• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Do I have a foot problem?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe. Also, this was egg number 9- that says a lot too :(
He´s been stretching and doing lots of flapping today. His tail feathers are still small.
Yes, I hope that will happen. Just so he can sit confortably .
I´ll update when he takes his first flight :D

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Keep up with the physio on him. Stretch those muscles and tendons a little more each time. It probably won't make using his feet easier in the long term but there's a good chance you'll get him to his best a bit quicker. Exercise, exercise, and a little more love. And exercise.
The more you can do now the better it'll be for him later.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Guys,
I thought this thread deserves an update.

We´re still the same as when we started :(

Not what I was hoping for. Every day the same, back to square one.

I have noticed on certain fabrics, his nails are getting stuck, so I can see this being an issue for him in the future.

I haven´t bought him a cage yet. He´s still living in his nest box inside Sydneys ¨travel¨ cage. He´s going to be 7 weeks old tomorrow, but still looks about 5 - 5.5 weeks.

I still keep trying. But I think it is what it is.
Adelie may be what is called "the runt" of the clutch but the fact that he's still fighting to be with you and "normal" means he may be sma in size but HUGE in spirit. He might grow a little slower than the rest of his siblings but he is his own little powerhouse.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Adelie may be what is called "the runt" of the clutch but the fact that he's still fighting to be with you and "normal" means he may be sma in size but HUGE in spirit. He might grow a little slower than the rest of his siblings but he is his own little powerhouse.
Yes for sure!! Hense his name, after the penguin - a very small breed but fierce.

He´s started jumping, like a frog or a grasshopper. It is very worrying. I can´t lift him too high, or take my eyes off him for a second. He will jump right off my coffee table to get to me without seeing the drop. I have to hold on tight if I´m walking around the house with him. None of my other birds did this. They wanted to be with me but were never so kamikaze like this one.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I wonder if you can add some hemp-oil to his food? Can you find that in Spain?

Their was a reason that his parents didn't want to feed him, but he is your miracle, with or without perfect feet.
And as he don't know anything else, he will be fine and learning to compensate with his wings instead.
I think it's important that you file his claws now. If he can't use them properly and getting stuck, that can make him want to move less.
Just take a glass/paper/SS file and file off the tip. It goes fast, and you can do that before he gets food so he soon will forget about it and sees the food as a treat for being good.

They wanted to be with me but were never so kamikaze like this one.
Then it's time to train him to wear a harness. We don't like kamikaze parrots. :D

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have some CBD oil, my boyfriend got it hoping it would help his little sister but it was too late.
He´s 7 weeks old but still small. He looks 5.5 weeks still. His wings are still nowhere near capable of flying. His brothers have been flying all week.
Still on 4 feeds a day.
I will definately file the nails tomorrow morning before first feed. Just the tips, I have a light nail file so it files slower than a regular nail file :)
It is not affecting his desire to move. I might put sydneys harness on him and see if he gets used to it. :D

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
have some CBD oil,
Hemp and CBD oil isn't the same.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but CBD has a high THC level because it's made of the whole plant? If so you don't want to give that to a bird.
Hemp oil has no level of THC and CBD and are made from the seed = 100% safe to give.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
CBD oil (hemp extract) has no THC.
THC oil has THC.
Hemp oil has no CBD or THC

My local Holland and Barrett sells hemp oil :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
CBD oil (hemp extract) has no THC.
But it's still made from the whole plant and in Sweden consider as a drug.
Hemp oil made from the seed (later you can give him only hemp seed) are not classified as a drug and are safe.
Many bird owner in Sweden add that oil to their chop so I'm not the only one. (but I prefer to sprout the seeds, they taste so good!)

Last year I plucked my own seed on this field. I was bringing some leaf with me home, that I want to use as a herb. (dried)
But the smell wasn't nice at all. And it also is classified as a drug. And for my competitions I'm not allowed to use any drugs.
But the field looked beautiful, and I will go back this year, because the seed was top quality, and I will say that 100% sprout in less then 24 hrs.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
CBD oil is made from commercial grade hemp. It's usually the male plant that produces the most CBD whilst producing the least THC. Yes there is enough THC in the oil to register on a tox screen but to take enough in any attempt to get the psychoactive high of that small a quantity of THC will make you physically sick as a dog.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That photograph is beautiful.

I know recently the makeup brand I use (on occassion) released a CBD oil, but I know it was mixed with other things, so to me that is a serum, not an oil.
Revolution Skin Nourishing Oil - CBD OIL | RevolutionBeauty.com

I use pure oils at home: Castor, Argan and Rosehip. (And cod liver oil for the dog)

Very interesting (people giving the hemp oil to their birds). What do they say the benefits are?
It´s not something I would have thought of.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Guys I just want to cry.
So, I created a little set up for Adélie because I don't want to start buying without knowing what I need. So I used the "travel cage" /nursery, and I've put a perch, a set of ladders so he can get to bed and a couple of balls if he's feeling adventurous.
IMG_20190216_230159_1.jpg
He is still in the nesting box he hatched in, when he learns to poop outside of it I'll give him the new one I bought him.
So I did this 2 days ago. But he wouldn't come out of the nest box.
Screenshot_20190217_212601.jpg
After feeding I would put him in the bottom of the cage and he'd climb up and stay in the doorway to the nest.
Last night I was talking with my boyfriend and I think we might take the base of the cage out. I don't see it being comfortable for him.
Today we had progress.
Adélie came out of the cage and made his way to the perch.... And he grabbed on to it!!!!
He did it just before I nipped out earlier and the little back toe didn't go around the branch,it was over the perch instead of under, just the longer toe was under, but it was a start...
IMG_20190218_191651.jpg
But now he is sitting holding the perch correctly. I'm so happy. It's giving me a really positive feeling.
IMG_20190218_183551.jpg
He still walks with a closed foot. But at least he may be able to perch without falling off.
I've added some pictures, you can see, it's not right, but better than him trying to perch with his closed foot on top of the perch and not grabbing.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Really is great news. I'm sometimes amazed by what birds can do despite problems like this. Adapt and overcome - the key to survival.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful news! I hope the perch will help him stretch his foot - it's probably the best physio you can provide.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Quite so. I even feel a bit guilty that I had lost hope a little, thinking he wouldn´t be able to perch. This just shows, you should never give up hoping and believing :D
He´s back in the nest looking out. But I will keep an eye on him and hopefully he´ll have another look around later.

Maybe it is for the best he does not sit there for a long time, as I don´t know if he is stopping blood flow or anything like that. His little setup is right in front of me so I can check his foot if he perches again. But when I checked last time the toe was nicely laid, not bent at a bad angle.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But at least he may be able to perch without falling off.
I have never doubt that. He will adjust, and it doesn't matter how that toe is placed, he will be fine.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
An other thing you can try is rubbing tartaric powder mixed with olive oil and gently massaging it on his his leg that will really get the blood flow and the tartaric powder that will be absorbed by the leg will make it stronger. I have a dove that once injured her leg on something in the room when flying it looked curled and weirdly shaped like yours this really helped her recover and I feel your happiness when your baby perched I was over the moon with joy the day she finnaly perched and now currently is sitting on 2 eggs with her mate. I hope your baby recovers soon:fairy:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
An other thing you can try is rubbing tartaric powder mixed with olive oil and gently massaging it on his his leg that will really get the blood flow and the tartaric powder that will be absorbed by the leg will make it stronger. I have a dove that once injured her leg on something in the room when flying it looked curled and weirdly shaped like yours this really helped her recover and I feel your happiness when your baby perched I was over the moon with joy the day she finnaly perched and now currently is sitting on 2 eggs with her mate. I hope your baby recovers soon:fairy:
I've never heard of tartaric powder being used in this way. I know it occurs in wine. Is there any reference material I can read somewhere? Google draws a blank.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
I've never heard of tartaric powder being used in this way. I know it occurs in wine. Is there any reference material I can read somewhere? Google draws a blank.
OH my I can not believe I made such a big mistake I meant turmiric powder it is orange in color and here in Pakistan is known as Haldi and is a natural antiseptic. :bash:. I must have mixed it up.   :sorry::oops2:since auto correct did not correct my spelling I assumed it must have been right:headsmack:

Last edited: