• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 545 65.9%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.7%

• Total voters

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've found, in my experience, that the shorter tailed birds fly in what seems to me as a more powerful flight.
I agree with you. One of the best flyers I had was my brown headed and my Meyers. And both of my Pionus girls are also awesome flyers.
but I think Leia (a pionus, affectionately known as "potato birds" and built like a small Amazon) would be better at manouvering in tight spaces. She can practically hover for short periods.
Akela can the same. She can also maneuver in a way that I didn't think was possible to do indoors without any wind.
I think of IRNs...long, magnificent tails...it almost seems they take off like an airplane..
Ok, this is not a parrot but...
Did you know that a peacock's can fly straight up in the air at least 10 m. (I have seen it myself) Not so graceful but the first time I saw that I almost couldn't believe my eyes.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
can practically hover for short periods.
Miyetti could hover as well. I remember how amazed I was bcuz I thought only hummingbirds could do that. Btw, I meant to say it was amazing how much are he could displace not disperse in my previous post!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Did you know that a peacock's can fly straight up in the air at least 10 m. (I have seen it myself) Not so graceful but the first time I saw that I almost couldn't believe my eyes.
Wow...to see something like that...amazing!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Definitely see your theory @cassiesdad ! Though I think as with everything it depends on the bird and his experiences/training. I taught Blue BCC to fly when he was not clipped(sadly he is again, he is my stepmom’s bird), he flapped really fast but compared to my lovies, his flight did seem less powerfull. He has no flight muscle of course though. Tiki my Tiel was a good flyer. He was quite powerfull, I remember one time he flew to close to me and got his wingtip in my eye:D I honestly don’t know whether he would have been able to fly with clipped wings though. Both Henkie and Fea could without doubt, for Fëanor I know for sure he can. They hover, fly straight up and down and go bits backwards.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Of my 5 birds 4 are flighted and 1 is clipped. I believe they have wings for a reason and should be flighted WHEN EVER SAFE TO SO. Let me go into what's going on here. Nibble, Piper,and Doger, my Tiels are flighted as is Cheddar, he has a "Half Clip" with Riti being clipped. Both Cheddar and Riti came from Sugarcreek Bird Farm and they clip their birds in house but the clip they did on Cheddar still allows him to fly just fine, they called it a half clip and that's just what it is the flights are trimmed but only about half is taken off. Riti is clipped and a lot hard than I'd like. She came clipped and after her finding every little tiny place she could to try and nest I decided that until I can fully bird proof the place it for the best and her safety to keep her clipped. I am slowly getting all the guards and blocks in place so I can let her be flighted.

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't clip any of my birds, and I won't, but only one flies (so far).

Aurélie was clipped before her breeder shipped her out to me, and she hasn't been able to grow in a full set of flights yet. She molts like there's no tomorrow, and when she's not molting she's getting into trouble and her feathers get stuck in things and fall out. :rolleyes: Babies...

Taco doesn't have the greatest feathers in the world, though they're a million times better now he's getting regular showers and nutritious meals. Spending at least five years in a cage getting barbered by a stressed mate, eating wild bird seed, and banging against cage bars will do awful things to a fella's feathers. :(

Kamara was found outside, and who knows WHAT kind of life she had before the humane society took her in. Her wings were clipped at the humane society, but they showed me a picture of the state they were in beforehand, and it's a wonder she was even able to get herself into a tree. The feathers she has left, and her tail especially, are in wretched shape. She's the only bird I've ever seen with feathers as bad as (if not worse than) Rafi's.

Kraz is fully flighted, beautifully feathered, and flies like an eagle. :heart:

Linearis

Walking the driveway
My parrotlets flight feathers are almost all grown back and... wow, it's even better than I imagined. She can basically fly already, I'm guessing she'll become faster once they're all grown in. She can make decent landings and can fly in a loop and she's pretty confident in flying downwards too. It's funny to watch her, she basically jumps off the edge and then lets herself fall a bit before flying. What a daredevil. She definitely seems happier to me, and I love watching her fly so I'm happier too. I never want her to go back to being clipped. She's tame though so it helps... She still steps-up readily.

RosieR

Meeting neighbors
Both of my birds are fully flighted, though they were clipped when they came to me. My Budgie zips around all over the house, and he can turn on a dime! He can also fly straight up in the air and hover. I am always amazed watching him. My Green Cheek took a full year to learn to fly because she was clipped before she fledged, months after her flight feathers were grown back even. When she was clipped she was sad because she couldn’t follow her Budgie friend around, and very frustrated. It was hard for me to watch. Now that she’s finally learned to fly she is much more confident and happy, and it is obvious that she takes great joy in flight.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My Budgie zips around all over the house, and he can turn on a dime! He can also fly straight up in the air and hover. I am always amazed watching him.
I'm always excited to watch our budgies fly around the house...like you, I'm amazed at their capabilities! The best I can describe them is as little buzz bombs...flitting and darting around. Since Harley came to us clipped, his wings grew back quickly...and he loves to follow right behind Omega.

Although their cage is open all day, they don't come out all that often...but when they do...:dance5: :dance5: :dance5:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have seen that many times and they're beautiful. Such a majestic bird. I hear some people own them as pets..

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I hear some people own them as pets..
When I moved here to California, I was surprised at how many people keep peacocks! I rescued (caught) a peahen a couple of years ago. It was running loose around my apartment. It had an injured wing. Sadly, it also had some internal injuries and didn't survive. But, they sure are pretty!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Shucks, my situation isn't available to vote on. The pet store clipped his wings way too short and all he can do is flutterflop to the floor. I plan to let his flight feathers grow out tho.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Shucks, my situation isn't available to vote on. The pet store clipped his wings way too short and all he can do is flutterflop to the floor. I plan to let his flight feathers grow out tho.
Awww :( poor little guy

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The pet store clipped his wings way too short and all he can do is flutterflop to the floor. I plan to let his flight feathers grow out tho.
In time, that situation will correct itself and your guy will have the glorious feeling of flying...:)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi was clipped as a baby and in the last few months she grew in her flight feathers and is able to fly. I needed to change my profile pic to show those glorious wings! She definitely needs more practice but she's pretty good, flying from cage to play gym to sofa to me. Yesterday she excitedly flew above her play gym in a few circles when I asked her if she wanted a shower. Each day she improves and seems to really like her new abilities. I have had to curtain off the kitchen to keep her a little contained and I have to watch her much more closely during her out of the cage hours. But, for me, there is nothing like a bird flying to you, choosing you. She's such a joy.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau came to me with mutilated flights so I had no choice but to trim them down. She's adjusted really well but I can't wait for them to moult out and for her to get on the wing again. Other than that all the birds I have, and have ever had, are/were fully flighted.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java is fully flighted and came to me that way. Being a former aviary breeder, it was probably easier to net him and place him in a carrier than to try to handle him. Unfortunately, at 9 years old, he doesn't know how to fly since he wasn't allowed to fledge. I'm hoping to teach him over time.