• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY window perch to minimize mess?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Im not quite sure if this is even possible, or maybe someone has a better idea. This is not for a parrot but my corvid Nera, she is apart of the family and is out all day with us.

My issue is that she is messy with her food and water, much worse than my large parrots. She would fling wet food all over the room and would tap on her water bowls giving the whole room a bath. The whole room her perch is in has dried water droplets all over everything.

I would love to minimize the mess, and i think i have a pretty good idea. Her perch is beside a big window, im thinking i could make something like this.
1683789827279.jpeg
Unfortunately they don’t sell these here so i have to make one myself, or at least something that serves it’s purpose. I could put her bowls there so when she splashes the water and flings food, most of it is caught on the side panels. Another plus would be that i can put some toys that she can stack and pick up on the area too.

if anyone have similar ideas or solutions to messes they are welcome!

here she is, she is a sweetheart, its a shame that they have such a bad reputation, they are such intelligent creatures. She is so gentle, even when she is annoyed she won’t peck and will communicate another way that she wants to be left alone.
FDA0E1DE-844F-4E0D-A196-AE184C9DD9E3.jpeg

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I am the worst at these DIY things... but oh my word...look how cute she is!! Is she a crow, or a jackdaw or something??

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's beautiful!!! I adore corvids.

I use cheap shower curtains to line the wall and floor where my birds hang out. The ones I've been getting are from IKEA and are washable polyester but are kind of plasticky or slippery to touch, so they're really easy to rinse/scrape off before putting them in the wash.

I love the idea of making your own window perch! I used curtain rod hangers on the side of my window to hold branches for my bird to perch on. I wonder if you could do something like that and then cut a piece of acrylic to make a shelf on a level underneath. I love the idea of being able to stack toys for her!

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it would be possible to diy something similar with acrylic sheets and silicone sealant like how you would make a fish tank (with an open side)

I have kitchen backsplash protectors on my walls where my birds usually eat their fresh food and it's very easy to wipe down

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you contacted the vendor who sells these windows perches to ask if they’ll post to your country? Most of our vendors will happily post their goods worldwide.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Have you contacted the vendor who sells these windows perches to ask if they’ll post to your country? Most of our vendors will happily post their goods worldwide.
Some similar looking ones can be shipped here unfortunately the tax and shipping cost more than the product so i think making something similar might be more cost effective.

She's beautiful!!! I adore corvids.

I use cheap shower curtains to line the wall and floor where my birds hang out. The ones I've been getting are from IKEA and are washable polyester but are kind of plasticky or slippery to touch, so they're really easy to rinse/scrape off before putting them in the wash.

I love the idea of making your own window perch! I used curtain rod hangers on the side of my window to hold branches for my bird to perch on. I wonder if you could do something like that and then cut a piece of acrylic to make a shelf on a level underneath. I love the idea of being able to stack toys for her!
Oh yeah thats a good idea, i might be able to do that. Nera enjoy toys that she can pick up more than hanging ones. Unlike parrots she doesn’t really destroy toys (at least the usual parrot way).

She loves picking up toys and putting them in a pile. The problem i have now is that she has no ledge to put them on, once they are on the ground i will have to pick them up because once she is on the floor she won’t fly back up to her perch and will beg for me to help her up :p (she is fully flighted and will fly from perch to perch).

I think it would be possible to diy something similar with acrylic sheets and silicone sealant like how you would make a fish tank (with an open side)

I have kitchen backsplash protectors on my walls where my birds usually eat their fresh food and it's very easy to wipe down
Oh yes I searched those up and they seem like they can work well. I am struggling to find clear ones though. I am able to get custom cut acrylic sheets (can even ask them to bend it). I also work with aquariums so i think i should be able to silicone them if needed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
An old photo but I have one of these that is made with PVC and suction cups.

Screenshot_20230511-233237.png

Not my photo but better view of what it is

Screenshot_20230511-233403.png

When I had it on a window I used cling film on the window sill below it. Now I have it on a sliding door so I use a plastic carpet runner. I've seen people use baking trays, shallow plastic totes, boot mats, etc.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
great news, I can get it made for around $60-80. Not exactly the same but it serves the purpose. An acrylic box thing with 4 sides. I will be using java wood as the perch and will put ceramic bowls on the bottom for food and drinks. She can’t be around unfastened bowls that she can throw because she finds flipping bowls fun ;). Yesterday she decided to be an artist and throw a bowl of raspberries against the wall.

would also love to know what you guys use as foraging toys. A plus with crows is that they don’t chew wood and rubber into pieces so I’ve been using dog puzzle toys. I might need to buy the more advanced ones as she is getting too good at the ones I have.
8C961A53-7179-4EBE-84CE-C238EB70696D.jpeg
i have found that I have to modify parrot training methods to cater to her as she does not learn the same way parrots do. She also seems to learn from example better, once she sees you doing something she will try to replicate it. I also find that telling her items and colors as i give them to her works well. She has associated around 20 words with items and colors. she is still young and isn’t able to talk yet. Like a kid though she would babble to herself and make weird noises to discover the noises she can make. First time she did so freaked me out a bit as i thought something was wrong, what i heard was “BABEBRRRRA AAA aa wAh rrra” thought she was choking :facepalm:

An old photo but I have one of these that is made with PVC and suction cups.

View attachment 429002

Not my photo but better view of what it is

View attachment 429003

When I had it on a window I used cling film on the window sill below it. Now I have it on a sliding door so I use a plastic carpet runner. I've seen people use baking trays, shallow plastic totes, boot mats, etc.
Thanks! I think i think i might line the acrylic with something, would have to see if its needed though.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
would also love to know what you guys use as foraging toys. A plus with crows is that they don’t chew wood and rubber into pieces so I’ve been using dog puzzle toys. I might need to buy the more advanced ones as she is getting too good at the ones I have.
View attachment 429166
i have found that I have to modify parrot training methods to cater to her as she does not learn the same way parrots do. She also seems to learn from example better, once she sees you doing something she will try to replicate it. I also find that telling her items and colors as i give them to her works well. She has associated around 20 words with items and colors. she is still young and isn’t able to talk yet. Like a kid though she would babble to herself and make weird noises to discover the noises she can make. First time she did so freaked me out a bit as i thought something was wrong, what i heard was “BABEBRRRRA AAA aa wAh rrra” thought she was choking :facepalm:
I have this Barrel of Fun forager and this Paddlewheel Forager for my birds. Maybe similar acrylic puzzle foragers for parrots might work for your crow? I tend to think crows like to puzzle solve and I often see videos of them figuring out how to open containers/lids and whatnot

I've also seen people use dog snuffle mats to let birds forage in them for food and treats which seems fun to try too!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
These parrot ones perhaps :) but I agree that dog toys will likely give you more options!

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! It looks great! How's Nera liking it?