• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Stand

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Hey! I've wanted to build a stand for the birds for quite some time and I've been looking at some threads on it. So I finally decided on using PVC pipes and vet tape but is there anything I should know before I buy the materials? Should I air it out, use f10 on it, etc?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Get a PVC pipe cutter to make life easier- makes nice clean perfectly straight cuts. I made sure the PVC I got was at least approved for drinking water- there are different grades of PVC pipe here so I am sure it would be the same for you in the US. Get more elbows and t junctions than you think you will need and keep your receipt to take them back if needed at the end... I changed my design a heap of times before Burt and I were happy with what we had so I was really pleased I had a good supply of elbows and t's because we were not limited to one particular set up. I also screwed all of my connectors and pipes together so some birdy could not pull them apart.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Get a PVC pipe cutter to make life easier- makes nice clean perfectly straight cuts. I made sure the PVC I got was at least approved for drinking water- there are different grades of PVC pipe here so I am sure it would be the same for you in the US. Get more elbows and t junctions than you think you will need and keep your receipt to take them back if needed at the end... I changed my design a heap of times before Burt and I were happy with what we had so I was really pleased I had a good supply of elbows and t's because we were not limited to one particular set up. I also screwed all of my connectors and pipes together so some birdy could not pull them apart.
Thank you! I'll definitely be investing in a pair of pipe-cutters. I'll also be getting some pipes that are drinkable. :) How thick were your pipes? I thinking 1/2 should be good for their tiny feet.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you! I'll definitely be investing in a pair of pipe-cutters. I'll also be getting some pipes that are drinkable. :) How thick were your pipes? I thinking 1/2 should be good for their tiny feet.
I could not tell you the size without actually going and checking the pipes but I am guessing I would have used a thicker pipe than you will be using as Burts feet are a lot larger than the feet your playstand will be for. There is a little tool you put over the pipe and spin it round and round the pipe to cut it, they were a heck of a lot cheaper than the actual pipe cutters were and I found out they work much better than pipe cutters after borrowing a set of actual cutters.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
@Wardy did a great job documenting his build a while back...

Another...

Last edited:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to ensure you use furniture grade pvc pipe.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Here's one of the ones I made! The dishes aren't in. I like wood perches

IMG_0051.jpeg

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
This might be a dumb question but do the PVC fittings also have to be furniture grade?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
This might be a dumb question but do the PVC fittings also have to be furniture grade?
I just got whatever because they don't chew them or sit on them. The long wood perch is from an old cage.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I actually chose all safe plumbing fittings as they hold up to more bashing and pressure than furniture grade stuff and were easier to find here and also ended up cheaper.

Furniture grade PVC simply means it is usually much lighter in weight and prettier to look at as it's finish is shiny with no writing (which comes off building/plumbing PVC easily anyhow) and has been UV treated to be out in the direct sun.

After speaking to a few plumbers, Bunnings staff and the PVC place I found for furniture grade pipes I chose to go with all proper plumbing fittings that are meant to be very strong and safe under pressure as Burt has more trouble breaking that than the furniture grade stuff that he's had on toys and I had as a washing basket frame that he shattered easily while simply investigating it, the furniture grade stuff would have cost me a lot more as I would have had to order it and have it shipped to me and one chomp from Burt would see it broken to bits- Plus I need every excuse I can find to visit Bunnings!!

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
@Shezbug
Just to double-check, it should be fine as long as the pipe is drinkable?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug
Just to double-check, it should be fine as long as the pipe is drinkable?
I’m not sure how different what we have here is to what you guys have available but from all the questions I asked that is what I decided to use as it was safe but also more durable than the furniture stuff I had experience with.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I’m not sure how different what we have here is to what you guys have available but from all the questions I asked that is what I decided to use as it was safe but also more durable than the furniture stuff I had experience with.
Thank you!