• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do any of you have a bird with PDD and other birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
It is true that heavy metal poisoning doesn't always show up on an Xray. However, medium to larger birds generally do fine with chelation treatment if metal toxicity is suspected. If there is any reason to think a bird might have it, it's probably just best to treat for it.

I have a bird with AVB. There is a lot of misinformation about this virus on the internet, or the information is out of date. My vet was a researcher on this disease at the University of Tennessee for many years and she assures me my other birds will not catch it. It is a very unstable virus that lives outside the body for a very short amount of time. So short, they first were calling it a "ghost virus". They would only see it right when the bird made a fresh poop and then seconds later it was gone. At this time they think the only form of transmission is from hen to egg. It is interesting to note that the AVB virus in wild bird populations remains a steady 30-40%, which is about the same as in mammals that have it as well. If this really were a dangerously contagious virus, it would go through the wild bird populations like crazy, and it doesn't. Not all birds with AVB develop PDD.

My bird does have some neurological problems from it and had ataxic seizures. At this time we have decided to treat her with Celebrex from the end of September until late spring each year to prevent as many problems as possible. As long as she was on the Celebrex this past winter/spring she did not have the seizures, so hopefully this remains true. I just adopted her in January and her previous owners did not realize she had AVB, so my experience so far is only a few months time.

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
After reading this thread many times, I would like to ask some questions, if you all please. What does Celebrex do that say Metacam does not? How long should Metacam be given before another drug is introduced? When the neurological systems of PDD appear, is it all at once, say just part of a foot, or is the whole foot or left side? You see, Tobie has been diagnosed with PDD, but as all have said the disease seems to be a "catch all" diagnosis from many a vet. I am not sure I believe he has the disease, because the only symptom I see is seeds in the droppings. It could also be a slow GI. Since he has been on Metacam for about a month the seeds in his droppings are becoming smaller. Any thoughts??????????????

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
After reading this thread many times, I would like to ask some questions, if you all please. What does Celebrex do that say Metacam does not? How long should Metacam be given before another drug is introduced? When the neurological systems of PDD appear, is it all at once, say just part of a foot, or is the whole foot or left side? You see, Tobie has been diagnosed with PDD, but as all have said the disease seems to be a "catch all" diagnosis from many a vet. I am not sure I believe he has the disease, because the only symptom I see is seeds in the droppings. It could also be a slow GI. Since he has been on Metacam for about a month the seeds in his droppings are becoming smaller. Any thoughts??????????????
Metacam used to be the treatment for AVB/PDD, but apparently Celebrex is considered better now. I did have a conversation with my vet about this after talking with someone else whose bird was diagnosed with AVB and her vet used Metacam.

My vet was willing to talk to her or her vet at that time, and I'm sure would do the same for you. If you would like, PM me and I will give you her contact info. She still has many researcher friends at UT and is very up to date on the info.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Toxic metal or calcium deficiency can also cause the symptoms she is having. Have you had her calcium levels checked as well as vit. D which helps her absorb the calcium.

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Thank you, thank you roxynoodle, I shall pm you...................No tests for metal or calcium deficiency were done. Tobie is not a chewer, so I never thought to ask. His best friend toys are his mirror and loves wood clothes pins. Is this a blood test, parrotluv?

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Just an FYI, long term use of Metacam can cause Kidney damage. It's mainly recommended for short term use. Celebrex doesn't seem to have as many side effects.

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Thank you, Allison. I heard liver damage also.:eek:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Thank you, thank you roxynoodle, I shall pm you...................No tests for metal or calcium deficiency were done. Tobie is not a chewer, so I never thought to ask. His best friend toys are his mirror and loves wood clothes pins. Is this a blood test, parrotluv?
Yes, calcium levels are easy to check in a blood test and should be done. Vitamin D is needed to process calcium. Are you using full spectrum lighting or able to get your bird outside in the sun?

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Unfortunately, not able to get this little one outside let alone get him to see a vet without help.:( He is fine in the bird room, anything other than that he goes into full panic mode. I had to get a friend to drive while I concentrated only on him for the vet visit. Now full spectrum lighting, I could definitely look into. Thanks...........................

Status
Not open for further replies.