• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 545 65.9%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.7%

• Total voters

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Could you tell me how you did this?
It may be different for Gen120, but for me, I have Rupert hop from the perch to the cage and say "go home". Treat and increase distance over time. He can now go from the hallway and in to my room and straight to his cage. It was also a good way to teach him how to fly.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
Could you tell me how you did this?
Yesterday, I saw a clicker training video with target training with a chop stick. The girl had both her parakeets fly out a short distance to land on her shoulder from their big flight cage, one at a time. One to each shoulder. Then she had them fly back from her shoulder. She pointed the stick to her shoulder, so he could land there to bite the stick. He was clicked and rewarded with a millet seed. Then his mate did the same with her other shoulder. She also gave a verbal command when she pointed the stick. That is how I am going to be teaching my parakeet to do this. We have just started learning to follow the stick a short distance.

In the video, it was clear that they were still learning and perfecting this. They were clicked and treated when they returned to a perch in the cage too.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
My birds have all been fully flighted except for my cockatiels. I had the two of them flighted but they were prone to flying into the windows. I clipped them and didn't have any other issues. I currently only have my one bird, Mango, a half moon conure. He is fully flighted and does extremely well. He is a wicked Velcro bird and almost never goes anywhere but on my shoulder.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
It makes me sad every time I read some post here about how someone just got their bird's wings clipped.
How can someone be ok with not letting a bird fly??
I just don't understand it.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I used to clip for travelling and we travel ALOT.

I found a method that makes it easier to not have to worry about them flying out so... I stopped.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It makes me sad every time I read some post here about how someone just got their bird's wings clipped.
How can someone be ok with not letting a bird fly??
I just don't understand it.
Our littles are full flight...although Buddy the Conure, having flight restored after adoption from a Sanctuary setting, still doesn't do much flying.

Milton is clipped because of an old injury to his wing...it would cause him severe pain every time he'd fly...it was heart breaking to see and hear him when he was forced to take off. We have talked to a University that rebuilds mis-healed bones with titanium rods...thereby, in theory, permitting the bird to fly pain free.
Right now, the whole procedure is complicated...surgery to break and remove the "bad" bone(s) and insert the implants...and surgery is always a considered risk.

We are still talking about it though...maybe in the future, we can give our dear Milty back the beautiful ability to fly...

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 7 1/2 month old Linnie was clipped as a baby and her wings are beginning to grow out. She can get small distances by flying/hopping and spends some time every day hanging off the outside of her cage flapping so I hope she is building her strength. I went to the vet yesterday for a nail clip and my vet asked if I planned to clip her wings. When I said no, she said that Linnies fly a little more like Amazons, see the shorter wings and tail? So most likely she won't be buzzing down the hallway like a budgie, but will just fly from her play gym to my shoulder, etc. I live in a condo and it will be pretty easy to keep her safe. I'm looking forward to her being fully flighted.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
When I said no, she said that Linnies fly a little more like Amazons, see the shorter wings and tail?
I've found, in my experience, that the shorter tailed birds fly in what seems to me as a more powerful flight....longer tailed birds LOOK more graceful, but less powerful.
I have no scientific proof of all this, mind you...it's just the way I see things...;)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've found, in my experience, that the shorter tailed birds fly in what seems to me as a more powerful flight....longer tailed birds LOOK more graceful, but less powerful.
I have no scientific proof of all this, mind you...it's just the way I see things...;)
Uh oh. lol

Linearis

Walking the driveway
My bird was clipped and I'm just impatiently waiting for her feathers to grow back -.- They seem to be... It's hard to tell, I see a bunch of small feathers now on her wings but I can't remember if they were there before to compare. X.x It makes me sad she can't fly, although there are still more changes I'd like to do to my room for it to be safer for her.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Can I send you a handful of gccs to test your theory? :devil:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Can I send you a handful of gccs to test your theory? :devil:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think of IRNs...long, magnificent tails...it almost seems they take off like an airplane...a runway effect. Shorter tail birds...like 'toos, and even pigeons...it seems like they can take off straight up. :)

Again, there is no scientific proof of any of this...it's just the way I see it...I'm not looking to start anything here...;)

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
even pigeons...it seems like they can take off straight up. :)
Even nside our apartment Miyetti could produce a powerful wing clap. It was amazing the amount of air he could disperse flying straight up.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Even nside our apartment Miyetti could produce a powerful wing clap. It was amazing the amount of air he could disperse flying straight up.
:)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are lots of feral IRNs where I live so I get to watch them in flight regularly. They are fast, graceful flyers but I think Leia (a pionus, affectionately known as "potato birds" and built like a small Amazon) would be better at manouvering in tight spaces. She can practically hover for short periods.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think of IRNs...long, magnificent tails...it almost seems they take off like an airplane...a runway effect. Shorter tail birds...like 'toos, and even pigeons...it seems like they can take off straight up. :)

Again, there is no scientific proof of any of this...it's just the way I see it...I'm not looking to start anything here...;)
I could send you Baby Blue (Quaker) to test your long/short tail theory but I suspect it would be a fail.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I could send you Baby Blue (Quaker) to test your long/short tail theory but I suspect it would be a fail.
I'd move out of PA so Baby Blue could stay with me...:dance4: