• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 545 65.9%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.7%

• Total voters

Sundae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
A clipped bird may fall and end up in the water

There are members who have lost clipped birds through open windows, or tiny gaps in window nets.

Just wanted to add that for anyone reading.
Thanks! These are great precautions to take. I made sure my bird was very safe, but thanks for letting people know that there are still dangers. :)

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
All my birds are flighted, God gave them wings for a reason, right? BUT you do need to take care and think things through, remember an open door or window can lead to heartbreak. A closed window can be just as bad when a birdie tries to fly THROUGH IT to that big room and BAM. A sink full of water or a toilet lid left open can lead to a drowned bird. Food on the stove or a oven can be a disaster. So many things to take into account but it's not impossible you just need to think things through.

Peishan

Moving in
All my birds are flighted, God gave them wings for a reason, right? BUT you do need to take care and think things through, remember an open door or window can lead to heartbreak. A closed window can be just as bad when a birdie tries to fly THROUGH IT to that big room and BAM. A sink full of water or a toilet lid left open can lead to a drowned bird. Food on the stove or a oven can be a disaster. So many things to take into account but it's not impossible you just need to think things through.
Yep, I fully agree. I would add, also remember keeping at least one light on, at least a small light, never leaving a room completely in the darkness.
A few months back someone rang the doorbell and my bird got scared, started flying super fast and went to the first floor, it was dark already and no lights were on as we were downstairs... he flew right onto a closet, hitting it face first. He broke the very tip of the beak. Nothing too bad fortunately, no bleeding, just hurting and trouble eating hard foods for a couple of days.
Since then we learned to always leave a light on, so that if he gets scared, at least he can see where he's going and doesn't hit furniture and can land safely.

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
To start off our new section, I thought we could see how many people here have flighted Parrots (or other birds). This section will be to share tips and advice for anyone wanting to keep or consider keeping their birds unclipped.

My birds are unclipped, though most have been clipped in the past. Cassius has not and I had started recall training but that has been put on the back burner for now. I really, really want to teach him recall (Indoors only) :)
My budgie loves to fly! She came to me with a really botched clip (Or at least that's what it looked like), except her previous owner said she never clipped her... :bored: She'll fly around her giant room (Just for her) and scream at the top of her lungs until we give her a treat :rofl:

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies were clipped when I got them, but they're molting now and have replaced almost all of their primaries. They can fly pretty good already! They just need to work on their landings. :lol:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mango was clipped when I got him originally, but as soon as he molted and got them back I decided to keep him full flighted, however with that said i've had to be much more careful with keeping doors closed and not having him out while cooking (especially when deep frying) but i love to watch his shenanigans from flying, but always supervise or an injury can occur, just a month or two ago i wasn't paying attention for a few minutes and mango slammed into a column and got pretty hurt thankfully he was fine after a few min but the benefits of fully flighting ur birds outway potential risks (unless advised otherwise by an avian vet, or the bird is constantly hurting himself) , obviously supervise them and make sure to watch them, alright that's it for my PSA

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Yeap Mr. Mango keep an eye on them and learn your bird. Streak, my late Parrotlet, could fly like the wind...but landed like a Gooney Bird, not pretty at all. He use to try for my hard and ended up slamming into the side of my head, nose, ear, glasses all the time. But the only time he got into real trouble he landed in the open dishwasher as it was but wet and the dishes were hot, the thing had just died, he was less than happy to be soaking wet with hot water.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
My budgie has all his flight feathers, I couldn't imagine him any other way :heart: He loves to fly so much, even if it is in just one room, I could never take that away from him or any other bird (unless for some reason he absolutely needed it, but I'd feel terrible)

honkwee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
ava
Both of my tiels had been clipped before we rescued them. Bingley can now fly quite well but Darcy's wing was cut while they clipped them. He still can't fly that well, He flaps but he doesn't get very far. I would not ever clip their wings if it isn't necessary.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Oscar was clipped when I got him but I knew right from the start that I wanted him to be able to fly. He's a natural pro at it as well! :D

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
All my parrots are full flighted pro's!
They can zoom almost skimming the floor, Phoebe quaker favorite game. If there is group startle ( rare) they fly high speed laps avoid each other and any obstacles.

The earlier warning about low /dim light is true only time I've had an issue.

Also there is a learning curve. Those just getting their flight feathers back, and babies just learning to fly are at the greatest risk to fly into walls window and obstacles, and miss landings. Great news tho with practice and building up muscles most will become pro's themselves @

So take some precautions with the learning ones. Bird strike decals on window. Lots of walking tours of home, stop with them and tap on windows and walls. Teach them flight paths by walking out from cage and back to cage from many different directions and repeat often. You can also teach them landing spots , stop and set them on sofa and chairs, or perch plsy areas. then pick them up and continue tour. Lay out blankets and pillows on the floor while they are learning. It can also help them practice in a carpeted bedroom with landings on bed. Its soft and landing takes practice. Encourage short flights from you to their cage even just a few inches hop at first. The cage is security and they are often more confident and motivated to try and return.

My clipped babies learned fast, but had directions change issue as all flight feathers weren't in when they started. Many birds can have fear of flying down from high places. So when they start getting good, put them up on something your head hight then walk out a few feet so they are flying down at a shallow angle. Maybe sit in a chair and Encourage them to fly to you by munching on some chips ( lol irresistible to mine) .keep practicing with higher perches.

For those with young babies, please allow to fledged an learn to fly well before clipping if you must. This time they have a biological urge to fly and little fear of falling. It develops their brain and vision, skeleton structure and muscle development.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I want to come back to this after having Raijū and Phoenix for over a year now

Most peoples reasons for clipping are for safety, and/or training/taming purposes

Raijū came to me clipped. He was crashing every day- onto the floor, up into walls, even in his own cage. He was so scared, untameable, it was clear he would only step onto my finger because he had no other choice. It was either step on my finger, or possibly fall down. It wasn’t true taming/training, it was only compliance out of fear.

Almost as soon as he could fly again, he turned into a different bird. I was able to train him properly, he wasn’t crashing anymore, and he turned into my best friend and began to truly love me instead of feeling forced to be around me

Bevolson

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bev Olson
Two fully flighted parakeets.
I am at home with them a lot. They use the lounge dining room and could use the kitchen.

Attachments

Raisins

Sitting on the front steps
Well, I both of my budgies are unclipped, but only one can fly. Martı can only glide for a few seconds and then crash on the floor, so I follow her around when she is out of the cage. She's also the one who gets sick the most, while her cagemate is healthy year round. I didn't know people clipped their parrots' wings. I only saw it done to pigeons.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Walter has full wings and has most of his life. He was clipped when I first got him and I did clip him the summer he went to stay with a friend (good thing too as she nearly lost him when he spooked and flew out the door that the kids had just opened). He is now fully feathered out but as he is nearly blind he hasn't flown in years. I keep him flighted because he is better balanced and with his weak grip, it really helps him. Also I do have cats and although we take extreme precautions, there is always a chance. (I married into cats. He gets to keep the cats, I get to keep the bird, and the horses, and the goats, and the dogs, and the....... you get the point)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Well, I both of my budgies are unclipped, but only one can fly. Martı can only glide for a few seconds and then crash on the floor, so I follow her around when she is out of the cage. She's also the one who gets sick the most, while her cagemate is healthy year round. I didn't know people clipped their parrots' wings. I only saw it done to pigeons.
This is surprising to me- I’ve honestly never seen a clipped pigeon, only seen clipped parrots unfortunately.
I wish it wasn’t done to any bird. I can’t think of another animal humans are allowed to physically handicap to make keeping them easier, I could be wrong but I really can’t think of one.

Edit:- I have once seen a clipped chicken, she apparently had a habit of taking off into the trees at night which wasn’t safe for her so she was clipped to limit how high she could fly so she could safely he locked in a pen each night away from cats.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can’t think of another animal humans are allowed to physically handicap to make keeping them easier
Wild cats (lions, tigers etc) having nails removed. I think (and hope) there are more laws protecting them now.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wild cats (lions, tigers etc) having nails removed. I think (and hope) there are more laws protecting them now.
Oh yes- didn’t think of this, I’m not aware of anyone here having that done, I’m not even sure it was ever a thing here.

Bevolson

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bev Olson
Two parakeets both flighted.
I give them the whole lounge dining and kitchen. I am retired and at home a lot.
Reply to DesertBird
I am sorry to find you had a terrible accident.
Thanks for your emoji
I am so glad you are able to be on the forum.
Love back to you.

Bev