• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do I have a red factor jenday conure?

Blipper454

Moving in
Real Name
Alexander
Hi, I got picaso yesterday from his owners who couldnt keep him because they moved, They told me he was a red factor sun conure but I think he is a jenday conure. In the picture it looks more of a dark orange but in person his belly is a dark red, under his wings is a nice red and on his 2 shoulders/where the wings bone bends kinda area. His head is alot darker then my regular sun conure Ive had for a year. Is he a red factor?

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never heard of a Red Factor Jenday but he does look quite dark red more so than I'd personally seen a Jenday look.

@Teckechick

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He does have red in him but red factors have much more and vivid red than picasso from images i have seen, he is a lovely bird.

Blipper454

Moving in
Real Name
Alexander
He does have red in him but red factors have much more and vivid red than picasso from images i have seen, he is a lovely bird.
So then what is he? A jenday with just a darker color?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is he? Young suns can have very green wing feathers.

Blipper454

Moving in
Real Name
Alexander
How old is he? Young suns can have very green wing feathers.
Around a year give or take, my sun conure who is around his age has some green but no where near the amount he has.

some also told me its a red sunday (red factor sun conure + jenday)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah around a year I would think you'd start seeing some other colors in the wings. I would guess he's a Jenday, not sure I would assume Sunday but I could be wrong.

a4a5b41f35e2226f231a6c7e60d47c21.jpg

Blipper454

Moving in
Real Name
Alexander
Yeah around a year I would think you'd start seeing some other colors in the wings. I would guess he's a Jenday, not sure I would assume Sunday but I could be wrong.

View attachment 423537
Hm… Why is he redder then most jendays?

Someone told me his head is alot like a sun conures

Edit: I also had a dna test done on him from my local bird store it said his gender and species red factor sun conure, but i dont know if thats what the bird store told the lab or if they got that from the dna

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hm… Why is he redder then most jendays?

Someone told me his head is alot like a sun conures
He may just have more red. Idk if he specifically is or isn't red factor. Just that he is not a sun conure.

Jenday and Sun Conures are often misidentified because they are so closely related and look very similar. So I would be curious as to what specifically looks more Sun Conure about his head than a Jenday. If you Google Jenday vs Sun Conure you'll find a lot of images comparing the two, like this one:

Jenday-vs-Sun-Conure.jpg

Again, I don't know if your bird is high red or red factor. Or if it's a hybrid. Just that it is definitely not a sun conure.

Blipper454

Moving in
Real Name
Alexander
He may just have more red. Idk if he specifically is or isn't red factor. Just that he is not a sun conure.

Jenday and Sun Conures are often misidentified because they are so closely related and look very similar. So I would be curious as to what specifically looks more Sun Conure about his head than a Jenday. If you Google Jenday vs Sun Conure you'll find a lot of images comparing the two, like this one:

View attachment 423538

Again, I don't know if your bird is high red or red factor. Or if it's a hybrid. Just that it is definitely not a sun conure.
Thank you

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He might be a low expression RF or like the red factor African greys that lose the red as they molt. The Sundays I've seen have more yellow in their wings, so I'd guess Jenday.

Blipper454

Moving in
Real Name
Alexander
He might be a low expression RF or like the red factor African greys that lose the red as they molt. The Sundays I've seen have more yellow in their wings, so I'd guess Jenday.
hi, what do you mean by low expression if you mind telling me?

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Upon first glance he looks like a Jenday (more orange, solid green wings).

The only thing that makes me slightly doubt that is the distribution of the red on his face. In Jendays the red is more limited and should be concentrated around the eyes, while in Suns there is more red and it is more spread across the cheeks/ears.

He could be a Sun-Jenday with low Sun ancestry, but honestly this is more likely just an example of variation across individuals within the same species (not all are the exact same shade of yellow with exact same distribution of red on the face). I would bet he is just a Jenday that happens to be slightly more orange.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
hi, what do you mean by low expression if you mind telling me?
In color mutations, some individuals have more color than others. A low expression form would only be a little different from a normal.

SpinySpino

Sitting on the front steps
He looks very similar to my boy Mojo

A7A55168-4D24-4958-BB33-255194934649.jpeg
I've always been told that he was jenday but he does have some mottled yellow on his wings and has a bit more red on his face which I found unusual for his species

1677171367912.png

Definitely not a sun conure though!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He looks very similar to my boy Mojo

View attachment 423667
I've always been told that he was jenday but he does have some mottled yellow on his wings and has a bit more red on his face which I found unusual for his species

View attachment 423668

Definitely not a sun conure though!
This would I be more inclined to believe is a Sunday :) not saying it is for sure but I could see it!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Here are some pictures of Aries. She was our Jenday. I have not seen a red factor Jenday before but there are a ton of mutations I have never seen. You can compare these pictures to your bird (what a cutie by the way) :xflove: I have more if you want more to compare just shout.
E35972E6-E920-4C54-A0EC-84A4D561B469.jpeg 5708218B-41D9-4B86-A9A1-AD8A990F31CF.jpeg BDB171F6-D48C-4D72-9DF0-A23C9C17F1CA.jpeg 81AD5151-5CD3-4018-B1F7-AEFCB02F854A.jpeg