• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do Grey parrots regonize there owners?

RealDeal

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Ty
Just wondering if they are smart enough to kno there main care givers?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Definitely!!! They can even tell when you aren't feeling well or need help. Don't underestimate their intelligence, they're like flying five year olds!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Of course! All parrots do (and that includes the teeny ones like parrotlets and budgies). Why wouldn't they?

Heck, I don't think I've ever had a pet of any species (even my very dumbest dog, who was sweet but just as dense as a black hole) who didn't know all the members of the household as well as regular guests.

I've only had birds and mammals, but my sister's snake knows his family, and I've heard fish can have favorite people, too.

Can't have a favorite if you don't know who's who, right?

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had a guest stay with us for several months last year. My Linnie is a little hand shy and this guest constantly showed her hands, touching the cage and gently putting her finger in, pointing at her. All very sweet, but my Gigi didn't like it. Anyway many months later I was scrolling through my photos as I do often for the birds. Gigi saw our handsy friend and shrieked and flew away. So yeah, they know us, all of us. :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, absolutely. My partner uncovers Leia, my pionus, in the morning and they have a little morning greeting ritual that involves lots of wing/arm stretches at each other. I'm encouraging them to form a relationship that isn't mediated by me, so I like to give them space and time to form their own routines. When I go in the room an hour or so later, Leia greets me with a special excited warble. She recognises members of my family and will sometimes go to them.

Goldfish will come to recognise their caregivers. I think most animals will learn who feeds them. Given that Greys' intelligence is on par with a toddler's, never doubt that they know who you are - and are aware of everything you do around them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They certainly do. As mentioned above... even goldfish know who feeds and cares for them, my fish only come to the surface at the edge of the pond if it’s me that goes to feed them, anyone else feeds them and they hang back in the middle of the pond deeper down. Birds are much more intelligent than fish so they definitely recognise different people and also have different relationships or behaviours fir each person they know.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There have been numerous scientific experiments which have proven, time after time, that avians are capable of recognizing individuals among their own kind, humans and other mammals. The evidence is not all anecdotal.