• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do doves stay around?

Jogging around the block
Just curious , if you were to put a dove in an outdoor aviary for it to get used to surroundings, get it used to having a place to get fed , release it and keep feeding it, would it stay?
(I'm not referring to white pigeons)

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I once rescued an injured pigeon with a broken wing. After several vet visits and some meds, she was ready to fly again! I let her go and she kept coming back every day after that (I put out food for her and a little nesting box). Bear in mind that this was a pigeon and wild as well! I was pleasantly surprised that she kept returning!
I think that if you keep offering food on a regular basis and a safe place to sleep anything is possible! You can’t guarantee, however, that it will return, but there’s a high(ish) chance!

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
I don't think a Dove would, but they should live free and go where they will and be with other Doves, there is no use to try and control it.

Feral Pigeons on the other hand may do, they have an excellent memory and are highly intelligent birds, and may even bring friends back.