• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do birds get jealous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
At the moment Izzy is my only bird, and she is my baby. If I'm home, it's her and I doing everything together.

I have decided what my next bird will be. I am going to wait until the spring probably. I want to let Izzy have me to herself until her first hatchday in January at least.

I'm just wondering how she will react to another baby coming into the house. I know every bird will react different, but for those of you with multiple birds...do they show jealousy?

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
do they show jealousy?
Yes they can get VERY upset, every single one of my guys show jealousy in thier own way. Worst case is the attacking each other, and they are not kidding about it.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It easiest to socialize your current bird to anothe rbird if your current bird is a baby.

Once they get into their own persoanlity and get full of themselves, its harder, epsecially as they start to mature, get pre-adolescent hormones, and become truly indepdent and then hormones.

I would say it is def. easier for a younger bird to get used to a new bird, and possibly even become friends, than if they were adult/adolescents.

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
When Kai and Linus (my family's WBC, he lives with my parents) are together when I visit, they do get jealous of each other, but that usually cumulates in one flying to where we have the other, no attacking thankfully.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky gets jealous of me with other humans. But he doesn't get aggressive or anything, he will just fly on my head to be part of the action. He does this when my niece and nephew are over and they come give me hugs. Sometimes he will also get jealous of my stuffed animals lol.

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Some birds are more prone to showing those emotions than others. We have some that are & some that aren't. If they are well socialized and independent, you won't notice it as much. They will be more accepting.

I always recommend that the decision to get another bird should be b/c you (the person) want another bird. There is always a chance that your 2 (or more) birds won't get along. We have 3 that do not get along & making that work is sometimes challenging.

Out of our 2 Umbrellas (Woody & Zoe) and Fugllen (gold cap conure) we've had to get everyone in a routine to learn who gets what time when. The eventually learned to become more tolerant and accepting of the other's time w/ us, individually or together.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Yes they show me jealosy in different ways.
Leroy if really upset will grab a beakful of her neck feathers and rip them out.
Scooby will try to bore a hole into my forehead while sitting on my head.
Rambo has a full blown shouting match.
jay will attack from a height and mean it.
Chaz will burst your ear drums with such a racket I often think he could win a war on his own with it!:rofl:

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Remy was very jealous of Lola when she first came. And she will bite my hand (not hard) and grumble at me if I ask her to step up while Remy is on my other hand or shoulder.
The biggest thing is that Remy competes for my attention more since Lola came along. Not a bad thing, because he was a bit complacent before, a leeetle too spoiled from geting all mommy's attention, LOL

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
My cockatiels get jealous if I am playing/talking to Sammy and my conures start talking when I am snuggling Sammy, LOL!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Yes, birds can become very jealous of each other. My one and only bite to the face was from my sun conure a few weeks or so after he came home, he did not like my Mealy one bit and I made the mistake of getting to close to him with my sun on my shoulder one evening and got a bite on my cheek from it.

Wesley is my most jealous bird, and will often reach out and try to grab hold of me if I am paying attention to another bird, or even try to go after that bird if she can. (This is why when the other guys are out she is in a totally different room.)

Birdzee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maddie
My daughter has a Sun Conure and if I hold her Newbie will try to attack her..
It appears to be jealousy to me BUT???

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
In one word - YES! Parrots can exhibit emotions that can only be described as jealousy. This can manifest in several different ways including aggression towards the object of jealousy or the owner. It's nearly impossible to predict if a parrot will become jealous of another bird unless there's a history of this kind of reaction. If in doubt, exercise a lot of caution.

ThatDarnBird

Harry is very jealous of Sam, she's the cuddler, but not of the other birds. He tries to get between us and is very insistant that I give him kisses. He jumps on my shoulder, screaches and sometimes bites. His behavior is a little better if my husband handles him on a regular basis, it helps him be less fixated on me.

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Angel is very jealous of anything in the house. She'll say bye bye when I'm on my cell phone. Or try to hold the red button down (off button that is). She starts kissing me if I start to talk while anyone else is in the room with her. She'll say bye bye or start screaming at other people if they start to talk to me and she's in the room. If she thinks I'm paying attention to the TV and not her, she'll start screaming at it or try and pinch my ear with her beak. So something to get my attention.

There are some good moments as well. I do love her so much.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds ARE jealous typically, don't know any that are not. They exhibit that differently and it can be horrible in a home and oftentimes triggers rehoming or worse yet, health and safety issues for the birds and even us humans as others have posted here. In any situation of adding additional birds there is a lengthy transition process. It takes constant supervision and observation of the birds behavior and even then there is no guarantee there will not be bird safety issues. We have our birds flighted so they can escape if needed which poses another safety concern and attention of closed doors and safe landing places set for familarity. In our home my husband, Winged Victory and I love and care for our birds equally and that is a plus, it is huge amount of time and work.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I don't think that Kiwi has ever forgiven us for bringing the other birds into the house, and its been almost 10 years.:rofl:

Jealousy worked in our favor in one respect. Even though we finished Strawberry's hand feeding she was a very aloof and hands off bird. As she watched Goofy getting petted all the time she decided she wanted in on it and now wants almost as much attention as Goofy. Well maybe not as much but she has become a lot friendlier.

One thing they are all jealous of if they know one is out of their cage and they are not. Boy do they all hate that. Goofy is very vocal is Strawberry is out and she is not. Since their cages are next to each other it is kind of hard to hide that fact.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
INSANELY jealous. I dare anyone to try and kiss my wife if Tika is around. :(

Out of our 2 Umbrellas (Woody & Zoe) and Fugllen (gold cap conure) we've had to get everyone in a routine to learn who gets what time when. The eventually learned to become more tolerant and accepting of the other's time w/ us, individually or together.
That's how it works around here too.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, very jealous! Max will often throw an absolute hissy fit if I pet Elvis for very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.