• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Toy Thread

Komsur

Walking the driveway
My hard drive broke in my computer so I took it to bits and made a mirror/bell for my guys. Not put it in yet but they'll love it.

Curious to know what you guys have DIYed over the years.
129588928_164834708676125_6871441525876586846_n.jpg

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I would not recommend using odds and ends like this unless you know for certain it's made from unaltered stainless steel.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
i have made this string with beads on it . wood beads . and my budgies carry it every where with them , there is only like 4 beads on each of theirs left but its sooo cutee how much they love it lol

Komsur

Walking the driveway
I would not recommend using odds and ends like this unless you know for certain it's made from unaltered stainless steel.
Ah, good job it hasn't gone in the cage then as HDD discs are usually aluminium, I'm assuming this is unsafe then?

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
image-20200916_194010.jpg
I make so many toys I don't have pictures of them all...:shy::p:wacky:

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Ah, good job it hasn't gone in the cage then as HDD discs are usually aluminium, I'm assuming this is unsafe then?
Aluminium, if pure is bird safe..
But it is my understanding that hard drives have coatings to prevent rust, lower friction and for better conductivity.. now those are a risk I think.
Mkst likely your guys would just beak it.. I woulld keep it far away nonetheless, to be safe.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
My hard drive broke in my computer so I took it to bits and made a mirror/bell for my guys. Not put it in yet but they'll love it.

Curious to know what you guys have DIYed over the years.
View attachment 364569
Make sure a head can't get stuck in that center hole.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Or glass/ceramic.

Komsur

Walking the driveway
I'd just like to say to everybody, even though I intended this thread to be for DIY toys, I very much appreciate the advice that was given also. Without you guys I'd of put this in there by now!

SweetPetit

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Annie
I made these covid looking wreath balls filled with millet and then stuffed with filler to make it more challenging/interesting. And recombined or up cycled toy from bits and parts of other toys.

Attachments