• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do I clip Lemonpie or not?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
So long story short, my cockatiel Lemonpie still has no tail feathers and he's began molting his wing feathers. I don't know if having his flight feathers might hurt him trying to fly, or help him be less clumsy. He came clipped and I want him to fly, but I'm not sure if it's safe without no tail feathers.
I meant to put do, not so on the title:)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Would you like your title altered?

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
If his wings are molting, that's a good sign that his tail feathers will be growing in soon.
I really don't want to clip him, I'm just afraid that he will be flying with absolute no control before his tail feathers come in
Would you like your title altered?
Yes please, the title sounds sounds a little rude lol. Thank you so much!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The theme in many of my suggestions is to figure out if there's an actual problem before deciding on (potentially unnecessary) solutions to deal with it.

You may find that your worry about safety doesn't manifest into a problem, or Lemonpie figures things out on his own without your intervention.

I think people often choose a path simply to create certainty, even if the certain path isn't their ideal.

TL;DR - "I want him to fly", so don't clip.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Pretty sure clipping would just make him less capable and safe again so I would not clip your bird.
His tail feathers are very likely to start growing in at a similar time to the flights if he is moulting and many birds do actually fly quite well with damaged or no tails. The more you alter your birds wings the longer it will take him to learn how to fly and the more often he will break or damage tail feathers- it is a bit of a catch 22.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I see you've already made a decision, but I'm dropping this here for others who may stumble into this thread...

You don't get better at something by not doing it.

... not sure where I read that originally, but it fits this situation (and many others).

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
has no tail feathers and he's began molting his wing feathers. I don't know if having his flight feathers might hurt him trying to fly
When moulting your bird will only moult a couple of feathers at a time so they are able to keep flying. They won´t drop all of the flight feathers at once.

My Jaime pulls his tail out, and he can fly perfectly fine with or without it, even when moulting.