• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DO NO USE CLOROX CLEANER + BLEACH - warning to ALL pet owners!

sailerrose

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sailer Rose
Hi all, I'm a "new" member to the group but have been coming to Avian Avenue for advice for years. Today I made an account to make a post about this specifically.
My green wing macaw was poisoned this weekend after a family member sprayed Clorox's Cleaner + Bleach in the same room.
My house has an open floor plan and is well ventilated, and even though I should have known better I allowed a family member to use a new cleaner from the store: Clorox Cleaner + Bleach. Possibly half a dozen sprays onto a cutting board in the sink was enough to nearly fatally poison my macaw that was in the same house. Within 5 minutes of this spray being used my bird became disoriented, displayed respiratory distress, was unable to perch or keep balance, had uncontrollable regurgitation and incontinence. I immediately sought out veterinary care and she was treated and survived. During this whole ordeal I discovered that an acquaintance's small dog was also poisoned last week from the same cleanser. They used Clorox Bleach + Cleaner on their floors, but its unknown if fumes were inhaled or the product was absorbed through the pads of it's feet. Same toxicosis symptoms, but the puppy was saved using activated charcoal. It's commonly known that bleach should never be mixed with other cleaners, but this comes as a prepackaged mixture. Please warn other pet owners, this is a highly toxic product that shouldn't be on the shelves. I know I should have known better and I am so, so fortunate that my birdie survived. I'm hoping to prevent other's from heartache. Thank you for reading and sharing.
Rose

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so glad your bird is ok now. Thanks for this warning.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm glad your bird is okay! That's so scary. Most household cleaners are sadly not safe for our birds unfortunately :( Bleach fumes alone can kill them without being mixed with anything.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very scary! I´m so glad your bird is ok!!

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I’m glad your macaw is safe now. Thanks for sharing!