• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 545 65.9%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.7%

• Total voters

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
If a dog chews on things we don't pull their teeth. If a child runs away from where he's supposed to be we don't cut their feet off. I strongly believe if we can't provide what a birds needs to live as naturally as possible, why do we have them? That is our selfishness.
I really don't see any difference. JMHO
NO, we CORRECT there behavior. We don't just let them keep chewing on stuff. Flying is not behavior. In order for this to work, it would be, "if a dog ran around the house" Same as a child, we correct there behavior and tell them not to run away from where they are suppost to be and or put them on a kid leash. :hehe:

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
my canaries are definitely unclipped, free to fly everywhere, well behaved and go to bed in their cages nightly without problems. i'm blessed.

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
Nugget is fully flighted. I do not know if Sunni is or not as he is not home yet and i do not now if the lady i'm getting him form cilps her birds wings or not.

Kathy

Sporty and Peg are flighted, but Peg doesn't seem to know how to fly or can't. Beakner was flighted when I first got him but I had him clipped because his previous owner recommended it..It calmed him down, fattened him up. I miss seeing him fly so well though and they are growing back so it won't be long now.

birdman78

Real Name
John
TJ just now starting to earn his "wings" now. Got a small take off from him yesterday. Won't be much longer now.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

All of my personal birds are fully flighted. I do at times clip the rescue birds if they are attacking people. That happens here unfortunately. I get dive bombed at times, and for everyones safety they are clipped.

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
All my fids are full flighted. Jade just started flying at 4 years old. (Long story...bad first home) They love to come out in the bird room and cage hop and fly here and there. Also, I am covered in quakers and a conure when I go in. I love it. Feel like I'm in "The Birds"
Her's Buddy and Ducky...I just took these yesterday.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful birds Mary Ann. I love seeing birds in flight. All my birds are flighted but only my timneh likes to fly. We're working on getting Syd (patagonian) to fly hoping it will help curtail the screaming and picking. Our GW was never allowed to fledge and startles easily. It's taken several years but he is finally learning not to fly into walls when he's startled (the only time he really flies.) We had a choice he could fly into a wall or he could break his keel bone falling like a rock.

Has anyone else tried teaching their birds to fly away from the outside doors when they are opened? Harley (tag) knows that when the back door is being opened to fly to her cage or playstand. We only have to hold our hand up in the stop position when we are by the back door and she knows to fly to "safety". We can't teach her to fly to us on command but somehow she learned this one fairly easily. We also don't take it for granted but it's great when she's out and non-bird relatives are visiting.

Shyra
www.parrotasylum.com

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I checked off full flighted even though Fannie is clipped but she came to me that way and its a terrible clip too. Georgia was clipped when she first came to us but she is fully flighted now and she is the most amazing flier. I swear that bird can practically hover and she is lightening fast and can turn and change direction on a dime. Chloe came fully flighted and will probably stay that way as I have never even touched her feathers. There is the ever present fear that one of them especially Georgia will get out the door.:(:(:(:(

sewing4eight

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
We took Charlie to the vet and had him clipped- but he can still fly anyway.......lol so we are leaving him as he is.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
All of mine, big and small, are clipped and are going to stay that way. I now, as of this morning, have 7 exotic birds in my possession that have gotten loose from owners and have ended up in someone elses yard. Needless to say, these birds are now clipped also. Hoping to find the owners.

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
Mine are all flighted, but the big macaws just walk around they have never even tried to fly. I feel it is safer for my little guys to be flighted just so they can get away from the big ones if they have too.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Howard is flighted and I love watching him! He even flies down the hallway, through partially open doors and up and down the stairs.

southernbirds

My English Budgie is full-flighted. He is only allowed to fly in the bird room.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Henry my HH is coming home tomorrow night. Scott asked if I wanted him clipped. I wasn't sure so I asked Jill. Jill made me feel so good about leaving him with full feathers, she made me realize that it is OK to have flighted birds. So I am letting my others grow back in:)

birdman78

Real Name
John
Both of mine are fully flighted. Some days I love it, Other days, well, not so much. But I am happy that they get there excerise.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
After years of clipping, I have let all mine grow in....(except Nani who is not letting them so easily)....I feel so much better having them flighted...the conures do fly in their room, so does Kiwi, but the others pretty much stay put.

Nani is a huge jumper climber runner, so she prefers to get around that way anyway!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leslie I think we need a new Nani video. I love watching her run and hop. She gets around so fast and its soooo cute!!!! :heart:

Denise it will be interesting to see how your Henry boy is with his flight. Cash was a little bit of a stinker at first but once we did a few training sessions we figured out the routines together and he's such a good boy (mos of the time, lol). He is the only one in the house that has never been clipped in the past and by far the most confident in his flight.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
mango is full flighted and i wouldnt have it any other way hes never on the floor and flys from room to room also to me and his toys he is strong and fast in flight he started when his wings were clipped and im sure that build up his streinght he has power
now my only problem is what will happen when i die will my son find a place for him to fly as i know he wont be able to in there apt as his woman wont alow him free he will be every day in my sons truck not caged but cant fly in a truck

birded

Sitting on the front steps
My CAG Harley is fully flighted, indoors only. In fact, her cage door is open all day as long as someone is home with her. However, we don't take any chances that she might get outside. We have two front doors--regular house door plus door to enclosed front porch. House rule is that both doors can NEVER be open at the same time.