• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do birds get littermate syndrome like dogs?

Seulregi

Meeting neighbors
i guess a More appropriate name for it would be like clutch or nest mate syndrome but I’m not sure if it’s a thing.

im currently hand raising 2 conures and have plans to possibly keep them both, they will either live in a large aviary with their parents or a seperate aviary together when they are old enough, however I’m just wondering if this can cause them to become unhealthily attached to one another Like dogs can when raised with siblings? I’m thinking not but i thought I’d just double check. :)

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes they can strongly bond. If female and male they may even mate, which you do not want.
Unhealthy attachment? I doubt they're being siblings would cause problems there.

Seulregi

Meeting neighbors
Yes they can strongly bond. If female and male they may even mate, which you do not want.
Unhealthy attachment? I doubt they're being siblings would cause problems there.
awesome thanks for that, I do know they can strongly bond but I was worried they could get the same syndrome dogs do, I will take every precaution if they are opposite genders,

again thanks for the help :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have two bonded lovebirds that are siblings. They mate, though I vow to never allow them to breed - I have always had dummy eggs on hand to switch out thier eggs.

Seulregi

Meeting neighbors
I have two bonded lovebirds that are siblings. They mate, though I vow to never allow them to breed - I have always had dummy eggs on hand to switch out thier eggs.
I think if it comes down to them being male in female I will keep them in seperate aviaries, next to each other, during the breeding season. I don’t want to encourage egg laying or anything if one of them turns out to be a female.

but I do really like the idea of giving them dummy eggs if that needs to happen. Thanks for your help! :)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I think if it comes down to them being male in female I will keep them in seperate aviaries, next to each other, during the breeding season. I don’t want to encourage egg laying or anything if one of them turns out to be a female.

but I do really like the idea of giving them dummy eggs if that needs to happen. Thanks for your help! :)
Mating doesn't necessarily mean eggs, and if they do end up that bonded separation will just be stressful. Just don't provide them with a nesting box or other nest-like arrangements and you're really no more or less likely to see eggs than you would be with a single female.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
but I do really like the idea of giving them dummy eggs
Dummy eggs are very handy for pairs and for single hens.

They can live together and not have to be separated as long as you are monitoring, and checking for any eggs so you can switch them out (either boil or with a dummy).
My pair will mate quite often, but don´t always lay. Though she laid a couple of eggs just this last week actually, so she´s now brooding her little dummy eggs on the cage floor and her brother is doting on her. I wouldn´t split them up because they pace and get really stressed out when apart (he needed meds earlier this year and had to be housed separately and it was just awful not letting them be together)

I don’t want to encourage egg laying or anything if one of them turns out to be a female.
That is very wise. Like Feather said, not providing boxes, no nest like beds, nooks, will help reduce laying.