• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

do deryan parakeets get on with other birds?

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
So i have 2 cockatiels and one indian ringneck. i want to know if a deryan will be able to get on with them. They all will have separate cages of course but they will all play in the same room as all my birds live in my bedroom.
I’ve had a quaker in the past who didn’t get on with other birds so i always like to be sure before i commit to anything

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on the individual bird and the dynamics of your particular flock. You can't make species-wide generalisations about this.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have them myself, but I always thought generally there's a good chance of asiatic parrots getting along with other asiatics, as in sharing a space, not a cage. But I always worry about bigger beaks and tiels. But as tka said, it's more the bird and flock dynamics- you can't say for sure.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I don't have them myself, but I always thought generally there's a good chance of asiatic parrots getting along with other asiatics, as in sharing a space, not a cage. But I always worry about bigger beaks and tiels. But as tka said, it's more the bird and flock dynamics- you can't say for sure.
Ok thank you! i’m thinking now i might go for a green cheek conure but i’m not sure and i’m going to do more research on the bird for me and my flock

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Have you considered a parrotlet?
I have thought of it but i’m not sure really. I quite like Linnes but i’ll look into parrotlets again

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Linnies would probably be okay. They are beautiful!

May I ask where in the world you are?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Helloooooo fellow English Hooman!

Are you north or south. I know of a breeder with all these sorts of birds you could go along and have a chat with when they reopen...

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Ok thank you! i’m thinking now i might go for a green cheek conure but i’m not sure and i’m going to do more research on the bird for me and my flock
Have you considered a parrotlet?
I have thought of it but i’m not sure really. I quite like Linnes but i’ll look into parrotlets again
Be careful about all of these birds. You have cockatiels, which are very dusty. Mixing those with new world birds could result in the death of one of the new world birds because of their dust sensitivity.

@Hankmacaw

Mantis64

Dont get a green cheek conure as people have stated about the dust from the cockateils will eventually kill the conure also if you want your birds to get along another astatic spieces would be best as they can communicate with each other and this means that there is a less chance of them fighting.