• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Do I have a foot problem?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi guys,
I have a slow growing Roseicollis, hatched 22.Dec.2018, he is 37 days old.
The others in the clutch are almost fully grown and are leaving tomorrow.
The youngest wasn´t being fed from 5 days old, I stepped in, he lived in the nest but was fed by only myself.
He looks about 1.5weeks younger than the other yet is only a day younger.

So, I noticed about a week ago that the little one, Adelie, still has his foot ¨closed¨, like the claw machine coming up after missing the plushie.
I thought this was because he is growing much slower and that he would eventually open his foot but he still walks with a closed foot.
I have been putting my little finger in his foot for the last day or so to encourage his to grab my finger. it seems to help, but I may just be being optimistic. On my hand, he seems to be trying to open his foot, but it still doesnt look right.

What´s your thoughts? will it open in time? Is there something else I can try?

This bird is not being rehomed like the others, He´s staying with me.
I´m going to go and take some photos and come back here on my mobile to upload pics.

Edit; pictures
IMG_20190128_164816.jpg IMG_20190128_170014.jpg IMG_20190128_170045.jpg IMG_20190128_170059.jpg IMG_20190128_170116.jpg

The other foot is ok:
IMG_20190128_170149.jpg

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Was this the youngest one that looked as if it might have splayed legs in one of the pix?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Was this the youngest one that looked as if it might have splayed legs in one of the pix?
He doesn´t have splayed legs, I have a photo of his and his leg seems off because I took the pic on my wooden table without the towel down. Maybe that´s the photo you saw? When the towel is down his legs are together, same on the sofa and on my jumper. Just the foot that is off :(
It is the same young bird that has been mentioned a lot in my other thread from when he was younger

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
He doesn´t have splayed legs, I have a photo of his and his leg seems off because I took the pic on my wooden table without the towel down. Maybe that´s the photo you saw? When the towel is down his legs are together, same on the sofa and on my jumper. Just the foot that is off :(
I noticed he didn't look the same in the other photos but figured I should ask. If you very gently extend his leg does he pull it back in? I looked at your newer pix and it looks like his toes are curled under. You're massaging his foot and extending his toes isn't likely to hurt him

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The toes lay straight.i think they look curled on the table because of his toenails. I've took another picture
IMG_20190128_173230.jpg
If I straighten his leg, at first he pulls back, like when I do wings, but no crying or any other sound. Then he will let me slowly pull it straight.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m shamelessly bumping my own post as I´m still after any advice / thoughts RE my little ones foot :(

Still the same as the photos above (taken at those time stamps).

Thanks to everyone who reads the thread, even if you have no advice to give, I appreciate the time taken

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I wish I had something to offer, advice wise. Your babies are really cute. :hug8:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I noticed he didn't look the same in the other photos but figured I should ask. If you very gently extend his leg does he pull it back in? I looked at your newer pix and it looks like his toes are curled under. You're massaging his foot and extending his toes isn't likely to hurt him
Sandra, do you think something like this setup would help shape his toes? It looks to be medical tape and just a small piece of cardboard.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sandra, do you think something like this setup would help shape his toes? It looks to be medical tape and just a small piece of cardboard.
Thanks, This looks like something I could do... Do you think it would help? I´ll see if I can find more info / results about this

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think it's permanent. But if you gently have it taped 20 min several times/day together with first warm then cold water to high up the blood circulation it can't hurt either.
To have it permanent taped can be bad so I will not advice you to do that.
If I look I see that the back toe is growing forward. To fixed it permanent back can make him loose it beacuse that can shut off his blood circulation.
So taped for shorter times and massaging is my recommendation. (Every thing that is good for blood circulation)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for your input J.T @Eloy . It helps. The last thing I want is to make more damage! He fought incredibly hard to be alive, and I just want to do my best for him, he deserves it!
I may try this then, for a few minutes like you say... but for 20 minutes, maybe I could use a large perch to get started? He´s still a baby so will happily sit with me.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He´s staying with me.
I forgot to reply to this earlier.
I'm very happy to hear that. I have thought from the beginning that he belongs to you. ♡
maybe I could use a large perch to get started?
Yes that will be just fine. You will see if he doesn't like it better that way.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I forgot to reply to this earlier.
I'm very happy to hear that. I have thought from the beginning that he belongs to you. ♡
My heart won´t let him leave my home. I tried my best not to get attached, as I already have a lot of birds, but it was not meant to be.
He was always called Nine, as in Number 9 (egg number), and he is growing to be identical to his sibling Nube, which means Cloud in Spanish, so together they are Cloud 9 ... Also, 22 is my lucky number. I think it was just meant to be from the beginning :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
He's young enough that it might be a big help. I'm not a vet but I'm thinking that, since he was the smallest of the clutch, his foot might have been injured in the nest. Two of my tiels suffered leg/foot injuries and have atrophied feet.

The oldest, Sweet Pea, had a hospital stay at the vet and they had wrapped her foot so that 2 toes were forward and 2 were backward. Which was good until she came home; once her foot was unwrapped the toes reverted back to the way they had been. Tiel Baldy went to a new home and was returned 3 weeks later because he didn't get along with the other tiels and with a hole in one leg which was affecting his foot. Took him to the vet who cleaned the wound and wrapped it but said that his foot would probably atrophy because of the muscle damage done to his leg. He'd said to keep him in a hospital cage which I did but Baldy's foot is curled as is Sweet Pea's.

I'm trying not to be a Debbie Downer so I will say this - my two tiels walk funny but their foot problems have not stopped them from behaving like normal tiels. Baldy is trying to woo any lady tiel who doesn't have a bonded mate. Sweet Pea is bonded and has had 2 clutches. I have adapted a couple of platform perches by wrapping them in vet wrap and I attached one to the front of the nestbox that Sweet Pea prefers. Their feet haven't stopped them from climbing or land on vet wrapped straight perches or even regular perches.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks @SandraK
He is walking around with his little claw foot. He runs to me and jumps off the coffee table to get to me and clambers all the way up to snuggle under my chin. He's active and acting normally. Hopefully this will help him but better that than do nothing. I don't see this fixing itself now as he is getting older. And the other foot is now strong.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
My heart won´t let him leave my home. I tried my best not to get attached, as I already have a lot of birds, but it was not meant to be.
He was always called Nine, as in Number 9 (egg number), and he is growing to be identical to his sibling Nube, which means Cloud in Spanish, so together they are Cloud 9 ... Also, 22 is my lucky number. I think it was just meant to be from the beginning :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:
:jillone: :thankyou: You could call him Ash/e or maybe Petit. Or Guapo/Guapito (Handsome) Chiquito (Little One) or Corazon (heart/love). Angel also came to mind since it stays the same in English & Spanish. :wink2:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Thanks @SandraK
He is walking around with his little claw foot. He runs to me and jumps off the coffee table to get to me and clambers all the way up to snuggle under my chin. He's active and acting normally. Hopefully this will help him but better that than do nothing. I don't see this fixing itself now as he is getting older. And the other foot is now strong.
Rope perches were appreciated also and I've used cork perches. I've said before that a handicapped bird usually hasn't got the memo telling them they're handicapped and "can't do certain things"; they'll follow what they see other birds doing.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:jillone: :thankyou: You could call him Ash/e or maybe Petit. Or Guapo/Guapito (Handsome) Chiquito (Little One) or Corazon (heart/love). Angel also came to mind since it stays the same in English & Spanish. :wink2:
I don´t like gender specific names, especially as I´m not sure he´s a he, I´d feel bad to name a bird wrong, like call a girl Henry or somethng you know haha. So, guapo, chiquito are no no´s. I named him a few days ago when we concretely decided he was staying. Se llama Adelie :) I updated my written signature already. It is a species of peguin, small but fearless. It was perfect :D
All of my birds names are pronounced the same in Eng and Spa to make it easier for everyone. Apart from Jaime, but my boyfriend has learned how to say his name the English way. Jacob my dog, I had before I got with my boyfriend so he had to learn how to say that the English way.

My boyfriend still can´t say my name properly but at least he manages the birds and the dog :blink:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
:heart: :heart: The main thing about this thread is that your little Adelie knows he/she is loved no matter what. :heart2: :heart2:

@Zara How is your name pronounced correctly? I was named Sandra and my brother Robert because my mother stated that our names would pretty much stay the same no matter what country we lived in.

Last edited: