• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 546 65.9%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.7%

• Total voters

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To start off our new section, I thought we could see how many people here have flighted Parrots (or other birds). This section will be to share tips and advice for anyone wanting to keep or consider keeping their birds unclipped.

My birds are unclipped, though most have been clipped in the past. Cassius has not and I had started recall training but that has been put on the back burner for now. I really, really want to teach him recall (Indoors only) :)

ferdinand

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
All of our birds came clipped, but they can all fly now (some better than others) except for Udo, who was clipped after his collision with the bird room windows. I could get Udo to come to me most of the time by holding up my forearm (I always got a kick out of that) - the others will come whenever they feel like, but never when I want them to ;)...except for Penny - I just need to show her a pistachio and she would fly through a hurricane to get to it (....I'm just the pistachio holder). :D

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Great new forum! Both of mine are fully flighted now but had been clipped previously. I have no plans to ever clip them again.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ferdinand that is so funny! Cash would do anything for a pistachio too. Only, he prefers to land on my head instead :rolleyes: He will also come for a drink of water, which is well and truly funny. He is obsessed with drops :D :rofl:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky has never been clipped. The only time he was unable to fly was when he lost most of his flight feathers due to a night fright. He really enjoys his independence.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Little General is not flighted his choice I hope to correct that
Percy and Baby are flighted
Rocky continues to fly over and pester the big birds so is getting clipped
I have done recalling and going home with Percy and Baby but it has been a long time since I have done it with Baby and Percy would rather be carried most of the time

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for the new forum Jill !!:)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
My amazon is fully flighted, and she has been for about a year now. I would also like to teach her indoor recall training also, I have already taught her to fly to her cage on command, but have not had a chance to teach her to fly to me on command. I would never teach her outdoor recall, that is just too dangerous, and I am scared to do it. My conures and cockatiels have both been fully flighted before, but the conures tend to get aggressive when they are fully flighted, they get mad/bite me, so unfortantly I had to clip them (only slightly). Snickers is fully flighted, but not the others, I am planning to do recall training with them also and keep them flighted. They are in the birdroom, so they are safe, and the door is always closed, even when I am in their. awesome new forum!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ruby is clipped. She flies head on into walls and windows whenever she has been fully flighted. Even with various clips she just flies in a straight line till something stops her or until she loses altitude.

Reactions: aaa

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Most of my birds are flighted. I keep the Budgies trimmed so it's easier for my kids to handle them. I also trim the dove's wings. Everyone else is flighted..indoors only.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Cookie *was* fully flighted.. but she kept running into walls, so i clipped her a bit.. i felt really bad, but she's still a pretty great flyer! Whoever said GCC's overcome clips fast was completely right! she can still fly from room to room and turn, but she isn't so hectic with her flying anymore.

Toc is clipped, but by his previous owners. She BUTCHERED his wings and the poor guy drops like a rock. he will NEVER be clipped again, but even when his flights grow back i doubt he'll be able to fly as he chews them up..

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I'm letting all my birds flights grow out. My 2 Sun Conures are awesome fliers. My U2 well go only short distance... He prefers to walk.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
All are flighted at this time...depends on how much trouble they get into!!!:cool1::hug8:

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Mia has full flight but VERY rarely uses it!
She'll fly only when necessary...

Summer did have flight until I realized it'd be VERY hard to go through her baby days with full flight. But when she molts her flights in the future we're going to consider leaving her flighted as well....
The little birds are clipped for their own safety.

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
This past weekend we had to clip Miller's wings again as he was starting to fly up and due tot he ceiling fans we wanted him to be safe. MacGuyver was clipped when we got him but, we have not had to clip them again yet. When MacGuyver does take off he always seems to fly low, but he is watched like a hawk when out of his cage as we have cats. So they are never out of our site when the cats are around.

Holli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holli
IMO, flighted birds is one of the most magnificant sights! Truly amazing. Sadly - I have adopted way to many who didn't even know what flying is....and still have a couple who refuse to try. But the wings are there in the event they wish to try.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
mine are all flighted, and as long as they are kept safe then it will stay that way, the way God made them.
They have developed their chest muscles to allow them to take flight.
There is less chance of the Greys especially having feather plucking problems,plus they are all quickly well adjusted and happy with their routine because of it.
All mine love their flying time, it seems to get rid of any frustrations they may have had building up during their day and it gives them freedom.

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
I accidentally chose all are flighted but my Amazon was clipped when I got him, so we have a molt to go through before they are all flighted.

I could never go back now. I say that, but know, I should never say never. There are really good reasons for clipping, but right now I think it would be so detrimental to her. On days when she doesn't get enough out of cage time it is all spent flying so she get a good workout. I love it, a little more work for me monitoring her but eventually she will own the home and will be able to be rule the roost like she is meant to.

She recalls in the house like a champ (pine nuts are the treat which works for us).