• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do they know their name?!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Tonight we had an exciting moment- Flynn and Charlie were on their playgym and I was on the phone to mum mentioning something Flynn had done- and Flynn flew straight to me as fast as his little wings would take him. I thought it was a coincidence at first and I've been casually saying his name. Yep- everytime he flies over. Even if he is mid flight, he changes course and comes and lands on me! I'm a very proud budgie mum!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
It is! None of my friends/family are bird people so they aren't getting my excitement and think I'm nuts. I've never really put much emphasis into taming or training with my birds- as long they are happy I'm happy- so it's kind of funny Flynn seems to be answering to his name like a puppy dog! Theres so much going on in those tiny budgie heads! Flynn is nearly a year and a half now and he keeps surprising me with new behaviours.

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
It is! None of my friends/family are bird people so they aren't getting my excitement and think I'm nuts. I've never really put much emphasis into taming or training with my birds- as long they are happy I'm happy- so it's kind of funny Flynn seems to be answering to his name like a puppy dog! Theres so much going on in those tiny budgie heads! Flynn is nearly a year and a half now and he keeps surprising me with new behaviours.
I know how you feel! My family thinks I'm nuts as well. I think I'm nuts :roflmao: I think I almost cried when Preeno had his first shower :laughin:

It all worth celebrating! Go Flynn! :cantwait:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd knew his name, Lurch I think didn't care but would come if I called him and chased me all over the house, Dobby announces he's Dobby when he's walking across the floor or excited.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
Haha, cool! I I know what you mean that a lot of people don't get the excitement. Whenever I would call my mom to tell her a bird story she would always start the conversation with I don't like birds. I still call and tell her stories but now I start off with I know you don't like birds but I'm going to tell you this anyway. My dad on the other hand love my bird stories lol

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
When Oliver is playing in the floor and I call him he will sometimes come running over. But if he's flying around he doesn't usually ever come to me unless to land on my shoulder or head, which is very rare.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
I started recall training with Kaladin a while ago, and now, about 70% of the time, he'll come when I call him. He doesn't recognize his name, though, just that "Kaladin come" means he gets millet. (He'll also spin on the perch I use for training if he's ready for some millet).

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Kiwi knows his name, but I'm not sure about Blizzard.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That's awesome that he responds to you that way! But yes, small birds do understand the concept of name, they actually give names to their chicks and respond to those as well. There has been long-term studies on the subject in green-rumped parrotlets and I'm sure many other animals do the same :)

Study: Parrot Parents Name Their Babies.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
That's awesome that he responds to you that way! But yes, small birds do understand the concept of name, they actually give names to their chicks and respond to those as well. There has been long-term studies on the subject in green-rumped parrotlets and I'm sure many other animals do the same :)

I read a similar study on budgies, but can't find it.. it was even suggested they have personal names and family names!

@Miss_sj that's amazing! :swoon:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Oh wow, even family names! They are so clever!

Flynn has only been doing this if he's in the mood.

At the moment he's playing a new game he has invented: he flies from the top of his cage to the playgym, does a little dance, flies to me (he seems to have the expectation my hand will be ready for him) leans over, taps my nose with his beak, does a dance, flies to the cage, does a dance. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. You get the message..

A bit annoying as I'm working but far too cute to be annoyed for long...

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry

Nerd knew the name we gave him, had a name for himself, and a name for me. I was Buubeeep. I can't quite remember what his vocalization was for himself but he had all kinds of them that had meanings we both understood. His Jungle flock call could wake the dead BUUWEEEEEP!... You do have to remember he was a medium sized Maximilian Pionus so he could get quite loud when he felt like it.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I thought I would try to teach Tweetie to come to me by holding millet and calling his name. Unfortunately when he came Buddy was right behind him and chased him away. Now when I call out "Tweetie" Buddy thinks I'm saying "Come, I have millet!"

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
If you're not a bird person then you just nod and say "isn't that sweet". But if you are a bird person you realize that this is special. Birds are highly intelligent. Sam does not respond to her name but she DOES respond when I call her. If I say "C'mon Sammy let's go watch TV in the bedroom" she flies right to my shoulder. She knows where I'm going. She also tells me off if I watch the news and not Family Guy. Sam has the worst taste in TV shows...

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
the first time birdy responded to his name i nearly cried with joy. he definitely knows his name, because everytime he hears "Birrrdy?" he knows to stop chewing on the blinds and act all innocent :lol: now he responds to all of his nicknames bird, b bird, baby bird, baby, baby boy, my boy... the list goes on and on!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
If you're not a bird person then you just nod and say "isn't that sweet". But if you are a bird person you realize that this is special. Birds are highly intelligent. Sam does not respond to her name but she DOES respond when I call her. If I say "C'mon Sammy let's go watch TV in the bedroom" she flies right to my shoulder. She knows where I'm going. She also tells me off if I watch the news and not Family Guy. Sam has the worst taste in TV shows...

I'm glad everyone here gets how special it is!

That being said, he's not doing it anymore. He isn't in the mood right now :lol:

I love that Sam likes Family guy! Flynn doesn't care much about TV but Charlie loves it! She always wants to watch it! When I'm watching Flynn turns his back to the TV and watches me intently instead. It would be creepy if he didn't have such a sweet fluffy little face!

One of Flynn's phrases is "wanna watch gossip girl Flynny?!"

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm glad everyone here gets how special it is!

That being said, he's not doing it anymore. He isn't in the mood right now :lol:

I love that Sam likes Family guy! Flynn doesn't care much about TV but Charlie loves it! She always wants to watch it! When I'm watching Flynn turns his back to the TV and watches me intently instead. It would be creepy if he didn't have such a sweet fluffy little face!

One of Flynn's phrases is "wanna watch gossip girl Flynny?!"
Your Flynn is a bird scientist :cantsee: , studying human behavior. Nothing to worry about. He'll soon deliver his report! :teacher: