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Everyone here is fully flighted except Meru, He hates other birds, and when he's out I have to watch him very carefully or else he tries to get to the others..
My girls, the tiels, are some of the best fliers I have ever seen! Bebe can maneuver and fly so fast! If she's mad because you won't let her land on you she'll fly up behind you when your not looking and hit you on the back of your head with her wing! :hehe: I try not to encourage it, but sometimes its rather funny! Birds do have a sense of humor! :lol:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
All my birds past and present have always been allowed to fly if they could. Tika and Amanda have full flight feathers but because of their pasts and improper fledging they do not fly.

I've never personally clipped a flight feather in almost 30 years. I believe they have the "right" to fly. If our houses are not safe for them to fly then the house needs to change so it is safe. Not the birds. It's about working around and with them to make sure they can.

If a dog chews on things we don't pull their teeth. If a child runs away from where he's supposed to be we don't cut their feet off. I strongly believe if we can't provide what a birds needs to live as naturally as possible, why do we have them? That is our selfishness.

I really don't see any difference. JMHO

Last edited:

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Great forum!!!

And perfect timing too since Ceddy is clipped but currently going through her first molt since she was clipped by the pet shop (or rather butchered :mad:)

I have every intention to see how we go with her flighted so I'm allowing her flights to grow out (one has fully regrown, 6 more have fallen out so far and are slowly growing as I type - YEAH!).

I believe not being able to fly has severely undermined her confidence since she's very scared to be away from her cage/play stand. I am hoping she'll regain that confidence when she's flighted again, fingers crossed.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
All of our birds are flighted. We think that it adds to our flock's health,safety and happiness.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Danny has, what I consider, a safety trim. It's enough to keep him out of trouble.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
All my birds are fully flighted.. :)

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I only have one bird in my home that is not flighted out of the ten... that is my red throated conure. He will literally chase me through the house and try to attack me if I allow him to be flighted. I don't have those issues and even his attacking slows down when clipped. I do this for his safety and mine. I don't like being attacked because he attacks me so viciously that I am afraid he'll get an eye or something but I am also afraid that he will get hurt in the process of me trying to get away from him and all the commotion that goes on.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Jacob came to me clipped but has most of his flights now and has been flying for about a week now and I hope I will never have to clip him.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
My pacific parrotlet is fully flighted now against my husband's wishes:(. After my dog passed away and then the next year my beloved tiel passed away I just let his flight feathers grow out . I can see it on his face he loves to fly mostly in his room and he will come to me if I have one of the following 3 items: His blue cup (his girlfriend), paper towel roll or a pistashio. I know it is healthy for his mental and physical being. I do get that look from my husband from time to time and then he will say "We need to clip his wings or one on these days he is going to get outside and then that will be it". I know the dangers and I take precautions but I also know things can happen clipped or not:eek:. Since he is the only bird right now and it is just my husband and I living there I feel ok about his flying.

jim

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jim
well, on Friday all my birds were flighted. Now only Cricket is.
I guess its ok to compare apples and oranges sometimes. :D
Zoey continued to attack my wife. Sophie and Cricket. When clipped she doesn't do that. We will try again.
Sophie likes to bulldog things. Things like the window, the mirror (there is another bird in that mirror!!) and the curio at the end of the hall. The curio has a mirror in the back of it. She will bank to miss the vertical blinds and slam into the window. We will try again after next molt as well.

Kind of funny, my birds are just as adventurous clipped as they are flighted.
If I were a single man or married to another bird person, I'm sure my walls would be cork coated and mesh netting over the windows and a three stage entry at the front door (I only have a two stage now) with plants and trees growing threw out my home. Oh yes, I have planned this out. But alas. My birds live in a human home and are therefore subjected to the misfortunes that go with that.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
Okay fun section gotta love it! Felix came fully flighted and will remain that way. He is such a happy friendly bird. He contact calls us and then flies to us... he loves to fly to new peoples heads and give them a good scare (he seriously laughs). his body is in wonderful condition, and he is happy healthy and best of all certainly not overweight. Sunny was clipped when i got her, and we have never clipped her, she was a tub when she came to us and had issues because of poor muscle development (went into lay cycle but couldn't lay the muscles werent there - this was before me) teaching her to fly has been really fun since she hasn't flown in 11 years! One thing we have noticed is that she is even more picky about people (she always knows the minute someone walks in if she likes them or not and let me tell you there are VERY few people she likes besides the hubby and me). Her favorite pass time is to fly to me to make sure that she approves of what im doing or that the person on the phone knows that she is listening too, or to my dog to bite him or to the shower to scream (which i take it means gimme one!) As for the two fosters they came clipped but wont remain that way while they are with me. The only bird i would clip if he was still with me is Merlin (bumblebee). We let his flights grow in and that was the end of me having a budgie buddy (no he didn't die he went home to his real owner)

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Mine are clipped. One of the few rules my husband has with my birds is if they are to be out of the cage they have to be clipped. He worries about me looking for one of the birds if they flew off and got behind something and in the meantime one of our kids getting hurt because I was looking for the bird. So for their safety as well as my kids they are clipped. However if and that's a big if I get my hubby in gear to get my indoor aviary done then 7 of my budgies and at least 2 of my tiels will be fully flighted.

iggysbirds

Real Name
Stephanie
Most all of ours are fully flighted. I am working on recall training (indoor only) with a whole batch of them right now. Luckily I started with Gizzy as a baby and started her recall training immediately on fledging (didn't take too long to teach her) Now she servers as a "model" for the other birds. When I am working with the others I always make sure they have seen her doing her full flight and recall we do a mini hand wave and worded "fly" for her to come to us and a worded "perch" with a hand flat for to go back. She is for now 100% on both. But I know that can sometimes change LOL so I would still not trust her outside ever. The others after they have seen her doing this do seem to do better with their flight and recall but we have some that just hate flying and even for a favorite treat don't want to get off that perch LOL! Oh well at least they will "fly" in place while perching on my hand. Guess they get a little more exercise that way.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What a great idea for a forum! All my guys are fully flighted but Clancy CAG doesn't fly. Tuchis TAG is like a B52 bomber, one of the most amazing flyers I think I've ever seen and he's more trouble clipped than fully flighted, so I'll never clip him. Reggie D2 is the most elegant in flight. The Twins (SIEs) seem to enjoy flight the most. All were clipped as babies. One day, I hope to get my never clipped baby Rosie!:)

bizzymum

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elaine
Mine used to be clipped, but they all are fully flighted now. I think when I start my BIG move, I will have them all clipped just as a precaution. I like having them flighted because of my dogs and they seem to enjoy the high ceilings. It does keep you on your toes a bit more because you have to remember to have things covered, door closed and ceiling fans off and such.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
This was an awesome poll. Had to give it 5 stars :)