• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 545 65.9%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.7%

• Total voters

Night

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby
I wasn't aware of the controversy of clipping vs non clipping. What do you all do with other pets? Until your younger birds learn how to steer properly, what about when they fall near animals that could harm them?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I wasn't aware of the controversy of clipping vs non clipping. What do you all do with other pets? Until your younger birds learn how to steer properly, what about when they fall near animals that could harm them?
Grab the dog by the collar.

Seriously, I've been letting everybirdie's wings grow out, which is taking a while. In the meantime, got a puppy that is very birdie. So when the birds land near her (including one recent dash INTO the dog pen) I grab the DOG. Not the bird. Instinct says grab the bird, so it's been interesting.

The ones that are just now flighted for the first time are taking some time to learn to steer and land. LOL

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I think another pet is a high risk for trying to catch a bird, I put the other pet in a different room. My cat can't resist parrotlets so she is put out on the enclosed porch while little birds are out. As for babies and other pets that can harm them, you just don't let that happen. Period. If you have other pets, its on you to make sure they are safe. I've had full flighted babies fly straight into a dog before and land on them. I've had clipped birds flutter to the ground and nearly miss getting eaten by a yorkie because they weren't able to fly back up fast enough with a clip. Clipped or flighted, you have to decide which is right for you as both pose some hazards. My near misses have been misses because I was there and scooped up the bird before disaster had a chance to happen. And when I mean right there, I was practically on top of the dog. Not in another room doing the dishes. Dogs, cats, ferrets and rats are a hazard to pet birds. Some more so than others. My current dog is pretty trustworthy, but he's in another room if birds are out unsupervised. The cat depends on the species, but she's also put somewhere else when certain birds are out.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
The only other pets I have in the house are my dogs, of which they go outside when the birds are out. But my smaller dogs are terrified of my birds and usually go hide in another room if I have to have the birds out (which isn't very often when the dogs are in...only if it's heavy rain or extreme heat/cold).

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
My other pets are always behind closed doors when the bird is out. And the bird is in her cage with door closed and locked when the others are out. Not taking any chances with a freak accident occuring. It only takes once.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Both Toby and Jack are full flighted and never been clipped..and its against law to clip Birds in Sweden.
Interesting to know. As far as I know in the U.S. a bird "owner" can do pretty much anything to the bird in the way of clipping wings, etc. I will sometimes have certain birds wings clipped if they are becoming too aggressive to other birds in the flock (e.g. gccs or sun conure). The only ones I never clip are the tiels because they need to be able to fly away from any one attacking.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Interesting to know. As far as I know in the U.S. a bird "owner" can do pretty much anything to the bird in the way of clipping wings, etc. I will sometimes have certain birds wings clipped if they are becoming too aggressive to other birds in the flock (e.g. gccs or sun conure). The only ones I never clip are the tiels because they need to be able to fly away from any one attacking.
The laws in Sweden are pretty strict..u are not allowed to have 1 Bird, must have 2 unless u are home 24/7.

Handfeeding is also against law but its a law that is broken alot.

The cage size is determind depending on ur Bird size..wich is a good law.

And as said wingclipping is not allowed.

There is Most likely some more laws but cant Keep track of them all hehe

In some way clipping Toby would be good, he isnt a great flyer, he have a tendency to miss the landingsspot or how to explain it.
He is aggressive against Jack wich i learnt is typical of Pois.
I cant have both out at same time so i must divide their out of cage time and i must Always have an eye on Toby or he might go to Jacks cage and try to bite..Jack doesnt Care about Toby...he just wanna fool around and play.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
The laws in Sweden are pretty strict..u are not allowed to have 1 Bird, must have 2 unless u are home 24/7.

Handfeeding is also against law but its a law that is broken alot.
Those two laws seem strict in comparison to what I'm used to here in the U.S.

I think that the first law mentioned is good in many ways; still, I suspect that many adoptable birds may remain in a shelter, if people who'd be willing to adopt one bird aren't allowed to do so.

I'm surprised that hand-feeding caged birds is against the law anywhere, to be honest. Do you know why it's illegal to do so in Sweden?

The cage size is determined depending on ur Bird size..wich is a good law.
I agree that this is a good law.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I think that the first law mentioned is good in many ways; still, I suspect that many adoptable birds may remain in a shelter, if people who'd be willing to adopt one bird aren't allowed to do so.
The law is probaly the biggest reason why Parrots isnt so common in Sweden.

I'm surprised that hand-feeding caged birds is against the law anywhere, to be honest. Do you know why it's illegal to do so in Sweden?
I actually dont know why its illegal...cuz i cant see any reason why it should be illegal.
The situation where handfeeding is allowed, and Thats if the parents are sick or worse dead.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The law is probaly the biggest reason why Parrots isnt so common in Sweden.

I actually dont know why its illegal...cuz i cant see any reason why it should be illegal.
The situation where handfeeding is allowed, and Thats if the parents are sick or worse dead.
I'm assuming that the handfeeding being illegal is to try to stop people from selling baby birds that are unweaned and cannot eat by themselves, thereby hopefully preventing deaths.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Dusty is fully flighted, she can fly but prefers to walk..and to see her running up the hallway to me is a hoot....that cute cockie waddle. She happily wears a harness to come outside when we garden or in the afternoon when we sit outside...she watches the wild birds, kids coming home, and sometimes walks about in the garden eating grass seeds..I read and watch her

gonenow

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
My two cockatiels are fully flighted but they're also finger/shoulder trained. Only time one of them was clipped in a sense was one of them lost half a wing of flight feathers during a night fright and she was grounded for the most part for 4-6 weeks. Grew back very fast though

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
We do not clip here but, Carmen came without really any wing or tail feathers, Tito came with clipped wings. Diablo and Sola are not clipped. They fly freely. Carmen and Tito can fly pretty far and they have with the conditions are right. We stay in the enclosed patio and house and fly free, except at night when they sleep. We will not clip here and do not intend to unless for safety.

We have two dogs (yorkies) but they are never ever left unsupervised with the birds. Tito has flown from being startled (neighbor's car alarm) and Star, our female yorkie, ran up and licked him and ran back to me. My other dog, male yorkie, Lucky doesn't even chase anything except his kong balls, both are purse dogs.

I have a neighbor who has a large parrot. I've seen him twice briefly. I've heard his speak. He can hear me and says "pretty girl" when he hears my voice. I have never ever seen him out of his cage. His cage just fits his body. Apparently, it was his mother's pet and she passed 15 years ago. His father then took the bird over but the bird never got over the death of his mom and so they haven't let him out of his cage! He says the bird is too aggressive and will bite my finger off. I believe the bird is attached only to females. He is quite large. He can turn around but never stretch his wings out. It sickens me and my neighbor is really nice but no matter how many times I've brought up his parrot, he changes the subject. He's told me how attached he is to the bird because it was his mom's bird. His dog is so unsocialized, he shakes constantly! The poor thing is terrified of everything and neurotic, like his owner.

So clipped not clipped, it's how we love and treat our birds.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
My birds are unclipped, but they aren't very obediant . My budgies tend to fly in their cage after they got their exercise anyways, but my new cockatiel likes to go everywhere she isn't supposed to. lol.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Dusty Wingfield is fully flighted, but prefers to walk or hitch hike on me when she wants to get around, I prefer her flighted as its insurance if she falls off a cage or stand, and have read its better for her mental well being, knowing she can flee a preditor or danger

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Melon my IRN is fully flighted as well as my three budgies, Pipsqueak came home to me already clipped.... But once he grows back his flight feathers he will also be flighted. It's so cute because Melon flies around the house he watches her on my shoulder and he starts to flutter his wings trying to fly. The budgies like to stay in the room.

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
IMO, flighted birds is one of the most magnificant sights! Truly amazing. Sadly - I have adopted way to many who didn't even know what flying is....and still have a couple who refuse to try. But the wings are there in the event they wish to try.
hi ever tried having 2 foraging trees or a 2 tea stands and putting food on one and water on the other and maybe treats on an other and keep them close together so they hope from one to another then slowly and gradually space them out appart so they have to eventually have to move? just thought it might help

Charity921

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charity
Both of my babes were clipped when I got them (from the same breeder, but acquired them 2 months apart). The GC has learned to fly anywhere he wants to go, and does so often, usually to crap on the caique's cage or to torture him when he's minding his own business. :meh:

The WBC has not been successful in his attempts to fly, and does well just to jump down without landing on his face. Fortunately, his cage and playgym are both pretty close to the floor. He wants to take off badly, but seems to know he can't manage it just yet. He climbs like a pro, though.

I don't intend to clip them, at this point, but I would be willing to consider a light clip if it ever became apparent that it was necessary for their safety. I do take them outside, when weather permits. We spend a good bit of time on the back screened porch, and they each have Aviator harnesses (but they both hate getting into them). We go to the park and feed the ducks, or walk around in our neighborhood. I think it's important to socialize them often, and fortunately, they both seem to like meeting new people. I'm hoping that they will eventually relate the harnesses to going out, and maybe will learn to be more accepting... wish me luck.