• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do conures get along with cockatiels?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I will say Tteok is such a spoiled brat, he’d be absolutely THRILLED to be a single bird. He’s not been around other cockatiels, but so far he’s not enjoyed either quakers or a cockatoo :roflmao:

I do think it’s possible to have a single bird, but a lot of it depends on a lot of variables: The bird in question, their bond to you, your ability of time commitment, space, whether they can entertain themselves if you’re not available…

So far, it sounds like you’re doing so incredibly well with her, even with her being a single bird. I’d say give it a year from now if anything - you’ll be well-settled in the apartment, have an idea of your schedule since you’ll be off campus, etc.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d say give it a year from now if anything - you’ll be well-settled in the apartment, have an idea of your schedule since you’ll be off campus, etc.
From my years of academic advising, I'd caution against this. My students often find that the first three to five years following graduation are some of the hardest and least predictable: they're either engaged in postgraduate training/study (e.g. for a Master's degree or teaching qualification) or they're trying to establish themselves in careers. Depending on the career, this can mean long and/or unpredictable hours, travel, working towards additional qualifications, hopping between jobs to build experience and similar.

It really is best to wait until you at least know what sort of field you want to go into and have a very realistic idea of what that will look like. Only then will you know how feasible it is to add to your flock.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
My lovebird pico is same as @Xoetix cockateil he would have been perfectly happy on his own yes I think he enjoys chatting bathing with his other lovebird friends but that’s about it he’s my cling on doesn’t care what others are doing happy to just be with me he’s a spoilt little bird he was on his own for 11/2 years his old owner thought he needed a friend but I can honestly hand on heart say he was totally happy and fine by himself

stop beating yourself up and over thinking you are doing amazing job with her

if you want another bird/parrot do it when you think it’s right for you and your situation I hate this saying especially when I was young but you really don’t know where life’s going to take you enjoy what you have now life really does go by in blink of an eye

macaronish

Hit the Road
From my years of academic advising, I'd caution against this. My students often find that the first three to five years following graduation are some of the hardest and least predictable: they're either engaged in postgraduate training/study (e.g. for a Master's degree or teaching qualification) or they're trying to establish themselves in careers. Depending on the career, this can mean long and/or unpredictable hours, travel, working towards additional qualifications, hopping between jobs to build experience and similar.

It really is best to wait until you at least know what sort of field you want to go into and have a very realistic idea of what that will look like. Only then will you know how feasible it is to add to your flock.
I'm doing a biology degree and plan to work in a field related to biomed. I'm interested in developing medical techniques and technologies. I've already done a 3 month internship in a lab related to this and loved it- speaking to the staff it also seemed like a good work life balance, at least at that company. Most of them did the data analysis part of the job as WFH and were only in during lab work, which isn't the entirety of the job, more like 40%.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's great that you know what you want to do and are finding out what it would be like to work in that area! The internship sounds like it really helped focus your thinking :)

Obviously I'm not your academic advisor and as such this is very general advice, but these are two points that I'd encourage you to think about if you're planning a career in industry.

- Do find out whether a MSc or PhD would make you a stronger candidate, and if it is, be prepared to move to an institution that aligns with your interests and offers a supportive environment.
- Get experience in different labs. All labs have a different culture, and getting experience in different ones helps you to identify the kind of environment you'd be happiest working in - or, conversely, what your dealbreakers are. Getting more experience will help you better compare different working environments and roles, and help solidify what kind of projects you want to work on. Experience in different labs also develops contacts in different places and it's always useful to know people!

Remember that things can change. A course you take next year might open up a whole new area of interest. A research paper you come across might lead you to a mentor. You might find that a professor for one of your future courses knows someone whose lab has an open position that they're looking to fill. Don't be so laser focused on one track that you miss out other experiences that may be equally or more rewarding :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It's great that you know what you want to do and are finding out what it would be like to work in that area! The internship sounds like it really helped focus your thinking :)

Obviously I'm not your academic advisor and as such this is very general advice, but these are two points that I'd encourage you to think about if you're planning a career in industry.

- Do find out whether a MSc or PhD would make you a stronger candidate, and if it is, be prepared to move to an institution that aligns with your interests and offers a supportive environment.
- Get experience in different labs. All labs have a different culture, and getting experience in different ones helps you to identify the kind of environment you'd be happiest working in - or, conversely, what your dealbreakers are. Getting more experience will help you better compare different working environments and roles, and help solidify what kind of projects you want to work on. Experience in different labs also develops contacts in different places and it's always useful to know people!

Remember that things can change. A course you take next year might open up a whole new area of interest. A research paper you come across might lead you to a mentor. You might find that a professor for one of your future courses knows someone whose lab has an open position that they're looking to fill. Don't be so laser focused on one track that you miss out other experiences that may be equally or more rewarding :)
I wish you were my daughter’s academic advisor :roflmao: Hers seemed… not very interested.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Whoops, I thought you had a conure and we’re looking for a friend for him! Then I would not recommend conures. I would look into Australian grass parrots. Perhaps a kakariki?
Just so you know.. Kakarikis are not Australian birds, they're from NZ and I am not so sure they are best kept with other species- I have heard of more failures when housing them with other species than I have heard of successes.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ooh I will research them, I don't know anything about Kakarikis. Maybe another cockatiel is my best shot lol. I will get a conure once I have the space for a bird room so I can keep multiple species separate :)
I would not house a Kakariki with a cockatiel, if you want a friend for your tiel I would look at another tiel- they speak the same language and have a better chance of being good company instead of just company or stressful company for each other.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Just so you know.. Kakarikis are not Australian birds, they're from NZ and I am not so sure they are best kept with other species- I have heard of more failures when housing them with other species than I have heard of successes.
Oh I am sorry, I knew that but my brain lumps them in with Australian birds somehow:shy: In the Netherlands lots of people keep them with other non-aggressive species, it does seems problems can arise when breeding season arrives though. Not saying they are non aggressive, those people might have gotten lucky with not-agressive birds, but it might be worth looking into.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh I am sorry, I knew that but my brain lumps them in with Australian birds somehow:shy: In the Netherlands lots of people keep them with other non-aggressive species, it does seems problems can arise when breeding season arrives though. Not saying they are non aggressive, those people might have gotten lucky with not-agressive birds, but it might be worth looking into.
No need to apologise - I only mentioned something as I have just recently seen a lot of people who seem to think NZ and Aus are the same country.