• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Do I have a foot problem?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
To really give him exercise you should use something soft that will shrink and expand when he's putting pressure of it. (Some kind of form rubber, but not to thin) I was using a part of a yoga mat to Akela.
Go between letting him sit still and moving the perch so he grips harder. Repeat that several times.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:O Tienes un monton de pajaros! Aqui donde vivo se venden esos cotorras (solo los verdes) muy barratos, me encantaria uno pero he escuchado que hacen muuuuucho ruido.
En mi ciudad se van a matar todos los cotorras salvajes :( He puesto en los comentarios del facebook que si alguien lo encuentres nidos o bebes que sus padres no regresan, para avisarme.
Y los hijo putas que trabajan por el ayuntamiento, se cortan las palmeras y tiran los nidos al suelo. Que me parten el corazon.

Lo veo un pajaro super precioso. Un dia uno tendra :)
Quakers are illegal in several states here in the U.S. and nests are taken down too. I believe though that some of the states, NJ or NY, will actually contact rescues if there are chicks in the nest. Yes, they can be noisy, but they can be so funny. They're also very intelligent and some are "mechanically inclined" and can open cage doors. They can pick up words very well too when they want to.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t know if there even is a place here that rehomes birds. They are sold or released. Cats and dogs go to the shelter. I´ve seen one or two rabbits arrive at my local shelter in the last few years and they usually get rehomed quick. Birds are never even mentioned :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great video! Awwww I sooooooo would love to have one!
When I move into a nice house I´ll go and find one. Until then I´ll research :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
To really give him exercise you should use something soft that will shrink and expand when he's putting pressure of it. (Some kind of form rubber, but not to thin) I was using a part of a yoga mat to Akela.
Go between letting him sit still and moving the perch so he grips harder. Repeat that several times.
I must hace missed this comment. Do you have any suggestions of things I could use, like everyday things that I´m likely to have. This is similar to the prev. post recommending a tampon, that would shrink and expand

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I must hace missed this comment. Do you have any suggestions of things I could use, like everyday things that I´m likely to have. This is similar to the prev. post recommending a tampon, that would shrink and expand
Maybe wrap a thin perch in a piece of fleece or small towel, gradually increasing the width that way.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe wrap a thin perch in a piece of fleece or small towel, gradually increasing the width that way.
Interesting. That´s a good idea. Thanks :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Do you have any suggestions of things I could use, like everyday things that I´m likely to have.
A yoga mat? :D Form rubber will me much better training then a tampon.
Some bathroom floor squeegee is made of form rubber that will work.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
With Sif’s feet i always worked with soft stuff. It’s hard enough on them when the foot is deformed and even worse when they have to aggravate by gripping something hard that has no give. Rubber, wood, hard plastic-none of this stuff has true give for a bird that small. Anything soft but firm could be used like non-pill fleece or ace bandage that would be easier to squeeze/way gentler on his foot, where you can still change the size by adding more, but mainly your focus should be first getting his foot to “remember” how it should sit. Increasing the strength may help him grip tighter but it could also tighten all the muscles in tendons to freeze in the wrong position. IMO Physical therapy in cases like these are about dexterity and a little focus on strength not strength with a small focus on dexterity. Since Sif can now hold anything from a green bean to star anise in her deformed foot just proves that it’s not always about strength.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Adelie is still a little baby, so the main thing I´ve been doing is feed him, and then when he wants to sleep, I have kept him in my hand and made him hold my finger to sleep. So, he´s not gripping per say, as when he nods off he loosens his grip, but it is opening up.

First thing in the morning it is impossible to give him something to hold :( So it has to be my finger, later in the day I could use something else.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Maybe something like a sponge Like a kitchen sponge or a loofah (obviously unused) or a piece of foam like the type used in cushions or pillows? Like memory foam would work?

The sponge or loofah have to be damp to make it soft but either could be shaped with scissors.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Here is Adélie today.
Like I said, it is exactly the same every morning no matter how much progress I felt we made the day before. Every day I'm holding him and opening his foot.
IMG_20190203_143501.jpg
First thing in the morning he can't hold anything. I have to push my finger in his foot, it takes a minute or two as he's squirming because he wants to snuggle in and sleep.
After he's held my finger a little while, he can grab stuff. But after not holding anything for a while his foot closes again and I'm back to square one.

Kodigirl210

Is it me or does Adelie’s ankle also turn some and not just the foot?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is it me or does Adelie’s ankle also turn some and not just the foot?
I´ve just checked on that. No. Ankle looks ok. Maybe it´s the angle the picture is taken at.
Another problem I´m experiencing is his toenails getting caught on fabrics and he´s unable to ¨let go¨. I´ve just thought that if this doesn´t correct, then I´ll have to look into how to trim nails. My other birds have pedi perches and cuttlefish bones and look after their owns beaks and nails.

Kodigirl210

Ah that’s good. Another suggestion. I asked my friends who bred the conure I own. He said you could try using a piece of toothpick and wrap to try to brace the ankle and toes. Idk if it’s possible for you to do that but I figure throwing out ideas are better than nothing. :shrug:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Since Adelie is used to having her feet being touched you might be able to take the points off the nails with a nail clipper or a regular nail file.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Guys,
I thought this thread deserves an update.

We´re still the same as when we started :(

Not what I was hoping for. Every day the same, back to square one.

I have noticed on certain fabrics, his nails are getting stuck, so I can see this being an issue for him in the future.

I haven´t bought him a cage yet. He´s still living in his nest box inside Sydneys ¨travel¨ cage. He´s going to be 7 weeks old tomorrow, but still looks about 5 - 5.5 weeks.

I still keep trying. But I think it is what it is.

Kodigirl210

That is sad to hear. Adeline was very tiny so it was probably something that happened in the egg.

Perhaps he will be a superb flier and learn how to force his foot open on a finger or a perch as he grows older. It just means he won’t be able to walk as well as everyone else. I should think flying would be more fun anyway.

I would keep working with if only to teach him how his foot should sit properly & hopefully when it comes in contact with something round like a perch the foot will remember what to do.
Best of luck ;)