• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do Some M2's not like Head Scratches?

toolady2peach

Moving in
Real Name
Cambria Douglass
We've only had her for about a month now, Peach is super sweet and loves to sit with me on the couch and I think she tolerates some pets on her head but she isn't a real "cuddly" bird... I know these guys take a long time to adjust but her previous owners (Only had her for 1.5 years) said the same thing that you have to catch her in the right mood... but not really "cuddly". However she is very independent! She is 13 years old and the people I adopted her from got her from a bird show, there was a breeder there who had her and she "didn't work out" in there breeding program? Thats the only info I have... She calls herself "Paco" so somewhere along the lines someone assumed she was male! She is also missing a toe. Otherwise she's in great health. Does that mean she was not cuddled as a baby and maybe was kept with other M2's? Do you think It's just way too early and even the people who had her before us didn't have her a long enough time to really get to know her? Or could this just be her personality? I love her no matter what and I have always expected nothing from her- what she has given us has been amazing, she makes us smile and laugh and I don't care if she ever wants scratches... But I am just genuinely curious because everyone says how "cuddly" these birds are! Maybe she's just matured into an adult- she does display a lot of "mating" behaviors... I am very careful not to touch her anywhere but her head and if she starts getting worked up I put her on her playstand! I've researched a ton about not letting them "bond" to you and become hormonal!

Edit: we know she is female because she laid two eggs with her previous owners...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Cuddly is not a bird thing. It's a human thing. Not something that should be encouraged anyway especially with a cockatoo because it sets you up for all kinds of problems that will come back to haunt you.

The psychology
Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

She sounds like a fairly well adjusted bird that knows how to entertain herself and be independent.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

toolady2peach

Moving in
Real Name
Cambria Douglass
That's what I was thinking! I'm very familiar with that article :) I should have clarified- I am not at all disappointed or asking because I'm wanting to cuddle with her... I am asking because all you hear is don't cuddle them too much, they'll want to cuddle all day long etc etc... So... I was thinking it was sort of odd that I couldn't find any posts or any information on an M2 that isn't particularly cuddly. I don't know what else to call it- other than cuddly (a human thing I know) but they obviously do partake in that behavior- whatever you would call it! Thanks for your response. I am lucky to have a very independent M2 :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You've also only had her a month. Honeymoons last anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. Wait for it. :)

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Gonzo pretty much never cuddles during the day. He only likes head scratches after dark or after a shower. He’ll come over and give me a “hug”(he’ll fly to me and put his head near my shoulder and give me kisses) once in a while but that usually lasts only couple of pets. He also does this when he sleeps, where he will rest his body on my chest and put his head on my neck/under my shoulder but during the day he pretty much only plays and sits near me while chewing on something.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Honeymoons last anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. Wait for it. :)
Your making it sound like a short fuse to a time bomb! :rofl: Excuse me... I think my mother needs me! :scared1:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

You stole my exact reply!

Goodness, think of all the trouble your saving yourself and the bird when they only want occasional scritches! You probably have a very well mannered sweetie there

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My M2 can be a real "cuddle monster" most of time. But he can a real "monster" when the hormones are raging or he's just grumpy sometimes. I think it's good to have them more be independent. As much as I love cuddling I'd traded it for him to less dependent on me.