• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do all Macaws do this?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sometimes Burt makes this really loud clicking noise with his beak over and over. It sounds pretty much the same as when he is working on cracking a macadamia nut.
The loud cracks/clicks change to the odd quieter pop type of sound sometimes too but it’s mostly loud cracking/clicking sounds.
He makes these sounds as often as he beak grinds and also sometimes does both in the same chilling out session.
Is this normal?
Do other macaws do this too?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That sounds so cute!
He hums sometimes too and even though he doesn’t have the most pleasant humming voice, I just love listening to him. Sometimes he hums and waits for me to hum a little then he has a turn and we repeat the turn taking usually till he dozes off :heart:
I’m just really curious about the LOUD clicking though lol.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, not all macaws snap their beak but some do.

While most people think of beak grinding as a content sleepy sound it actually has a purpose. Parrots beaks are constantly growing and beak grinding is a means to file the inside. The inside being the most important part because that needs to function for eating.

Having Burt from a baby I'm sure you have been curious enough to inspect the inside of his mouth. Inside the upper beak, that ridge is what he is clicking against. He is dragging his lower beak down that ridge to make it smooth. Sometimes snap/click sounds can also be heard when they file the bottom beak side to side.... especially if there is a chip or slight overgrowth. :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Coco sure trusts and loves you to pretty much happily allow that. he's like whatever mom, can I feel your fingers while you play:xflove:

If I ever tried that with lurch I'd probably would had my fingers shortened quite a bit and I don't know what Dobby would do but he does like beaking and hanging onto a finger while he gets scritches. Pionus of course have the ridges inside too and happily grind their beaks, even Beeper the tiny house finch we raised did it... SKRITCH SKRITCH SKRITCH.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol, I’m so glad you don’t think it’s weird that I would be snooping inside Burt’s beak and just kind of expected it @Macawnutz! I truly am fascinated by the inside of Burt’s beak. :D
Thanks for the conformation that it’s nothing to worry about.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Coco sure trusts and loves you to pretty much happily allow that. She's like whatever mom, can I feel your fingers while you play:xflove:

If I ever tried that with lurch I'd probably would had my fingers shortened quite a bit and I don't know what Dobby would do but he does like beaking and hanging onto a finger while he gets scritches. Pionus of course have the ridges inside too and happily grind their beaks, even Beeper the tiny house finch we raised did it... SKRITCH SKRITCH SKRITCH.

Oh no... Coco could care less what I do to him. ;) As long as I'm touching him he is happy. I was going to do a macaw but my choices were Maui, Sam, Sakie or Volar.... nope!

Lol, I’m so glad you don’t think it’s weird that I would be snooping inside Burt’s beak and just kind of expected it @Macawnutz! I truly am fascinated by the inside of Burt’s beak. :D
Thanks for the conformation that it’s nothing to worry about.

I love their beaks and mouths! I'm always sticking my fingers in there. ;)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Cockatoo beaks have smaller ridges but here ya go. ;)

Coco seems to be enjoying that. :lol: Must be like you picking a certain birdie's nose.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Is this similar to the breathy beak clicking sound Dexter makes? Puffin makes it too when she's on me. He'll make sounds sorta similar to cockatiel hissing, but over and over, like an exhale, all while clicking his beak.

Now I've got to get it on video to prove I'm not crazy.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Coco seems to be enjoying that. :lol: Must be like you picking a certain birdie's nose.

I'm really hands on. ;) Can't keep my hands to myself with them.

Is this similar to the breathy beak clicking sound Dexter makes? Puffin makes it too when she's on me. He'll make sounds sorta similar to cockatiel hissing, but over and over, like an exhale, all while clicking his beak.

Now I've got to get it on video to prove I'm not crazy.

Nothing about this sound has anything to do with breathing or produced sound. I'd have to see yours.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG Sarah, that was awesome. I love your relationship with Coco. Just wonderful.

Sounds like Burt clicking is perfectly normal!

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Not all do it but some can of course. None of mine happen to do this, just the general content and maintenance check of beak grinding.
The snap is just him rubbing and making that snap from the lower mandible striking/sliding over the ridge inside the upper mandible.
Enjoy...if the sound doesn't bother you. You can put it on cue and make a cute trick out of it if you like, haha.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not all do it but some can of course. None of mine happen to do this, just the general content and maintenance check of beak grinding.
The snap is just him rubbing and making that snap from the lower mandible striking/sliding over the ridge inside the upper mandible.
Enjoy...if the sound doesn't bother you. You can put it on cue and make a cute trick out of it if you like, haha.

The thought of putting it on cue did not even occur to me.
I do like the sound.....there is actually not one sound he makes that I do not enjoy hearing, even the louder and supposedly more annoying ones (the sounds that everyone else finds awful or too loud) I like (when they are not directed into my ear canal!). He does not scream an awful lot but does like to make sure his lungs can belt out a good sound every now and then......he usually screams when he hears me pull into the driveway if I have the music fairly loud in the car, first it is MUM he yells then if I take too long to respond verbally or for him to see me through the window he will do the typical macaw scream. Hehehe I have to be very aware of this behavior and prepared to respond fast (the neighbors must think I am crazy talking to myself in the driveway :D) when I get home at some of the ungodly hours I arrive home. He always waits till I turn the car off and he hears the car door opening and closing I am told.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Omgawd.... The tongue!!!!! I love the tongue!!!!
:swoon: So precious! My first thought was somebirdy was expecting treats.

Is this similar to the breathy beak clicking sound Dexter makes? Puffin makes it too when she's on me.
I always thought of Puffin's clicking as nervousness or excitement. It reminds me of a cartoon character's teeth chattering when they're cold? But I wouldn't consider it breathy.

Or maybe she has a softer clicking sound that maybe I'm just so used to that I don't notice? :chin: