• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do we adopt a 4th lovebird?

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Hi everyone!

If you have some advice for me I would love to hear your thoughts.

So as most of you know Umi came in to our flock in January. She is been doing incredibly well. It's a difference of night and day. She just had her 3th surgery on her follikels, has to have her 4th in a few weeks. And the fish oil is doing wonders for her arthrosis.

IMG_0144.jpg

But... she has been showing interest in Momo. She is following him around and doing the airplane dance around him. And since a few weeks he is preening and feeding her. So we might have a bonded pair on our hands.

And then we have this sweet sweet boy Mido. He is the most social. Always wants to be where everyone else is. He and Momo are friends. They feed and preen each other and sleep side by side when outside of the cage. But now he may loos his friend.

IMG_0184.jpg

What would you do? Momo and Mido are male and Umi is a female.
Really interested in how any of you would go about it. I'm looking for advice from people who have experienced with lovebirds.

Love to hear from you!

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
In 12 years I have never separated a bonded pair of lovebirds, regardless on what sex they are. Mido and Momo are showing all the signs of a bonded pair of birds. In my opinion, it would be cruel to separate them. If they change their mind down the line, and one of them wants an actual female, they will let you know.

As for Umi...I can't really give you any advice. All I will say is that you could get her another bird and she might not accept it as a partner or a friend. I'll also say there are way too many people casually breeding and birds don't make long term pets for most people. They get tired of them quicky and Bye bye! The parrot rescues are over-stocked and under funded. Just food for thought...

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
@Anfsurfer I don’t think I was very clear.

No one is talking about separating anyone.
I have a lot of experience with lovebirds and know Momo and Mido are not bonded.
And I have been volunteering for 2 years at a rescue where I take care of the birds 10 hours a week. So I know very well the situation

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Momo and Mido are not a bonded pair, just very good friends. Momo and Umi are indicating that they may bond with each other and the op is just wondering about how Mido will take it if they other two bond and he is now alone. I know this person personally and additional details that make me say Momo and Mido are not bonded. She would never adopt a bird and then just tire of it, whether it bonds with her current flock or not. I think there is just some misunderstanding here.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Momo and Mido are not a bonded pair, just very good friends. Momo and Umi are indicating that they may bond with each other and the op is just wondering about how Mido will take it if they other two bond and he is now alone. I know this person personally and additional details that make me say Momo and Mido are not bonded. She would never adopt a bird and then just tire of it, whether it bonds with her current flock or not. I think there is just some misunderstanding here.
That's how i read it too; I think M&M was concerned about the impact on Mido if he were to become a 3rd wheel. I read elsewhere on AA that caring for odd numbers of birds (that interact regularly) can result in just that kind of situation. On the other hand though I don't think Anfsurfer was suggesting that M&M would tire of any of the flock... but if Umi and Momo did the wild thing and M&M was obliged to give the babies away, then those owners may tire of them. ie. just an observation of the proclivity of some owners for ill-considered bird purchases, and the over-abundance of unintended hatchlings. Maybe I am mistaken too :D

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
That's how i read it too; I think M&M was concerned about the impact on Mido if he were to become a 3rd wheel. I read elsewhere on AA that caring for odd numbers of birds (that interact regularly) can result in just that kind of situation. On the other hand though I don't think Anfsurfer was suggesting that M&M would tire of any of the flock... but if Umi and Momo did the wild thing and M&M was obliged to give the babies away, then those owners may tire of them. ie. just an observation of the proclivity of some owners for ill-considered bird purchases, and the over-abundance of unintended hatchlings. Maybe I am mistaken too :D
That makes total sense. M&M is a very good friend of mine and knows that she has to be mindful of eggs and that they are likely fertilized. We see so many people on here that don't seem to understand that they have to be careful or they will be adding to the problem of too many unwanted birds. And additionally that should they choose to allow chicks to hatch, caring for them isn't easy! :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My only advice to you, is what you already know. Get another bird but don't expect it to bond with Mido, although they will hopefully be good friends. But you may find Mido wants more attention from you, and that's fine too. No it's not the same as a bird companion, but it's still pretty good. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am quite biased, you know I like even numbers but I am not naive and given my past experiences, bonds don´t always work out the way you plan so I understand it is a big decision.

If this were me, I would consider if you want a fourth bird now, and if you do, introduce the fourth bird now before any hard bonds are made. Then allow the four out together, and let them pair up on their own accord.
If you proceed without a fourth, then carry on as you are, observe until you are sure a bond has been made between two birds.

Mido. He is the most social. Always wants to be where everyone else is.
Lovebirds are flock animals, they are social and live in colonies. The problem when we take them captive is that more often than not, there isn´t enough space for them to cohibit and the rejected birds from the flock do not have the freedom to leave which can lead to fights and other ¨aggressive¨ behaviours.
You are lucky they get along, it certainly makes it easier to have multiple birds when they accept one another like Momo and Mido have :)

I will tag @fluffypoptarts , I would be interested to hear their thoughts :)

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I like to emphasise that there will be no chicks!
At the moment Momo is moving away from Mido. He doesn’t want to be preened by him anymore or fed.
I’m trying to give Mido a little bit more attention. He is such a sweet boy.
Would any of you have a preference if you were in my shoes to get a male or female?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi just out of curiosity how are they housed at minute ?

sounds to me like umi and momo are starting to bond

it’s a hard choice I know from reading your post on uni we are a great bird owner to your birds so if you choose to bring a 4thlovebird home all 4 will be loved no matter on the bonds formed

how is Mildo with umi ? I suppose he’s been induced to both a male and a female I am taking it in gets along with both ?

from my experience indie wants pico wants to be with him all the time would happy live in pico cage spreads her wings for him etc but pico is tolerable of her now but is no way interested in a friendship with her but then doesn’t like to be away from her either so I don’t know if it’s growing

I would agree an even number is probably better and if mildo isn’t fussy about who he gets on with then go for the lovebird you like and want and see how it goes we all know you will love and treat the 4th bird just as well as you do other 3

or other option is to give it a while see how it pans out with the three you have

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think generally birds do better in even numbers.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Aww brill where’s the pictures of the lovely new lovebird ?
I am so tempted to get a 3rd lol x

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am so tempted to get a 3rd lol x
Proceed with caution because you know that when you get a third, you will then be wanting a fourth so the odd one out gets a friend. :ashamed3:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Proceed with caution because you know that when you get a third, you will then be wanting a fourth so the odd one out gets a friend. :ashamed3:
:lol:I don’t think my husband will let me get a third mind a fourth haha

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Momo & Mido can we please see a pic of your new baby how’s things going with four did you get a female or male

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Hi just out of curiosity how are they housed at minute ?
They are housed in three separate cages (Montana New Madeira). Yuki and Mido each in one and Umi and Momo together.

how is Mildo with umi ? I suppose he’s been induced to both a male and a female I am taking it in gets along with both ?
Mido and Umi are tolerant of each other. But Umi doesn't want him to close. She is very picky

Aww brill where’s the pictures of the lovely new lovebird ?
This is Yuki. The first of September we got her test results back. She is a very healthy female!
IMG_0533.jpeg IMG_0556.jpeg

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
They are housed in three separate cages (Montana New Madeira). Yuki and Mido each in one and Umi and Momo together.

Mido and Umi are tolerant of each other. But Umi doesn't want him to close. She is very picky

This is Yuki. The first of September we got her test results back. She is a very healthy female!
View attachment 413302 View attachment 413303
Oh wow you have some absolutely gorgeous lovebirds

looks like yuki is settling in well can’t wait to see updates

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Momo & Mido hows things going with four lovebirds ? Would love an update and more pictures please :heart: