• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do I need to take my bird to the vet (Misha update)

JOgirl

Moving in
Real Name
Julia
Hi everyone (again),
I'm not sure if anyone answering this post will have seen my last one but I am a new diamond dove owner, and I have had my two male diamond doves for about 2 months. A little bit ago I noticed a small patch of what looked like missing feathers on one male, Misha, and now I have noticed that it has become a more larger area (extremely more noticeable now) and I'm getting concerned again. On my last post everyone said that it looked to be fine, but now I'm not so sure. I'm a first time dove owner so I'm not sure whats "normal" or not, but my other dove doesnt look like this. I don't know if this is relevant, but Misha is MUCH smaller than my other dove as well. I have attached pictures of Misha's bare areas. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Attachments

JOgirl

Moving in
Real Name
Julia
Hi everyone (again),
I'm not sure if anyone answering this post will have seen my last one but I am a new diamond dove owner, and I have had my two male diamond doves for about 2 months. A little bit ago I noticed a small patch of what looked like missing feathers on one male, Misha, and now I have noticed that it has become a more larger area (extremely more noticeable now) and I'm getting concerned again. On my last post everyone said that it looked to be fine, but now I'm not so sure. I'm a first time dove owner so I'm not sure whats "normal" or not, but my other dove doesnt look like this. I don't know if this is relevant, but Misha is MUCH smaller than my other dove as well. I have attached pictures of Misha's bare areas. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. 20210504_214423.jpg

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
It is a bit more noticeable than it was before, but it is difficult to try to tell exactly what might be going on by just seeing pictures. I would definitely rather be safe than sorry, so if you feel like it's cause for concern, it won't hurt to get them a vet appointment just to verify what's going on.

(Also, off topic, but I noticed that in the background of your photo it looks like there are beauty products and sprays. Some beauty products, sprays and things with strong fragrances can be bad and sometimes fatal for a birds respiratory system if used in close proximity to them.)

Last edited:

JOgirl

Moving in
Real Name
Julia
It is a bit more noticeable than it was before, but it is difficult to try to tell exactly what might be going on by just seeing pictures. I would definitely rather be safe than sorry, so if you feel like it's cause for concern, it won't hurt to get them a vet appointment just to verify what's going on.

(Also, off topic, but I noticed that in the background of your photo it looks like there are beauty products and sprays. Some beauty products, sprays and things with strong fragrances can be bad and sometimes fatal for a birds respiratory system if used in close proximity to them.)
Hi, yes I did read about that and I use no perfumes or perfumed products in my room with them. Thank you for your concern though :).

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is the other one pecking him?

I think if you’re concerned it would be good to take him to the vet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you think one is plucking at the other, put them in separate cages side by side. You can still let them out together under supervision.
If things don´t get better, a vet visit is the next step.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Hello! Is Misha molting? When my birds molt they sometimes get little bald spots on their face. Also have you seen your other dove picking on Misha? I'm sure others will come along with advice.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it gets any worse I'd suggest a vet check. It could be conjunctivitis, which is highly contagious.

JOgirl

Moving in
Real Name
Julia
Hello! Is Misha molting? When my birds molt they sometimes get little bald spots on their face. Also have you seen your other dove picking on Misha? I'm sure others will come along with advice.
Hi, I'm not quite sure what would be classified as "molting", but there have been quite a few feathers loose on him, as well as feathers strewn around my room? I read that most birds molt in spring and winter, would this be close enough to fit into that time frame? Also yes, my other Bird indigo does pluck at mishas feathers sometimes, but misha also does the same to him.

JOgirl

Moving in
Real Name
Julia
If it gets any worse I'd suggest a vet check. It could be conjunctivitis, which is highly contagious.
Hi, thank you so much for informing me about how birds can get pink eye, I'll definitely be on the look out to see if it worsens and he shows symptoms of it :)

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
It could be an infection, im rlly not sure, but I’m 99% sure doves arent strong enough to pluck, but i cant find any info that addresses that.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be an infection, im rlly not sure, but I’m 99% sure doves arent strong enough to pluck, but i cant find any info that addresses that.
All birds can pluck/chew/self damage their own feathers and skin. From canary to chicken to osprey to cassowary. They can all be self mutilators or mutilate others.