• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do Budgies Actually Sleep All Night?

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Took a 15 hours long video and time lapsed it to 35 mins then one min but youtube wont play the one min long one but heres the 35 min one

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
May be just me, but I can't see the video. All I see is a big black square. Ooooh tell us, tell us - DO they sleep all night?

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
It would seem that they move around slightly and itch themselves but they don't move from where they started until they start to wake up. Except for the little one that started in the top of the frame. He's a little insomniac...lol. Video played fine for me.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
It is playing for me now too - I loaded the page 3 times... I guess 3rd time was a charm!

It would seem that they move around slightly and itch themselves but they don't move from where they started until they start to wake up. Except for the little one that started in the top of the frame. He's a little insomniac...lol. Video played fine for me.

Ha ha - gotta have one in the bunch aye?

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
that mirror in the back reflected the one sleeping on the bars in the front pretty well lol he was preening to lol

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Love it - thanks for sharing! I always thought that when they slept, they put their heads into the wings. I've never seen my little one do that and I thought maybe she was still too timid to do it. But now I know at night when she hunches up, fluffs up and drops her head, she's sleeping.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Really cute, thank you for sharing.

Except for a twitch here and there they all seem to be resting pretty good. The second one on the perch really looks like he is in heavy sleep mode. My parakeets would always chatter to one another throughout the night.

Dorcas George

Breeze would put her head under her wing. Packer would just hunch down right next to her, head down. I haven’t been able to spy on Packer and Frost without disturbing them. Frost does get all puffy when he’s getting sleepy, but Packer not so much. Three times now, I’ve gotten up in the middle of the night and when passing the doorway to the dining room (with the cage) I’ve heard one cheep. Just one. Don’t know which bird is chirping and don’t know if it’s a cheep that says “Hey, is that you? Is it morning?” Or maybe, “It’s night. Be quiet, for crying out loud, and go back to bed.” Or a cheep in a dream. It’s always just one little cheep. In the morning Breeze used to chirp loudly which got Packer going. Now, with Frost, waking up is slow. Then nattering and warbling starts. It’s about 20 minutes before any cheeping or squawks!

Last edited:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
When I had to leave Sam at my daughter's when we went away for a few days, Sam stayed in my granddaughter's room. Apparently my daughter went in to my granddaughter's room one night to make sure her window was closed because she didn't want Sam to get cold and Sam woke up and squawked at her as if to say "Hey, it's nighttime, get to bed". lol. My daughter said to me..."Geez, got told off by the bird!!"...yep you did!

Dextine

Meeting neighbors
That's cool!

What camera do you use?
I want to film my lovies too.

Im unable to have them sleep in a seperate room and am constantly wondering if they sleep with both eyes closed etc etc.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran