• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do Parrotlets Need Human Time?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It's hormone season now?? Ohhhh I have a lot to learn. Honestly I thought that was only in the spring! Thanks for cluing me in Fashionfobie :) Definitely will be keeping that in mind then!
It is spring where I live. However birds do go through some stuff in the autumn or spring. The spring will be a more intense experience for them, but the changes in the autumn can influence their mood.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Image00004_20190106012754320.jpg
I'm afraid I have no real advice to give you but I still wanted to say "Hi".:greet14: I'm so sorry you given terrible advice but I'm so glad you're here. I love all support here and I'm always so touched by people like you who are looking for good advice to better the lives for their fids.

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hello and welcome to our humble internet abode. :smileflower:

A lot of the information already given to you is excellent information. You're in good company here as these folks all love their feathered babies and love imparting information on other new feathered baby parents.

The only thing I can contribute to this discussion is recommendations on treats. I haven't yet tried pine nuts or hemp seeds, but Paulie absolutely loves chia seeds and nuts. Both are cost efficient, healthy, last a while, and we can both eat it!

One recommendation I have for vegetables is to chop up what you give your Pascal and stuff it into a pepper. I typically use a mixture of chop and quinoa (Paulie LOVES quinoa) and stuff it into a mini bell pepper. It's the perfect size for a heaping serving. Stuffing it into the pepper is dual purpose; feeding and foraging. Your precious Pascal will have to tear up the pepper to get to the good stuff ;).

Hope this helps! Welcome to the family, we love pictures and updates so please keep us informed.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I got a new parrotlet as a friend for him and, unaware that quarantine was a thing, introduced them. He adores her, and he's much happier. He's even a little less skittish. XD

Also, I've tried hemp seeds. She loves them. I don't know how he feels yet. Haven't seen him try them.
Color me envious of Pascal! I have considered getting a male friend for Luna, but she is so cage aggressive, and even aggressive towards my unassuming linnies, that I'm afraid she'd not accept a new friend! Glad to hear it's working out for you so far!!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well I found this thread way late...

Now that you have 2 fids, might I suggest heading over to the feathered food court. Take a look in on the sprouting aspect of fids diets. I do 1 meal a day usually breakfast. It's really easy after you get the handle on things. I use a topper on my sprouts of an herb, & sprinkle heart healthy seeds over the top. (Ground flax seed, ground hemp hearts & chia seed)

It's easier than grocery shopping, cheaper than fresh veggies & fruit & if you do a little grain, a little bean & a little healthy (even a bit of bad) seed you will be making a powerhouse meal for them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If he doesn’t like hands, try other ways of interacting. My parrotlet Skittles was force-handled like you described and is afraid of hands. So I taught him “perch” and he flies to the perch I point to. He will now after 3 years take millet from my hand. He also lands on my shoulder, back or head without fear as long as I remember to keep hands away.

We also have word and singing games we play.

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
That sounds like my parrotlet Nesbit. He was actually hand-raised by a good breeder but he's always been skittish. We've had him for about 3 years now and we have squared away that he will never like hands, he doesn't like being grabbed or pet but he does enjoy riding a shoulder.

If Pascal has a favorite treat I would recommend bringing his cage into a small room, opening the door and allowing him to come out on his own. Hold his favorite treat up to your shoulder and see if he comes to you.

Parrotlets' usually love millet and also people with long hair, so if you have that, that is a plus. Just make sure he doesn't get tangled up.

I noticed in the comments you got him a friend. Having a friend who isn't as shy can really boost their confidence, so that is great but I wouldn't recommend they share a cage. Do you have separate enclosures for them?