• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Ok. I called the vet today to get emmett's cbc and culture results. I was told that he still has trace amounts of bacteria in his cloaca and his wbc count is still slightly elevated. He has already had two rounds of antibiotics so far. Since this past round of tests Em has been on Bene Bac mixed in with his mash to help boost good bactera growth. When I talked to them today they told me that our vet wants him to be on a holistic supplement called DMG. It's suppose to help build his immune system. I was wondering if anyone has used this with their bird or furry critter? I trust my vet, however, would like to hear from anyone who has used it if possible.
Thanks guys!
P.S I feel like having a few words with his breeder...not pleased at all.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
While searching on the net I found this article. I spoke to a tech today and will call back and ask if Dr. S can give me a quick call back. We are going to try it but I do have some questions. I'm not sure if this will be a long term thing and if she can tell me about any prior cases where DMG was used. Ok, here is the article. It's long but very informative and well written.
DMG and Birds

Posted by Leslie Morán in Behavior, Birds, Health on Jan 26th, 2010 | no responses
Originally published in Parrots magazine, April 2006, issue #99 in my monthly column The Holistic Parrot
DMG, A Nutrient Breakthrough

From wild bird rescue to enhancing wellness in companion parrots, DMG has been documented as producing amazing results. One wildlife rehabilitation facility reported a significant decrease in the length of time needed for recovery and rehabilitation before release back into the wild. This center has also recorded a sharp decrease in stress related behaviors commonly observed in captive wild birds. These included rapid breathing, loss of muscle mass from the keel (breast bone), and refusal to eat. Many birds had recoveries better than expected and overall survival rates increased.
While with companion parrots, or in the aviary, positive improvements have been seen in birds with chronic feather picking (or over grooming) habits, immune related diseases and infections and liver toxicity. DMG has also been effective in reducing and even eliminating stress related behaviors.
But what is DMG and how can it help so many diverse situations?
DMG (dimethylglycine) is an vital component of both animal and human metabolism. Biochemically, it is formed from the simplest amino acid, glycine. The two hydrogen atoms are replaced with methyl (CH3) groups on the nitrogen atom. Because of its construction, DMG easily supplies methyl groups to biochemical reactions throughout the body. These methyl groups provide essential building blocks for a huge number of metabolic processes.
Due to the high demand the cells of the body have for methyl groups and the strategic position they hold in cellular metabolism DMG increases the efficiency of cellular reactions and improves the nutritional environment of the cell. This is why DMG can produce such a wide range of positive benefits in the body.
But what does all this biochemistry mean for the health of your parrot?
According to Roger V. Kendall, PhD, in his book, Building Wellness with DMG, ”DMG provides useful building units for the biosynthesis of vitamins, hormones, neurotransmitters, antibodies, nucleic acids and other metabolically active molecules. It improves oxygen utilization to reduce hypoxic ( low oxygen) states in the body. DMG improves the immune response by increasing resistance to disease and infection. It has antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-tumor properties and modulates inflammation responses. DMG aids in cardiovascular functions by reducing elevated cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglyceride levels and improves circulation. It possesses anti-cancer activity, while also preventing metastasis (the spread of cancer). DMG enhances energy levels, endurance and muscle metabolism. It improves physical and mental performance, neurological function and mental clarity. DMG reduces seizures. It improves glucose metabolism (storage and utilization) and can "R" word cataract development, it also aids in detoxification and enhances liver function.”
DMG can nutritionally support nearly every area of the body. Since everyone has a unique biochemistry DMG has the ability to individually nourish each specific area requiring additional support. It has the ability to help the body naturally heal and regenerate itself and can prevent disease from even developing in the first place. According to Kendall, “Nutraceuticals are nutritional supplements that build wellness … Nutraceuticals support and correct deficient metabolic pathways. Supplementation with DMG can be an important part of a preventive [health care] program that delays the aging process and reduces the occurrence of degenerative disease as a person [or a parrot] gets older.”
This type of nutraceutical is also called a metabolic enhancer. A metabolic enhancer improves the health, performance, adaptability, and function of the body – but only when present in sufficient amounts to support the deficient bodily systems. DMG fits the profile of a metabolic enhancer because it increases oxygen utilization, reduces lactic acid levels, improves metabolism, optimizes energy levels, and modulates the immune system for a healthier body. According to Kendall, “DMG works in a way the prevents stress from throwing the body out of balance.”
A substance that helps the body adjust to various types of stress, without having any adverse side effects is called an adaptogen. In this capacity, DMG helps normalize and regulate bodily systems, enabling the body to adapt and reestablish homeostasis (balance) within the body.
DMG is available in either a liquid or tablet. For hand tame birds the liquid can be put directly in the beak, or applied to soft food. The tablets can be dissolved in drinking water. The amount of DMG required depends on the weight and health condition of your parrot. Because DMG can affect nearly every part of the body I utilize it in treatment protocols to help balance out an individualized healing plan.
If you can only use one supplement, DMG is at the top of my list. Many of my birds receive it daily. Visit our DMG Products page.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

We use DMG for our birds. We have one that gets some twice a day. DMG is safe, easy to mix and good for the birds. DMG allows us to reduce the phenobarbital dosage we give on of the birds that has seizures. Since your vet is recommending DMG you might also want to ask him about the herbs Olive leaf extract, Astragalas, and Echinacea for immune boosters.

gary

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Thank you! I really. Appreciate your reply. Do you purchase your DMG from your vet or health store & what brand? I am going to give her a call today and will ask her about the other herbs. When I was younger my mom would give me echinacea to boost my immune system, I think it worked very well. Thank you once again!

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

We purchase ours at a health food store and the DMG is in tablet form and has to be mixed with water. Your vet will have to give you the correct dosage if you mix your own. He may have the premixed in a dropper bottle at his clinic.

Here is a good article on DMG, read it a couple of times before talking to your vet. Note the dosage and loading dose at the bottom of the page.

DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium

Dimethylglycine (DMG), Immune Boosting Supplement for Cats and Dogs - Immuno DMG Liquid

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Great information, thanks Gary. Nice to see you posting. :)

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Thank you Gary! I did read that it comes in both tablet and liquid form. I think to start I would opt to use liquid since giving him oral meds is really easy. Plus I won't have to worry about mixing the tablets with water. If this is something she wants emmett to be on long term, I may purchase the tabs when the liquid runs out, and I'm confident in mixing it up. Thank you again for the article, I will read it when I get home from work before I call Dr. S.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Just read both articles. Sounds like really great stuff! And it's not that expensive, I found a few places that sell Vetri-DMG 120 ml for under 25 dollars. That would probably last him forever! Thanks again guys! I really appreciate the input! :hug8:

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Do you know how long the shelf life of liquid dmg is after it's opened? Ordered a bottle of it today. I spoke to my vet, she said that what I ordered is the same as what they carry in the office.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Started the DMG last night. I am going to keep him on it for two months and then we are going to do another cbc. I am moving back up north in 6 weeks so I'll have to get a copy of his record and all lab results and do his follow up visit up there. I already have a great vet lined up. (let's hope we don't have to see him very often. lol!)

Status
Not open for further replies.