• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do birds apologize or am I just crazy?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So lately Phoenix has become a bit of a biter, so I've been "training" him to stop by acting scared and extremely hurt every time he bites me. I always put him down as soon as he bites me, and put my face in my hands, and I see him always watching me when I do it, then after awhile he calmly waddles up to me and headbutts my face. It's so cute, I can't help but wonder if that's his way of apologizing? I could just be insane though that'd make sense too :rofl:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think they know much more than given credit for. Still they can be such pests some times.
Such I say while Penny gives me her wailing cry. Still they watch us & imitate us even if they don;t know how we feel they try in their own way. Just a part of life to be cognizant of others & even with our differences we must strive to live together in harmony.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
That may well be Phoenix's way of saying "please forgive me." My two parrots don't think apologies are necessary. When Ralph the QP bites me I tell him he should apologize and he usually just bites me again. Scooter the CAG turns her back to me when I ask for an apology. Maybe they're telling me that I deserved to get bit. :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They for sure can. :)

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
I've seen Essie both give and receive.

- She nips a little too hard at my wife and she gives an "owie" sound and we've trained her (isolation soon to follow) that's bad. Her demeanor changes -- quiet, sulky and cautious. My wife asks her for a kiss and she gives one and she returns to her chipper self.

- If my wife (because I would never do THAT :o:) bullies poor Essie into doing something and she starts getting fussy, She can offer her a kiss (man, I'm glad she doesn't bite hard) and if she is in a forgiving mood, she'll kiss, makeup, and all is well again.

We're blessed she's got a sweet disposition, but it's clear to us her feelings can get hurt, she can recognize our feelings getting hurt, and she's learned at least on the toddler level how to make amends and get back on track.

Can't see any reason why Phoenix couldn't do the same.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Hank (now deceased), who was Mr. Personality used to say "Hank a good bird", but he would only say it when he had gotten in trouble and I had given him a stern talking to. That was his apology and I sure didn't get one for every one of his transgressions - there were many.

BirdWorld

You're not crazy! While that has never happened to me, I have no doubt that they're smart enough. I observe my budgies a lot and they do seem way cleverer than we give them credit for. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Definitely they do.

I confess sadly that Rio caique was screaming one day, she is inches from my desk and that particular day I'd had it. On a deadline, couldn't focus...
I yelled "Would you STOP???"

She bowed her head and mumbled. It was a long mumble. I think it was an apology.

(You don't have to beat me up for this. I've done plenty. :( )

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret will bark, scream, crow noise, etc. and we leave the room.

Silence comes when she realizes we're gone.

Then you hear a gentle whistle...... (we reward the quiet or nice noise and return).

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
My caique will say "sorry" when I tell her she's being bad. I also met a Hahns macaw named Oliver who would bite you and then yell "Don't bite, Oliver! I'm sorry."

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They're definitely smart enough to apologize, but mine don't. Marzipan does tell me what for a lot though, while Pistachio looks on approvingly.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
It's really amazing actually, the way they interact with us and how we learn to communicate with each other. My conure sometimes gets excited and will bite anything near, including recently my lip. It was sooo painful! I had tears in my eyes! He didn't apologize but I definitely could tell he knew he hurt me.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
They absolutely know more than we give them credit for...Bowser, my macaw, knows when I’m sad and is extra sweet those days, asking for kisses when he normally doesn’t like them. On the other hand when he’s feeling cranky, he makes that clear too. For example, I once moved our fish tank around to a new side of the room, and walked into the room carrying Bowser on my arm. I forgot he hadn’t seen the change yet and no one hates change more than him. I went to put him down next to the tank and he bit me ever so slowly. Opened his beak, put a chunk of my arm in it and squeezed gently...not even enough to leave a mark. But he stayed there with his beak clenched down for a solid minute while I said sorry, didn’t mean to freak you out with a “new” fish tank. He maintained eye contact the whole time like he was making sure I understood my mistake lol. Then he released his bite and let me put him down on the other side of the room. Hasn’t happened again and it was clear there was a message there (ie, next time it’ll be a real bite :hilarious:) lol.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
It’s funny how people that don’t own animals think only humans have emotions and can feel sorry. But wait, humans Are animals(we aren’t plants after all), which means that animals in general have feelings. My horse apologizes when she hurts me by accident. If it’s not an accident she doesn’t apologize, she thinks she’s in the right some times.
Animals have different ‘mental ages’ for most horses it’s between 5-7 human years old. Which means they know better but they can still be brats! I’m not sure the mental age comparison for birds, but even budgies don’t act like a toddler.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don’t know if I’d call it so much an apology cos to me it comes across more like sucking up.
If I grump at Burt for something he did (like pinch me for his amusement), within a few seconds he’s snuggling in and being all cute, soft and sweet. I guess I could take it as an apology but I see it more as damage control or manipulation cos I’m usually busy trying to rub the discomfort of a bruise away lmao

Gigibirds

Definitely not crazy! My bird had a chirp for thank you, and she tries to trick me into thinking she wants scritches and that she’s just going to be the sweetest bird in the world so I won’t put her back in her cage!! And she’s extra sweet to me when I’m sad.... I’ll bet Phoenix is apologizing!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
You're not crazy!

That's so sweet.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
They absolutely know more than we give them credit for...Bowser, my macaw, knows when I’m sad and is extra sweet those days, asking for kisses when he normally doesn’t like them. On the other hand when he’s feeling cranky, he makes that clear too. For example, I once moved our fish tank around to a new side of the room, and walked into the room carrying Bowser on my arm. I forgot he hadn’t seen the change yet and no one hates change more than him. I went to put him down next to the tank and he bit me ever so slowly. Opened his beak, put a chunk of my arm in it and squeezed gently...not even enough to leave a mark. But he stayed there with his beak clenched down for a solid minute while I said sorry, didn’t mean to freak you out with a “new” fish tank. He maintained eye contact the whole time like he was making sure I understood my mistake lol. Then he released his bite and let me put him down on the other side of the room. Hasn’t happened again and it was clear there was a message there (ie, next time it’ll be a real bite :hilarious:) lol.
good heavens, that is a wow moment, they have a mind of thier own that's FOR SURE. i'd JUST told my hubby, "Marley (green cheek conure) is in a mood today, be careful" i just sat down to eat lunch, offered him my plate on the bed, he flew up to my shoulder and bit my FACE, tore my skin off! i'm tryingggg to calm myself. he knew what he did cuz he went right in his cage. I put some of my lunch in his dish, and locked him in. tonight at exactly 12 hours after I uncovered him, he is going to get the cage covered, lights out, tv off! I often think he doesnt get enough sleep bcuz my husband is always putting on the tv when he wakes up at 2AM to use the bathroom. we have TWO wireless headsets, but no, he has to turn the darn volume on