• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do parrots show less signs of hormonal behavior when they get older?

Beepbeepimajeep

Moving in
I've been wondering for a while. And I just wanted to know if older parrots (approximately around 20 years or more) become less hormonal. If you have a older macaw I would love for you to share your experience. I will volunteer at a rescue so I will have more experience with handling parrots. Wish me luck

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck. I don't have big macaw experience but I believe the first few years are the worse.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It probably depends on the birds, their care, handling, diet and environment. In good health, it is possible for birds to breed throughout their entire lifespan. With the right setup, or the incorrect handling/petting of birds, I can easily see older birds being more hormonal rather than less!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
As Monica said with good health and care, parrots can breed their entire lives (although for hens, that's dangerous).

I have a 25y.o male umbrella cockatoo, and he acts like he's an eight year old male going through hormones for the first time, every time he's going through hormonal periods (twice a year).

And then I have a seven year old Umbrella cockatoo who acts like he's still a baby and never been through a bad bout of hormones. He's gotten nesty the past two years but never gotten to the point of full blown aggression or cage territoriality.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My 19 y/o male U2 didn't have any hormonal periods for the first 3 years we had him...he made up for that this year, though...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well 20 years old is not an old (big) parrot. It is the "prime" of their life. Comparable to a human who is 22ish to 32ish. Their "drive" is not going diminish until they're in their 50's or later. Having said that, my sex drive is still pretty strong, it's just "different". :lol:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:facepalm: John.

To the OP, IME, after the first flush of hormones during adolescence, they do settle down a bit. But, the intensity of hormones over a lifetime is an individual thing. Personally, I've never dealt with an older parrot, but it's my understanding that large macaws can rear young until they're in their mid-30's. So, I wouldn't expect to see a bird change much until then.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
It varies some from bird to bird and species to species. What does change though is their relationship with you and their trust in you. If you leave them be during hormone time you do not see the more obvious aggressive appearing behavior. Keep other birds safe as well as kids. Just don't mess with them.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hachi is old. I rarely see hormonal swings or behaviors in her. But then again she does have some neurological issues.