• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Do I have a foot problem?

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Please don't rub tartaric powder it is an acid that can be corrosive and it probably will react since it would be diluted with olive oil. My mistake I meant tumiric powder.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Turmeric: a powerful healing spice

This a link for benafits of turmeric powder on birds.

Thanks for the link!Very interesting.

Adelie is currently moulting so cannot use it, but I will bring this up with my vet on the next check up.

For now we will stick to the physiotherapy.

I haven´t given up yet, I owe it to her to keep trying.
I think when her birthday arrives, I will lose all hope. But until then I will remain open minded and positive.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
So how is Adelie? Is the therapy working? I hope she is doing ok. Go Adelie:cheer:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So how is Adelie? Is the therapy working?

I´m not sure.
When I have her, I can stretch her foot out and open it completely. The problem is she does not keep it open. I really don´t know how this will pan out.
She is getting a little red on the edge of her foot - the bit she is walking on incorrectly. The vet is keeping an eye on her and we will be back there a week tomorrow, I think he will put some sort of cushion on her. I´m a little unsure of his plans as we speak in my second language and the words translated come back a little odd. My vet doesn´t speak English.

The problem is the little bend: http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?attachments/img_20190128_164816-jpg.295254/
The vet seems hopefull that the little back toe will be fine, but he is not sure about the longer back toe (the one with the bend)

Also, I recently posted Pictures - EEeeep! It´s starting! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum because she started moulting... so you know what that means.. extra wriggling and frustration making doing the stretching much more difficult :(

I´m not sure how this will affect our relationship but I´m willing to sacrifice our tight bond if it means I can get her foot better.
It would be a small price to pay.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Wenzer , are you able to open Chloes foot like this? Or is her´s closed tightly?

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
I´m not sure.
When I have her, I can stretch her foot out and open it completely. The problem is she does not keep it open. I really don´t know how this will pan out.
She is getting a little red on the edge of her foot - the bit she is walking on incorrectly. The vet is keeping an eye on her and we will be back there a week tomorrow, I think he will put some sort of cushion on her. I´m a little unsure of his plans as we speak in my second language and the words translated come back a little odd. My vet doesn´t speak English.

The problem is the little bend: http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?attachments/img_20190128_164816-jpg.295254/
The vet seems hopefull that the little back toe will be fine, but he is not sure about the longer back toe (the one with the bend)

Also, I recently posted Pictures - EEeeep! It´s starting! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum because she started moulting... so you know what that means.. extra wriggling and frustration making doing the stretching much more difficult :(

I´m not sure how this will affect our relationship but I´m willing to sacrifice our tight bond if it means I can get her foot better.
It would be a small price to pay.
I think the cushion is a great idea it will mean less pressure on the toe when she walks but she will need to get used to it and it will take time. What I realy am curous about is how did it happen in the first place . Genetics, due to something in the nesting material, or is weakness due to vitamin deficiencies. The last one is very unlikely as she is so nice,fat and healthy. If we can find out we can prevent it. I doubt it's splay legs but here is some info anyways. Screenshot (6).png

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It´s not a deficiency because she was on formula from day 5.
It´s not splayed legs either, splayed legs is when the leg is not aligned right and will stick out or up in the air.

I think this is something that happens in-egg. I´m not sure if it is linked to genetics.

If her foot doesn´t straighten, that´s ok too. I´ll keep you updated anyway :)

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
@Wenzer , are you able to open Chloes foot like this? Or is her´s closed tightly?
Sorry, just now seeing this!

I can open Chloe's feet all the way, but like you stated with Adelie, her feet have one toe each that seem to bend as if they are naturally wanting to go forward/closed instead of backwards/outwards. Especially prominent on her right foot, but is noticable on her left as well.
Chloe also can use one back toe on each of her feet the natural way, which allows her some grip. But it's the second back toe that wants to fold.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I have 2 adult tiels and each one has a foot like Adelie's. Both were seen by Dr. Sakas, in fact Chickpea had been injured in an attack by another fid and spent several days at the vet hospital. They had been able to straighten out her foot and had it taped in a normal position but once she came home and the tape was removed her foot folded so all her toes face forward. The vet had said it might happen due to muscle injury caused in the attack.

Baldie has a similar situation but I have no background on what happened. He'd been sold to a bird owner friend (not on AA) but 2 weeks later she gave him back. He'd obviously been attacked by something larger and literally had a hole in his right leg just above the foot. He was treated by the vet and had his foot taped plus had to wear a cone. His leg eventually filled in but once the bandages were removed from his foot the toes were facing forward. The foot atrophied just like Chickpeas and can't really be used.

In spite of that though, both Chickpea and Baldie can perch both on flat surfaces, perches and platform perches. In fact, Chickpea and her OH sleep on the frame of one of the pictures hanging in the bird/family room. They stick together as a couple. Both Chickpea and Baldie are "hands off" tiels due to having been treated and medicated when they were young.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for your replies Kaitlin and Sandra,

The vet seemed a little concerned that Adelie would get a sore on the part of her foot that she rests. It is a little pink. (I´ll edit a picture onto this post from my mobile). She loves using the teddy bear as a perch to sleep on, so it can´t be from that. Her platform is cardboard. She sleeps in a wooden box lined with wood shavings (like a papillero)

We were meant to be at the vet tomorrow, but we will be going thursday instead. I don´t know if he will try and tape her foot. I have a feeling that if he did, it would return like it is now after the tape is off. I don´t want to be a negative nelly, it´s just a feeling... I am still hoping so badly that it can be fixed.

If he tries taping her foot and it doesn´t work, I think I will re-do her cage and include more fleece surfaces and remove her natural perches altogether....

We will see!

Not sure if you will be able to see at the base of her toes it is pink..
Screenshot_20190527_182721_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Doing excersizes...
IMG_20190522_224623.jpg