• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do birds have facial expressions?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wish I could speak subtle bird to Blu sometimes :lol:

Sorry for all my rambling tonight and for some of my posts not being worded that well. I am spewing my thoughts as they come :wacky:

That's my everyday :lol: You are all good ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So here are some of Ripley. I don't know if anyone else sees these expressions or not :lol: I feel like each bird has their own quirks and you just sort of have to live them to learn them!

Cautious
IMG_20190621_173017_356.jpg

Flirty

IMG_20190517_113644_890.jpg

Friendly/Inviting
IMG_20190330_201708_422.jpg

Excited
IMG_20190311_130417_041.jpg

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
I could,too,feel their thoughts,especially in Umbrella and Crown.I'll now when they want to shower just by their looks instead of them telling me or know if they wanna go out and have some fun and wants food.This thread really brings fond memories of them back to me.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just went through all of my pictures in my phone and though most looked neutral I think I found some examples of expressions

This is busting with love
20170612_214743.jpg

This is dignified wet rat
20190504_125620.jpg

This is intellectual wet
chicken

20180427_093633.jpg

This is how he looks at me when is being super sweet and loving
20180110_095845.jpg

This is curiosity
20180107_081907.jpg

This is look of a kid who wants icecream for dinner
20181002_211722.jpg

This is embarrassment over having a pic with a floofie
20180904_221507.jpg

And as cute as this is - this is anger and rage lol
20190526_210922.jpg

Edited to add- I'm anthromorphizing some of these for fun because I've realized I haven't really captured on camera all of his expressions

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I could,too,feel their thoughts,especially in Umbrella and Crown.I'll now when they want to shower just by their looks instead of them telling me or know if they wanna go out and have some fun and wants food.This thread really brings fond memories of them back to me.
That's a very deep connection! I can't tell if Blu wants a bath until he gets floofy and waddles over to his water dish:joyful:
Again, I'm so sorry for your losses .I'm glad you're still on AA with us! :heart:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Of course they have expressions. The eyes and vocals. They look into your eyes and say soft words or even whisper to you. Then body language, they use it to express themselves.
IMG_20190528_154756.jpg
IMG_20190424_104935.jpg

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I just went through all of my pictures in my phone and though most looked neutral I think I found some examples of expressions

This is busting with love
View attachment 312869

This is dignified wet rat
View attachment 312870

This is intellectual wet
chicken

View attachment 312875

This is how he looks at me when is being super sweet and loving
View attachment 312876

This is curiosity
View attachment 312877

This is look of a kid who wants icecream for dinner
View attachment 312878

This is embarrassment over having a pic with a floofie
View attachment 312879

View attachment 312880

Edited to add- I'm anthromorphizing some of these for fun because I've realized I haven't really captured on camera all of his expressions
Despite all those cute pictures,the one that really caught my eye was the good cage set ups...:D

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Of course they have expressions. The eyes and vocals. They look into your eyes and say soft words or even whisper to you. Then body language, they use it to express themselves.
View attachment 312887
View attachment 312888
Poppers is such a beauty! I'm sorry but I'm not sure if Poppers is a male or female but those big beautiful eyes are stunning and I'm sure they speak volumes:xflove:

Despite all those cute pictures,the one that really caught my eye was the good cage set ups...:D
Thank you so much! It's a work in progress. :)

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I don't think he believes me, but I have told George since about day one ( ok, a little after that) that TD has many distinct expressions. I think it's more in the tilt of the head and in the eyes, though I swear TD can straighten the little curve on the right side of his beak. He does so when I've done something particularly stupid or if he's angry. I'll post some pics when I'm using my phone. My sd card is in my phone!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There's also a lot of expression in the way they hold their heads. That sideways glance, the inquisitive tilt. Combine that with the eyes you have your thousand words.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
.... I´m sure my dog only have 5 :lol: Maybe he has to work harder because of all his wrinkles and extra skin on his face.... :chin:
:coffeescreen: Poor Jacob! :laughin:
But those 5 are really strong from lifting those wrinkles. :smuggrin:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I don't think he believes me, but I have told George since about day one ( ok, a little after that) that TD has many distinct expressions. I think it's more in the tilt of the head and in the eyes, though I swear TD can straighten the little curve on the right side of his beak. He does so when I've done something particularly stupid or if he's angry. I'll post some pics when I'm using my phone. My sd card is in my phone!
There's also a lot of expression in the way they hold their heads. That sideways glance, the inquisitive tilt. Combine that with the eyes you have your thousand words.
Ahh, yes! The head tilt for sure!

.... I´m sure my dog only have 5 :lol: Maybe he has to work harder because of all his wrinkles and extra skin on his face.... :chin:
:coffeescreen: Poor Jacob! :laughin:
But those 5 are really strong from lifting those wrinkles. :smuggrin:
:rofl:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I seem to have missed half this thread this morning when I commented. Strange.

@Mizzely Great pictures! You can really see the slight differences between each expression. And Ripley is such a cutie - the edging on his wing feathers is beautiful❤

Poppers is such a beauty! I'm sorry but I'm not sure if Poppers is a male or female
She´s female ;)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I believe they try.... I also believe the vocal expression can say a lot in their expression.
My grey and zon will both laugh if I do something dumb, smack my toe on chair or something, they find hilarious. Then they mutter back and forth to each other, as if saying something, then
Laugh some more!
Like they're saying, ( poppers)" isn't that the clumsiest human you ever done saw??? " (greyson) " yeea, goofy nut, funny human" ..and both laugh...
I need to study up on my parrot language to know what they are saying behind my back....
Lol.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
And add in the position of a tiel's crest - can guess their mood and expressions also!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

View attachment 312880

Oh my goodness! that anger face! Just the cutest.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Awww, can you find a pic of that? I believe you, ofcourse! Just trying to find a reason to get you to post more pics of your adorable birds! ;)

I thought of hys and their smile when I started this thread but do they ever look like they're not smiling?
Awww thanks, Diane! Here's a comprehensive range of Ollie's emotions...