• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent dizzy, doesn't fly. help

Jassu

Sitting on the front steps
Yesterday when I wasn't home, my bf called me and said that our little cockatiel is dizzy. I got home and he really was. Tiel didn't like when we touched his wings (usually he likes it). Today he stopped flying. He doesn't communicate with other birds and wants to be near us. We watched his wings and didn't find anything. He does eat and drink water. As I see - I think it's hard to step up because he does it very carefully. He's not sleepy. He had a great appetite for carrots.
He has diarrhea but their poop is liquid when they get too much fresh food.

At first I was thinking about intoxication. Maybe he eat something that he shouldn't. I used googe and found symptoms: bad appetite, diarrhea, sleepy and vomiting.
Well he doesn't want to sleep, he doesn't vomit, he has pretty good appetite.

Can't go to the vet because it was closed yesterday and is closed today.

Can somebody please help us?

Jassu

On Friday we had visitors because I graduated. They all wanted to see them. Could it be stress? ...

Tommymarshall

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
How old is he? Has he been barbering? Does he get pellets? How hot are his feet?

Jassu

How old is he? Has he been barbering? Does he get pellets? How hot are his feet?
He is 10 weeks old.
No barbering.
Their food has pellets in it.
His feets are warm but not hot.

Jassu

He is resting on my chest.
Maybe he could have fever?

Jassu

We have antibiotics a little (1,5mg) and we have glucose....

Tommymarshall

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Is he more cuddly than usual? Does he stay puffed up longer than usual? How long has he been sleeping?

Jassu

Is he more cuddly than usual? Does he stay puffed up longer than usual? How long has he been sleeping?
He has always been cuddly. He's not puffed. He's awake, sleeps a bit and he's awake. I took him on my chest because he was watching me and usually that look means that he wants to be near.
He just pooped on me and the poop was normal (green and white, not liquid).

Attachments

Tommymarshall

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
You say he doesn't want to sleep. He needs 10-12 hours per night. Routine is how they thrive. Congratulations on graduating! But if you had a bunch of people over that all wanted to hold the bird he could have been up later than usual?
Secondly there is no way anyone treated him with chocolate or avacado right?(toxic). I think you do need to get him to the vet as soon as possible. the poop thing is good, not puffy all the time is good, it could be stress and lack of sleep. My teil will only eat a little, has a lot of the same symptoms if he doesn't get his beauty sleep.
I certainly wish the best for both of you! And he is a very pretty bird!

Jassu

You say he doesn't want to sleep. He needs 10-12 hours per night. Routine is how they thrive. Congratulations on graduating! But if you had a bunch of people over that all wanted to hold the bird he could have been up later than usual?
Secondly there is no way anyone treated him with chocolate or avacado right?(toxic). I think you do need to get him to the vet as soon as possible. the poop thing is good, not puffy all the time is good, it could be stress and lack of sleep. My teil will only eat a little, has a lot of the same symptoms if he doesn't get his beauty sleep.
I certainly wish the best for both of you! And he is a very pretty bird!
No chocolate or avacado because I don't like those things and we don't buy this. Maybe I should put him in a cage and put it to another room and cover it? So he could sleep in peace? My bf actually has been awake pretty late and I told him that birds need to sleep at least 10 hours.

Jassu

He flew yesterday, twice. He is still dizzy and wants our attention as always.
Going to the vet soon. Bad thing is that the vet who is in this little town - she doesn't know much about birds. Good thing is that she's a great person and she will do everything that she can do. I will let you know.

Tommymarshall

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Please do, yeah I don't have a close avian vet either. But I do have access with a heck of a drive. I hope everything goes well.
:) :)

Jassu

We got medication. Can't remember the name of it (difficult name)
. 3 drops per day. He doesn't want to sleep even in a covered cage. He sleeps when I or my bf pet him gently. I was doing it for an hour and he was so peaceful . When I stopped then he opened his eyes and gave me the look - "What happend? Why did you stop?" ... Sadly I can't see signs of recovery... We hope the best. He just got medication and it's not like BOOOOF and everything is fine.

Tommymarshall

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
unfortuatly no boooof. What was the diagnosis? Maybe someone can help with recovery times? I want to make boooofs manditory :)
Please let me know and I wish the best for you!

Jassu

unfortuatly no boooof. What was the diagnosis? Maybe someone can help with recovery times? I want to make boooofs manditory :)
Please let me know and I wish the best for you!
The doctor wasn't sure. Maybe cold? On Wednesday we washed the window indside and out.. While washing it outside granny opened the door and there was a draft (??? Don't know the word in English. Google doesn't help much).
You all should know the sound when wet bird is flying - almost the same sound was when my bird was flying (yeserday and today once). He was a little upset because my bf didn't want him walking on the keyboard because he was playing "imprtant" game - that's why he flew away from him.
Good thing is that now he is walking more and isn't so dizzy... A little still is. Tomorrow my bf will look after him.. I can't because I have exams in car school and have to go to the bigger city to buy more food for them...

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Does he still get 10+ hours of darkness? Even if he isn't sleeping he could still benefit from the rest.

Tommymarshall

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Wow! I totally thought English was your first language. (Draft... A slight wind that makes you hot or cold)
I'm a little unsure on the last post though. Did he fly into the window or did he just fly because bf was upset?
Walking is good.
What country are you from? That just a personal question.