• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do(es) your bird(s) think they are smarter than you?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
On Sundays, I scrub down Bella's cage. Normally when I am home, she is either on top of her cage or on me. This past Sunday, she stayed in her cage and every time I tried to get her out, she tried to bite me. And when I finally got her out, I realized that she thought that if she stayed in her cage, I couldn't clean it. And wouldn't you know it, after I cleaned her cage, she was back to her normal self. Do your birds try to outsmart you?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine managed to manipulate a friend to give her treats on demand. She rewarded my friend juuuuuuuust enough to keep the almonds flowing while not doing the thing that my friend was trying to get her to do. It was a masterclass in positive reinforcement.

My friend has a PhD. I am unconvinced that Leia isn't trying to get hers.

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Oh yeeaah.. I think any parront can confirm!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Constantly. For instance, when Elvis doesn't want to go to bed (which is almost always), I sometimes use this baseball hat he loves to play with to try to lure him into his cage. Well, of course, it took him no time to figure out what I was trying to do. But he still really wants the hat. So now when I hang the hat on a perch inside his cage, he stands on top of his cage and swings one of the toys hanging from the top of the cage to use it to knock the hat off the perch and out of the cage or at least close enough to the door where he can grab it without going into the cage. Yes, he's way smarter than me.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Normally I think we have a C- bird because she is tough to train, but that may make her the smartest of all!
My recent favorite is that after she learned to wave, she would just stand in her cage holding her foot up assuming someone would give her a walnut for it. :laugh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You win some. You lose some. It's a tie game at this point. :lol:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
My two have a favourite bed-time game where they double team me :highfive:. One will go in the cage to go to bed but the other will run up the side of the cage to be on top. As soon as I put the one on top in the cage, the other one pops out and runs to the top. And so we go...one bird in and one bird out until I can manage to get them both to bed. (I swear I hear the Benny Hill theme song playing in my head sometimes :lol:)
I have no doubt that they know what they are doing and that it is a highly coordinated effort.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Mine managed to manipulate a friend to give her treats on demand. She rewarded my friend juuuuuuuust enough to keep the almonds flowing while not doing the thing that my friend was trying to get her to do.
:rofl:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I love these stories. Keep them coming.