• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 546 65.9%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.7%

• Total voters

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java is fully flighted and came to me that way. Being a former aviary breeder, it was probably easier to net him and place him in a carrier than to try to handle him. Unfortunately, at 9 years old, he doesn't know how to fly since he wasn't allowed to fledge. I'm hoping to teach him over time.
Hey Brittany, I love your Java stories. :)

Gigi was clipped as a baby but has now grown in her flights. She has been practicing/flying for maybe 8 weeks and is getting more and more proficient and confident. She hasn't had any crash landings. So I'm wondering, do you think it's easier for the littles to learn how to fly when they did not learn as babies?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey Brittany, I love your Java stories. :)

Gigi was clipped as a baby but has now grown in her flights. She has been practicing/flying for maybe 8 weeks and is getting more and more proficient and confident. She hasn't had any crash landings. So I'm wondering, do you think it's easier for the littles to learn how to fly when they did not learn as babies?
I think so, since they have a lot more room to work with in regards to living conditions. There also isn't much weight to lug around like bigger birds. A large room is perfect for a smaller bird to navigate whereas a larger bird doesn't have enough time to turn and calculate before they've reached the other side of the room. :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think so, since they have a lot more room to work with in regards to living conditions. There also isn't much weight to lug around like bigger birds. A large room is perfect for a smaller bird to navigate whereas a larger bird doesn't have enough time to turn and calculate before they've reached the other side of the room. :)
That makes sense. It's amazing to me that Gigi weighs just 1 1/2 ounces. If she stands quietly on my shoulder I can't feel her at all. I have to look.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Umbrella my U2 goes out with me to the neighbourhood park that has a big field every few day.Crown my YCA too but they do not go together as from my experience,they will fight about who shall stand on my right shoulder.
Yes,just the right,they do not care about the left shoulder AT ALL!
Bright my Rainbow Lorikeet,Mango and Tailfeather my budgies spent most of their day in the balcony garden instead.No need for worries,bird proofed.
And yes,all are free flighted.(And all would go crazy for showers and sunflower seeds)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bright my Rainbow Lorikeet,Mango and Tailfeather my budgies spent most of their day in the balcony garden instead.No need for worries,bird proofed.
And yes,all are free flighted.(

These birds are fully flighted (not clipped and can fly). Free flight is flying out in the open air outdoors ;)

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
oof,yes both fully and free flighted.For my place you can only say a birb is free flighted if the birb is fully flighted too so by some extent,it replaces that.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
For my place you can only say a birb is free flighted if the birb is fully flighted too so by some extent,it replaces that.
Yes, we say that too. I was refering to your budgies and lorikeet. I assumed the budgies are not free flight trained.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
oh,yes they are! I free flight train all my birds and touch train them too along with others!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
oh,yes they are!
So you let your budgies fly freely outdoors, no harness, no cage?
Just so you are aware, that is very risky. Birds like budgies and lovebirds are not good candidates for free flight training. If they get spooked, they will be away.
There may be some info on this forum about that. It´s worth researching the subject. @Lady Jane

Training recall indoors is a great bonding / training experience that includes flight and much safer than free flying.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Bright,Mango and Tailfeather does their free flight in Umbrella's room and they all have a cage but I got them a big room.Harnesses are needed ( I received my smaller birb's harness' from a crafty friend of mine,hand made and comfy )if I bring either of my flock members outdoors but for the small birb's,their free flight usually takes place indoors ( also they can fly to me with a average of 6m of distance!) for Umbrella and Crown they'll fly much further ( there is a badminton court at the park that is 'caged' up so I let them really free fly there,without a harness ( which Puffy hates anyways ) .
I guess that I just confused myself.So I live in a condo and I bring my smaller birbs ( Mango and co ) down sometime in the afternoon about 4pm when most of the people are at home so usually no shock from dogs and such.Wild birds are fine and since I did house them before as rescues and I live on lv 2,they visit us daily so my flock got used to their presence,in the balcony especially which is also where Mango and co will be at most of the day.
I am aware that this is risky but my neighbours know me and are also avid bird keepers ( one keeps lovebirds and one kept birds ),they will lend a hand if any flies out and about.I do believe that I have established a bond with my flock and it is strong enough to ensure that they will stay with me until their time goes out.
Who knows if in the near future they will fly away or not?But for now,all is fine.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
also,allow me to *yeet.<--which I just did.

Bennie's Mom

Moving in
Bennie is fully flighted and has been that way since his wing feathers grew in. the breeder clipped him when I got him, but he hasn't been clipped since. I lost my first cockatiel when she escaped. It broke my heart and my previous 'tiel I kept clipped. But I always felt sad about that. After she died (cancer) I got Bennie. I decided to let him have his flight. He loves to fly loops around my apartment, fly up to my head or a few other favorite perches. I am extremely careful about doors and windows. But if I clipped him now, he just wouldn't understand why he suddenly was unable to fly.
BTW, the picture with my post is a "Smiley face" feather Bennie dropped on my knee one day. It fits his personality!

berries

Strolling the yard
My flock is flighted. I used to clip my budgie when he was young because he would crash into walls and fall behind furniture. But once he got the hang of things i stopped clipping. I'm hoping to start recall training with my cockatiel outside next summer as she's gotten very good at it indoors.

cheekypie

Walking the driveway
My lovebirds where rehomed beacuse someone had to move and couldn't take them. They said the birds where clipped but they fly pretty good! Taking a closer look while they fly or stretch٫ it seems not every feather was clipped٫ so they could still fly. Not planning on clipping them again because they can fly and fully clipping them wouldn't lead to best results in behavior.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My lovebirds where rehomed beacuse someone had to move and couldn't take them. They said the birds where clipped but they fly pretty good! Taking a closer look while they fly or stretch٫ it seems not every feather was clipped٫ so they could still fly. Not planning on clipping them again because they can fly and fully clipping them wouldn't lead to best results in behavior.
If you have the right conditions, even a clipped bird can get good distance. Good on you for letting those feathers grow out. Flight is some of the best exercise for them.

Sundae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
My budgie came clipped but she is now full flighted and loves to fly. I think it makes her less nervous while I work on training/taming her since she doesn't feel trapped. Thats just what works for us! :) The nice thing about when she was clipped is that I could do things like doing the dishes with her on my shoulder and not have to worry about windows.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The nice thing about when she was clipped is that I could do things like doing the dishes with her on my shoulder
A clipped bird may fall and end up in the water

and not have to worry about windows.
There are members who have lost clipped birds through open windows, or tiny gaps in window nets.

Just wanted to add that for anyone reading.