• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do birds prefer certain smells?

cheekypie

Walking the driveway
“Great! Another weird random question about birds again” you might be thinking. Y’all are probably getting annoyed with me LOL. Onto the question, can birds have a preference for scents/smells? I thought about this because when put on my rose scented lip gloss, Cheeks gets really close to my lips and try’s to preen them, but I don’t let him because I don’t want him to ingest that stuff.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My little ones try to preen my lip without any product on them so it´s hard to tell. If your gloss has a tint, that may draw extra attention - I remember Sydney would stare at me when I would come home from work when he was younger (We had to wear red lipstick). As for scent I really don´t know.
I do the cobra with my birds when they wanna preen my lips, lashes etc Even without makeup/gloss.

cheekypie

Walking the driveway
You shouldn't use anything scented around birds.
I know that, the gloss isn’t strong at all for it to actually harm them. You have to get really close to smell it and the scent is caused by a rose oil I believe

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Birds have little ability to smell. They have about 1/3 as many sensor cells as humans.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know that, the gloss isn’t strong at all for it to actually harm them. You have to get really close to smell it and the scent is caused by a rose oil I believe
The strength of smell doesn’t necessarily correlate with how harmful it is. Some deadly chemicals and/or gases have little to no scent. (The scent of your gloss doesn’t necessarily pose a threat, just saying.)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep many of the most dangerous airborne contaminants usually have little to no odor!

Birds have very well developed eyesight and hearing, but their sense of smell and taste are not their strong suits. Nature tries to keep it balanced ;)

I'm sure like everything else they have their preferences, but I would think the attraction is how your lips look different

Last edited:

cheekypie

Walking the driveway
Yep many of the most dangerous airborne contaminants usually have little to no odor!

Birds have very well developed eyesight and hearing, but their sense of smell and taste are not their strong suits. Nature tries to keep it balanced ;)

I'm sure like everything else they have their preferences, but I would think the attraction is how your lips look different
Probably, my lips are so much shinier so that might be it

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depending on bird, vultures have an excellent sens of smell.
This is very true. I should have specified parrots in my post :)