• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY shredding toys from scratch!

peesh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ulyana
Hello everyone, I wanted to share these shredding/foraging toys I just made for my budgies completely from scratch! IMG_20220601_004052.jpg IMG_20220601_004106.jpg
I dyed sheets of paper pink and light green (beetroot and spinach respectively) and used some paper bags I had at home. Then learned to make finger traps (I've got a whole stock of them now :laugh:) and for the second toy I made an origami bomb and stuffed it with paper and paper towel strips. Also used pieces of paper net for extra shredding opportunity. Basically this is to show that you can spend little to no money to make fun toys for your birds!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Cool.

I would be concerned about the potential for mold or bacterial issues using beetroot and spinach without something to preserve them- I’d prefer to use actual food dye rather than the food itself.

I’m impressed you learned how to make finger traps! How awesome.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
You did a great job on those toys! I'm sure your birds are gonna love tearing them to pieces!

peesh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ulyana
Cool.

I would be concerned about the potential for mold or bacterial issues using beetroot and spinach without something to preserve them- I’d prefer to use actual food dye rather than the food itself.

I’m impressed you learned how to make finger traps! How awesome.
Now that you've mentioned it, I should keep an eye on the toys for possible issues from the dye. My birds have had a net with beetroot dyed paper towel strips in the cage and it's been okay so far but you can never be too safe! I'm going to experiment with other natural pigments later too and maybe try finding something to preserve them.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
How did you make your own finger traps? I tired once and failed.

peesh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ulyana
How did you make your own finger traps? I tired once and failed.
Honestly, I just used the wikihow tutorial. I failed several times too, but kept practicing and eventually came to a point where I can now make them without even glueing the strips to a base. Also, make sure to avoid using regular glue on the ends, I used wheat flour mixed with water and it holds the paper together enough and is safe.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Those are really cool toys!